News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Windows Server not logging in

Started by CobainSchofield, August 24, 2011, 06:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CobainSchofield

Hi,

I have got a few of these forums running on Linux servers with no problems however, a client requested that I set up a forum on his site which is hosted on a Windows server. I have been to hell and back trying to get it to run, in the end I had to install it on a Linux server and transfer it accross and change the settings etc. I've got it to work to a certain extent, but now it won't log in, it just says 'Incorrect Password'. I'm thinking that it may be a problem with the encyrption and decryption of the password on the Windows server?

Anybody else having this problem or just me? Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :-)

Cobain.

Martine M

Was it a fresh install?
Or did you move your forum to the windows host?
Cause maybe then it has something to with the permissions u have to give to files?

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=5

Running SMF 2.09 - Diego Andrés Theme Elegant Mind - TP 1.0 - Main Forum language English - Browser Firefox 33

rawlogic

If there were an incompatibility between the encryption on the Windows and Linux server, it would more likely be related to PHP version than the platform.

If you're using SMF 2.0 and PHP 5.x, you can regenerate your password hash as long as you have access to your database.

Simply use the following php script to generate your hash, where user = your username and password = your password.

<?php
echo sha1("user"."password");

Then run it from the command line like this:
php myscript.php

You then copy the resulting hash and paste it into your passwd field in your smf_members table.

There are also online sha1 hash generators, but you'd be giving them your username and password. :)

PM me if you want me to provide hands on help and you're willing to temporarily provide db and ftp or shell access.

Illori

Advertisement: