Registration is a real pain!!

Started by seacancer, September 03, 2011, 02:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seacancer

I installed SMF 2.0 and after preparing everything,, I found that the registration module is making troubles! I don't think it is a theme problem!

Please I need help in this regards! :)

Problem in details:
After entering the registration information "for new member" and press register,, the page takes too long then the following error appears:
Please see pic attached!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

From what I see - it says the username and e-mail address you gave are already used. Is that not the case?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

seacancer

no, they are not used at all!

do you want me to give you the link of the forum to try?!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

seacancer

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

OK... Now it would seem there is something really wrong...

Tried to register, it ended up giving me a PHP error
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\hosting\7987408\html\fans\Sources\Subs-Post.php on line 760

Do you have any errors in your forums and/or servers error log?
What mods have you installed?

With the stats "0 Posts in 0 Topics by 1 Members." registration should really be a one second thing, not a 30+ second wait...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Actually - Trying to log in now, I first got an error saying "Your request timed out. Please retry the request. "
But at a second try, it showed my account did get created, but is not activated yet.

The error I got there would really suggest that this is a host issue more probably than an SMF issue...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

seacancer

This is the problem!

I dont have errors! I found in my profile: "new mamber is waiting approval" :)
see?

want me to accept? or reject? your membership?!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You can reject it.

Who's your host? Can you access your server's error logs?

And what mods have you installed?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

seacancer

My host is godaddy.com [nofollow], and I did not install any mods! only the theme you are seein!
I will see if I can access the server error log

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ok, GoDaddy was exactly the reason I asked who your host was. I see from a quick google run, that GoDaddy has had similar trouble before with other scripts as well.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Your+request+timed+out.+Please+retry+the+request.+Godaddy&rls=com.microsoft:fi&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Perhaps contact GoDaddy and ask them about this...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

seacancer

I will :)

I really appreciate your help & time! let us see you in the forum ;)

Regards,
Fadi

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Do let us know how it goes with GoDaddy. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

seacancer

godaddy said it is not a problem, the reason may be due to the net connection!

However, I changed the time limit in the script, you can try now and tell me if there is any improvement

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No, the network connection on my end would not cause an error from the server side - they are pulling your leg.

Also, registration in SMF should never take long enough for the 30 seconds to pass...

GoDaddy is sadly known to be a bad host for forums otherwise as well, so this hardly surprises me...

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

seacancer

the funny thing, is that godaddy is linked to SMF directly! I.e,, I dont have to download smf,, I just click a buttom to install it on my domain!

However, did you faced the same problem after removing the time limit?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: seacancer on September 03, 2011, 05:36:35 PM
the funny thing, is that godaddy is linked to SMF directly! I.e,, I dont have to download smf,, I just click a buttom to install it on my domain!
Well, many hosts offer one click installs for different software. It really doesn't mean anything.

Quote from: seacancer on September 03, 2011, 05:36:35 PM
However, did you faced the same problem after removing the time limit?
Sorry, I had to leave back then - didn't try. I'll see how it looks now.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It is still VERY slow - and not on my end mind you ( I have a strong 24Mb down/1Mb up ADSL line here ),
and registration ended in the same PHP error from serverside as before.

"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\hosting\7987408\html\fans\Sources\Subs-Post.php on line 760"

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

seacancer

Hi Aleksi,

I solved it :)

I decided to ask godaddy to change my shared host from "Windows" to "Linux"

Every thing is working fine now! The registration is fast too ;)

I don't know what the real problem was?! But, I do recommend using SMF with Linux

Regards,
Fadi

Advertisement: