News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Users unable to access forum?

Started by Ruddy Kitty, August 28, 2011, 11:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruddy Kitty

I bookmarked it :3 thank you!

How would I go about transferring hosts though? Would they do it, or would I have to do it manually... and how long would it take? How do I make sure everything transfers safely to a new host for not only the web space but the domain name as well?

^SITS^

It makes no sense that your users are only able to access through a proxy unless your host is blocking them.  It's not much trouble transferring hosts.  Our website just recently did it with no hickups.  Your new host may transfer your files for you, or you can easily do it.

Ruddy Kitty

Quote from: ^SITS^ on September 09, 2011, 07:23:04 AM
It makes no sense that your users are only able to access through a proxy unless your host is blocking them.

Hmm... How would I be able to check such a thing? o.o

Illori

you cant but your host might be willing to give you a list of ips banned by the server.

Ruddy Kitty

Quote from: Illori on September 09, 2011, 07:26:14 AM
you cant but your host might be willing to give you a list of ips banned by the server.

Awesome, I'll send them a message right now.

I'm not sure exactly how to word this so I'll ask here... I want to ask my host how much information in mb/gb is transferred while people are trying to load the forum. Like, sometimes it takes a long time to load the forum, and not because it is down but maybe too many people are accessing it at once? Sometimes it times out while trying to load or if it does load it is after a good 2-3+minutes of letting it sit.

Angelina Belle

Why not try one question at a time.

Give them a list of IPs from which users cannot log in.
Ask them if these IPs are blocked.

Lags, though, -- that does not sound like blocking.  Record the times when the problems happen.  Find out if the host can tell you what is going on at your server during that time.  Is the server overloaded.  Are the gateways busy?  That sort of thing.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Advertisement: