News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

No Verification images

Started by Kreator, September 05, 2011, 10:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kreator

I wondered why nobody is registering on my Forum, the images for the Verification have mysteriously dissappeared, although You can still listen to them haha!!

Anybody know where these are stored??

Angelina Belle

In the short term, you could turn off CAPTCHA, but use verification questions.
In the meantime, I will try to get someone who understands this issue to look at your question.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

IchBin™

Need to see a link to your site. If you don't want it public, send it to me via PM.

The images are in the default theme directory in a folder called fonts. But often times mods installed can cause problems too.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

dotan8 seems to have a virus infection....
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

emanuele

If it is animanon than remove the three tabs at the beginning of...maybe index.php?

You should have something like:
<?php
while you must have:
<?php

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

When I checked out those sites in the OPs sig - Animanon seemed to work just fine,
but dotan8 caused my AV to go crazy... So I'd guess there's something inserted in the dotan8 files, causing JS to misbehave on that site...
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

emanuele

Well, I disabled the antivirus (and javascript) and dotan8 doesn't even have a forum as far as I can see...there was one a month ago according to google cache, but now is gone.

While going at http://www.animanon.com/Forum3/index.php?action=verificationcode the image is broken. That's why I suggest to check for those tabs, maybe he disabled the image verification since it was not working properly. ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Kreator

Sorry Guys, There is no Forum on Dotan8 somebody has been messing with the html Files and the Site is parked, I have solved the verification Problem with Recapcha , don`t understand the          <?php bit    theres only one opening and a closing one at the end of the index.php file.

ApplianceJunk

Had the same problem pop up in my forum yesterday and spent a lot of time finding the problem, but with the help of some other SMF members we got it. :)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=453072.msg3165413#msg3165413

The verification image seems to have stopped working over night when no changes had been made.

Angelina Belle

ApplianceJunk, Thanks for the link to your topic.
This was tough for ApplianceJunk, too.
But it seems like, overnight, a bunch of his files were affected by extra carriage returns after the ?>
This caused the problem.
I do not understand whether the files got changed overnight, or his server suddenly got picky about the extra carriage returns overnight.

In any case, he solved the problem by manually editting all the files in his favorite code-ready editor.

It sounds like you may be in the same boat.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

ApplianceJunk

QuoteApplianceJunk, Thanks for the link to your topic.

My pleasure...

I'm still trying to learn just why it happened.

The same spaces show up on my test site I run on a local server, yet the registration verification image shows up on the test site just fine.

Seems to me something changed on the server side over night, but when I contacted my host they said no changes had been made.

I may play around with a fresh install of 2.0.1 and watch for the extra spaces to show up as I install mods I use, just for the fun of it. :)

Edited to add: I realise too regardless of if any changes took place on the server side the space should not be there and I don't believe any changes on the server side caused the spaces.

Also note, it seemed the edit to the index.template.php took care of the registration verification image problem right away. I would edit that one first just to see and then repair the other files.

Angelina Belle

The change could be as subtle as a single setting, I suppose. Or even a change in the user'your .htaccess file, or other setup-and-initialization files. Or setting changes you may have made from your control panel.

How they got there -- could have something to do with the extract-and-upload method used to install SMF in the first place.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on September 21, 2011, 09:45:30 AM
The change could be as subtle as a single setting, I suppose. Or even a change in the user'your .htaccess file, or other setup-and-initialization files. Or setting changes you may have made from your control panel.

How they got there -- could have something to do with the extract-and-upload method used to install SMF in the first place.

So I may never learn why? lol...

Angelina Belle

You could experiment. You could look unpack a zip file on your PC and see if you  immediately get the extra carriage return.
If so, maybe you want to use different settings on your zip extractor.  Or use a different one.
But that seems implausible -- only SOME of your files were affected.

Perhaps some server setting caused it, when the files were written or editted. You will probably never know.
WHY the server never cared about them before, but does now -- you will probably never know.

ApplianceJunk

I hate not knowing, lol..
Even if I don't figure out why I may learn something new along the way. :)

IchBin™

Did you happen to edit any of the files with those extra spaces or lines? I've seen editors that don't handle the line endings properly add the extra spaces/lines.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: IchBin™ on September 21, 2011, 10:36:13 AM
Did you happen to edit any of the files with those extra spaces or lines? I've seen editors that don't handle the line endings properly add the extra spaces/lines.

Can't say I have never edited any of them, but I know that I never edited recaptchalib.php and it got uploaded after the problem showed up because the recaptchalib.php file was from the recaptcha mod I installed so I could use it well I tried to repair the problem with the other registration verification image.

Now I wonder if this problem will show up anytime I install a mod?

Edited to add: sorry IchBin if your question was not for me, as this is not my thread.

IchBin™

Well I suppose it could be that the file currently has windows formatted line endings. And when put onto a server (linux) those line endings are treated differently. Maybe test it by taking the recaptchalib.php file and converting the line endings to linux (notepad++ does this), then install that mod into a test install and see if the same problem occurs.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: IchBin™ on September 21, 2011, 10:51:06 AM
Well I suppose it could be that the file currently has windows formatted line endings. And when put onto a server (linux) those line endings are treated differently. Maybe test it by taking the recaptchalib.php file and converting the line endings to linux (notepad++ does this), then install that mod into a test install and see if the same problem occurs.

I run a test site with win xp and WAMP and another test sit on my mac with MAMP.
I run the file_check.php on both test sites yesterday and the extra line spaces after ?> showed up on both test site in a lot of files, yet the verification image still worked on each site. But then nether test site had a problem with the index.template.php not ending in ?> like so many other files did.

Both sites run SMF 2.0 and I use them basically to play around with mods before deciding if I want to try them on my live site.

It's like over night the index.template.php on my live site got the extra line space added after the ?> for some reason.

Angelina Belle

Or else, over night, the server started caring...

Advertisement: