News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF ver 2.0RC3 - Difference of Standard vs Core vs Curve?

Started by Siirist, March 30, 2010, 01:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hi,  :)

We were going to download and install a mod, but it gave choices of
"Standard", "Core" or "Curve" (huh?).   ???

Don't know the difference and doing a search on Core or Curve would result in many many replies to just learn the differences between each of these.  :-[

Perhaps it would a good idea to sticky this on this board so that others that don't know, can see it at the top.  ;)

Hoping someone can answer  :-\ and thanking in advance.  :)

Be Well,
Cloud 8)
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Arantor

KensonPlays

"Core" is what SMF 1.1.11's default theme looked like..

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

CapadY

Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Siirist

*With arms stretched out, calls to the GREAT SMF GODS*

I have looked through some 500 mods since upgrading to SMF ver 2.0 RC3.
As a result of having seen so many, I have forgotten the mod that requested this.  :-[
So it no longer matters what the differences between Standard, Core, or Curve are.  :-\

Because of this error on my part, I have marked my original post as solved and this topic might as well be deleted.

I am sorry and if I find it again that a mod asked what "version" I am using, I will link it in my post.

Cloud
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Siirist

Quote from: Arantor on March 30, 2010, 02:13:20 PM
What mod?!

Quote from: capady on March 30, 2010, 02:42:52 PM
I'm also wondering what MOD is asking this :)

Well, I finally found it.  ;D

"unread" and "replies" tabs for main menu

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1497

Not sure which one to go with. ???

Thoughts or suggestions?  O:)

Take Care,
Cloud 8)
Needed information:

hadesflames

It looks like you're using the Core theme on your site, so download "unread_and_replies_tabs_v3.0.1 CORE.zip"

Siirist

Quote from: hadesflames on April 04, 2010, 03:01:25 AM
It looks like you're using the Core theme on your site, so download "unread_and_replies_tabs_v3.0.1 CORE.zip"

hadesflames,

Ya, we are using core, and it wasn't till I went to Admin > Themes and Layout that we realized that Curve was also a theme installed by the 2.0 RC3 upgrade.  :-[

We don't like core, but it is all that seems to support anything. So, we got the Installed on Date mod after we had done a SECOND upgrade to eliminate the 6 mods we had installed that did NOT have an un-install.php. >:(

Starting clean, we installed this mod > Sortable Packages (and Installed Time) so we could keep tract of what we installed when. ;)
So we installed google member map, and that was cool,  :)
so then we installed Advanced Contact Form mod, (that we liked from the past) and that went in good,  :)
so we manually installed Colorized Boards (another that we liked from before).  :)

Before modifying any file, we save as Example4-4-10.php.

Well went we really had to manually install Colorized Boards  with some skip overs (some code didn't match so we guessed), :o and it worked, we got more excited, and installed about 4 others (one of them being ezPortal. :o

Well this morning, we found that we couldn't modify boards. It said that ./Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php was WRONG. ???

So we went back and un-installed everything except for Sortable Packages (and Installed Time).
There was  NO difference, STILL BROKE.  >:(

So we renamed ManageBoards.template4-3-10.php > ManageBoards.template.php and everything worked again. ;D

We must go slower - 1 mod a week,  or  at least no more than 1 mod a day.

All that said, we looked at Dream Portal (or tried to) because the name is catchy, but we couldn't find anything to show what it looked like in use.  :(

So, should we use Dream Portal or EzPortal?

And we will try to slow down on installs, but we REALLY like Colorized Boards, so we will prolly put that up first

(or will Google Member Maps screw it up when installed, someone said to install Google Member Maps FIRST couse it will mess other mods up).  ::)

Hmmmm......

A lot to consider.

Thanking in advance so that we can hope for some guidance. :)

By the way, our preferred themes are Bright Forest (2.0 RC3) or 
Reloaded v1.3 (2.0 RC1), or
OmegaGreen  (2.0 RC2),
but Bright Forest is RC3 but doesn't work with a lot of mods :-\

Be Well,
Cloud 8)
Needed information:

CapadY

With Bright Forest all MOD's will work, but some MOD's need modifications of the theme file's

Siirist

Quote from: capady on April 04, 2010, 04:52:52 PM
With Bright Forest all MOD's will work, but some MOD's need modifications of the theme file's

capady,

Thanks for replying. :D

Okay, so what you are saying is the same as a parse, right? Where the Mod Parse tells us to go to ./Themes/languages -- etc, etc.... ???

And if we do that, the mods will work? Because we would rather have Bright Forest than any thing else we've see so far, so many themes are dark. :-\

Thanks again.
Cloud 8)
Needed information:

CapadY

What you suggest is right.

Only, the find and replace wouldn't always work because the file is not equel with the one in the defalt theme. So sometimes you have to figure out some things a little by yourself :)

Norv

Please note that Curve is SMF's default theme from SMF 2.0 RC2 forward. So it will the theme most likely best supported/tested by future SMF 2.0 mods. Not core (core is the old default).

On another note, on SMF 2.0, please see : when you install a mod, after you click "Apply mod", you can see on Package manager test installation page, a link down the page, saying "Install on other themes". Using it, you can choose to install the mod on other themes than the default theme. Try that with your preferred theme (and if you want, on others as well), and see how it works.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

efa

thank you Norv for giving the straight, solid, no-way-to-misunderstand - answer. <3

i was about to start working on my theme now that  smf2 is out.    (its out? are you for real? *pinches self*)

Core is all i know, so i was going to work from that.
i thought there were just a few bells and whistles difference between it (Core) and Curve.
but it is more like Old Skool and New Skool.

thank you for setting me straight.
i'm glad i checked.

i will be working with the New Skool.  :)

a special note to all my fellow nooblers out there:

they aren't kidding. The Search Button Works. use it.

Advertisement: