Started by Ricky., September 07, 2011, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky.

Link to Mod

Compact user info on post Display
by Ricky.
For SMF 2.0, 2.0 RC5

Description

This mod allows you to compact the display of user info in a beautiful way so that your post get more real state space along with better looks, specially useful if you are using SMF forum with fixed width. See screenshot to get better idea. Tested and works on all modern browser including MS Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc.

Demo

Demo can be found here -->
coming soon

Installation

Simply install it via package manager and use. And don't forget to refresh / reload your page if you are unable to see the effect.

Installation on Custom Template

This MOD need manual modification in order to function on custom themes other than default. You can use Package Parser to do the required changes. If you
are unsure about it then you can ask me.

Version

chinaren

I rather like this concept, and installed it on my board.  (SMF 2.0.1 - worked just fine)

However my members didn't like it.  They said it made the posts look too messy, so I uninstalled it.  There may be a calling for this if you could specify what boards it would function on.

Thanks for the effort anyway. 
The Opus Path - The Next Generation of the Written Word

Ricky.

This mod is basically modifies your CSS so as of now membergroup based permission is not possible. I will try to do this if I get some spare time.

Gryzor

Hello!

I installed this yesterday; I quite like it myself, but I'm getting polarized feedback from the users, so I'm not yet sure whether I'll keep it or not.

However, one feature that everyone likes is the new frame (the paper-like, pseudo-3D look) around the user info. Would it be possible to keep this while keeping the flow as it was? What should I do?

Thanks!

PS Found it... just change the .poster area as described in the changes.

BaghdadGhost

Hi Ricky.

thank you for the great tweak. unfortunately I use right to left layout and this mod does not change the look as it was meant to be. I dont know what other changes need to be done to index.css or rtl.css

I also tried the both ones in tips and tricks but same result.

can you help please?

thanks

BaghdadGhost

Quote from: BaghdadGhost on February 20, 2012, 03:43:11 AM
Hi Ricky.

thank you for the great tweak. unfortunately I use right to left layout and this mod does not change the look as it was meant to be. I dont know what other changes need to be done to index.css or rtl.css

I also tried the both ones in tips and tricks but same result.

can you help please?

thanks

never mind, I did it by changing the equivalent codes in rtl.css with some changes also

thanks 

Ricky.

Alright good to know, I was today thinking to test it on test environment to show you changes.

You may share what you did so that it can help others too :)

BaghdadGhost

Quote from: Ricky. on February 22, 2012, 09:22:21 AM
Alright good to know, I was today thinking to test it on test environment to show you changes.

You may share what you did so that it can help others too :)

Thank you Ricky for your effort.

others all I did was changing the following in rtl.css

find

.poster
{
float: right;
width: 15em;
}
.postarea, .moderatorbar
{
margin: 0 16em 0 0;
}

replace with

.poster
{
float: right;
min-height:15em;
clear:left;
padding-bottom:10px;
margin: 15px 5px 5px 5px;
}
.postarea, .moderatorbar
{
margin: 0 1em 0 0;
}

done  :)

natasa (NT)

Quote from: chinaren on December 01, 2011, 08:36:23 AM
... There may be a calling for this if you could specify what boards it would function on.

Thanks for the effort anyway.

I agree with chinaren. It would be really great mod, then  :).

impreza

An ingenious modification, very good and useful. Thanks for construction
Portal ToTemat.pl - treści w postaci artykułów i filmów tematycznych.

anandreddy

iam using a modified template..How to apply this mod ?..Please help me..

BaghdadGhost

Quote from: hamarajntu on March 01, 2012, 08:20:44 AM
iam using a modified template..How to apply this mod ?..Please help me..

installation of this mod does not change any template. all changes will be made to index.css of your theme.

did you try to install it through package manager? if so, are there any errors or messages?

GlitchPC

Ricky,

This is a nice effect...however, it does not like the "list" bbcode tag.  Try it, yourself...and you will see what I mean.  Especially, if there is a long list.  The bullets/numbers appear too close to the image you supplied and totally ruins the effect of this mod.

Something you may want to look into.

I'm going to try something different, though.  There's a mod that places all the user info for posts on the right of the topic...instead of the default left.  I will see if that mod can be used with yours.  Then, I'll just take the supplied image...edit it and flip it, horizontally, to see if this fixes the bullet list issue.

Ricky.

hmm.. that is expected behavior as it is text is trying to occupy space on left when it is allowed, regarding bullets overlapping image, we can increase padding or margin to fixti

GlitchPC

Ricky...

If I move the user post info to the right...it fixes the bulleted info.  However, take a look at the image you supplied with this mod at the following link to a topic on my site:  http://glitchpc.net/index.php/topic,215.0.html

I don't know much about CSS but, is there a way to shift the image to the left a bit to make it look right?

I believe this is the code that needs editing..
.poster
{
float: left;
overflow:hidden;
clear:right;
background:url(../images/user-post.png) no-repeat bottom right;

}

Any and all help is greatly appreciated...

Edit...

Never mind...fixed it.  I just changed the code above from "right" to "left".
.poster
{
float: left;
overflow:hidden;
clear:right;
background:url(../images/user-post.png) no-repeat bottom left;

}

Ricky.

That looks fine however, Its not clear what you want to change.. ?

GlitchPC

Take a look at that same link I posted, before.  Nice, huh?

Thanks for a great mod!

GlitchPC

Aw man!  Just found out this mod either interferes with SimplePortal's Articles...which I am currently using...and/or the Inline Attachment mod I'm using.

I can't have that...so...although a great modification...I'll have to uninstall.  Thanks, anyway...and Good Luck!

Ricky.

Well, that won't be big issue to fix it but no problem, I am glad you liked this small tweak.

distante

This mod looks great, but
Quote from: GlitchPC on March 02, 2012, 12:09:18 PM
Aw man!  Just found out this mod either interferes with (...) the Inline Attachment mod I'm using.

:(

Advertisement: