IE8 doesn't show editor bar or smiley's

Started by Tigers X, August 23, 2011, 02:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigers X

Hey Folks,

I try not to bother and fix most of my problems on my own, but this one has me stumped.  I have searched all of this forum and have seen similar topics involving IE but not this one.

It only happens while in IE, my members who have to use it (ie work) do not see the editor bar or any smileys.  I can replicate the issue myself if I use IE8.  See below:

The only Mods I currently have on:
SMFPacks Shoutbox    1.0.3    
Simple Audio Video Embedder    2.0.1
Bad Behavior mod    1.5.4    
Simple .htaccess Cache Mod    2.6

and the issue was happening before these were installed.  It has to be a theme error, I use my own theme that I have customized myself, but I don't know where to fix the code.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and site is www.tigersx.com/forum [nofollow]

kat

Tried compatibility mode?

If that doesn't work, try checking "Disable WYSIWYG editor".

Admin>Post and topics>Post settings.

Illori

does it happen in other browsers? does it happen with the default theme?

Tigers X

Quote from: K@ on August 23, 2011, 02:34:02 PM
Tried compatibility mode?

If that doesn't work, try checking "Disable WYSIWYG editor".

Admin>Post and topics>Post settings.

Tried it with compatibility mode, doesn't change anything.  My WYSIWG is automatically off for the forum, if I turn it on it doesn't do anything either.

Tigers X

Quote from: Illori on August 23, 2011, 02:34:47 PM
does it happen in other browsers? does it happen with the default theme?

It doesn't happen in Firefox.

Only my IE users have said anything.  (I tried the IE7 push script for index.template) doesn't change anything either.

Just changed to the default theme (CURVE) and surprisingly yes it happens there as well. I figured it was my theme. ???

Illori

are there any errors reported by IE when you go to the post page? any errors in the error log?

Tigers X

Quote from: Illori on August 23, 2011, 03:32:11 PM
are there any errors reported by IE when you go to the post page? any errors in the error log?

Funny...I was just about to post that I have zero errors in my error log.

errors reported by IE when you go to the post page?
  Not sure what you mean on this one?

Illori

any triangles or anything on the bottom of the page to say there are errors?

Tigers X

Do you mean an IE8 Developer debug?

If I run the debugger I get this.

QuotesSmileyRowContent += this.opt.sSmileyTemplate.easyReplace({
            smileySource: this.opt.oSmileyLocations[sLocation][iSmileyRowIndex][iSmileyIndex].sSrc.php_htmlspecialchars(),
            smileyDescription: this.opt.oSmileyLocations[sLocation][iSmileyRowIndex][iSmileyIndex].sDescription.php_htmlspecialchars(),
            smileyCode: this.opt.oSmileyLocations[sLocation][iSmileyRowIndex][iSmileyIndex].sCode.php_htmlspecialchars(),
            smileyId: this.opt.sUniqueId + '_' + sLocation + '_' + iSmileyRowIndex.toString() + '_' + iSmileyIndex.toString()
         })

Quote'this.opt.oSmileyLocations[...][...][...].sSrc' is null or not an object
QuoteLocated in   default/scripts/editor.js?fin20, line 1435 character 4

I am looking at the code now.

Illori

Tigers X

Quote from: Illori on August 23, 2011, 03:45:30 PM
that could be part of the problem.
:D

sSmileyRowContent += this.opt.sSmileyTemplate.easyReplace({

That is line 1435...any ideas?  Do you mind pulling up your script to see if something is different.

You would think that would cause a problem with any browser though...no?

Illori

check a clean file from the large upgrade package if they are different upload a fresh copy.

Tigers X

Quote from: Illori on August 23, 2011, 03:52:23 PM
check a clean file from the large upgrade package if they are different upload a fresh copy.
Negative Ghostrider...the script is identical.  ???

Illori

Tigers X

Quote from: Illori on August 23, 2011, 04:04:17 PM
tell your users not to use ie :P
Seriously right!!!

I got it though...I emptied the file cache on the site and everything seems to be there.

Thanks for the help Illori

Gent

Hi

I've got the same problem on www.hififorum.nl

Everything works fine in all browsers, except IE8.
If you use IE8 then the smileys and the formatting bar don't show when you write a post.

The error message that is generated by IE8 is below:

QuoteWebpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; InfoPath.1)
Timestamp: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:24:30 UTC

Message: 'this.opt.oSmileyLocations[...][...][...].sSrc' is null or not an object
Line: 1435
Char: 4
Code: 0
URI: http://www.hififorum.nl/Themes/default/scripts/editor.js?fin20

can you please help out?

We run a forum for audio enthousiasts and some of our older members are not that savvy when it comes to computers. They are reluctant to switch to Chrome or Firefox and  just want to stick to what they know which is Win XP and IE8.

DiMarco

Hi, just dropping by to mention I solved this problem on hififorum.

It turned out the cause was SMFpacks shoutbox. I removed the shoutbox from pages "post" and "post2" through its admin panel. Problem now no longer exists.

The shoutbox scripting probably messes up the javascript that displays the icons and smileys on the "post" pages.

kat

Thanks, for sharing that, DiMarco!

Might-well help others out, in future. :)

Advertisement: