You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.

Started by WACKI56, September 07, 2011, 07:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WACKI56

Hello All,

Since I upgraded to 2.0 I am "You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file."

Why is this? is this an SMF server issue?

Thanks for all you do,
Bill

rtil

i'd like to say that i have this issue as well. any sort of SMF tie-in feature (like popular download packages, etc) does not work.

Bigguy

There may be a few issues but I can assure you they are being worked on. :)

Illori

as far as i know there are no known issues with the server feeding that file and the team therefore is not working on fixing any issues related to it.

Joker™

Check with your host that that there are no firewall restrictions and fsockopen is enabled.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Bigguy

Quote from: Illori on September 08, 2011, 12:12:43 PM
as far as i know there are no known issues with the server feeding that file and the team therefore is not working on fixing any issues related to it.

I had seen a post about a server going down so I thought that was what the problem was. if it wasn't then I am sorry for misleading you WACKI56. Has your problem been resolved or does it still not show the message. Have you done what Joker suggested. ???

WACKI56

Quote from: Bigguy on September 08, 2011, 07:22:52 PM
Quote from: Illori on September 08, 2011, 12:12:43 PM

I had seen a post about a server going down so I thought that was what the problem was. if it wasn't then I am sorry for misleading you WACKI56. Has your problem been resolved or does it still not show the message. Have you done what Joker suggested. ???

Hey Big Guy,

Yes, I contacted my Host tech dept., and put in a ticket to have the database looked at and I gave them the info Joker suggested I really don't want to mess around in there!! I like to build web sites...not destroy them!!

Thanks Pal,

Bill

Bigguy

Joker™

Quote from: WACKI56 on September 08, 2011, 08:37:45 PM
Yes, I contacted my Host tech dept., and put in a ticket to have the database looked at and I gave them the info Joker suggested I really don't want to mess around in there!! I like to build web sites...not destroy them!!
The functions required to run a website should be enabled to build a website :P.

fsockopen() is a network function of php which simply initiates a socket connection to the resource specified by hostname.

If you are not getting my my point try this code

<?php
if(function_exists('fsockopen'))
{
   echo 
'Function Exists';
}
else
{
echo 
'Ask someone to enable it';
}
?>
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

WACKI56

Quote from: Bigguy on September 08, 2011, 08:48:22 PM
So this is solved now then. ???
............Not quite, Still waiting on tech support. It's odd, because I have another Forum on the same server and this function works just fine, and always did.

........and Joker......I will pass your info on to support.....Thanks.

Bill

WACKI56

This is the reply I received from Tech. support:

I copied the code they gave you and pasted it into a file here: 
~/public_html/fsockopentest.php .  I then browsed to that file online:

http://www.wcgowacki.com/fsockopentest.php

It shows "Function exists" on the page.  So, fsockopen should be working
properly.  Do you know the URL which it's trying to connect to?  If there's a
non-standard port which it's trying to connect to in order to grab the feed,
that might be the issue.

If we can get the URL, we can do a curl test to give us further insight into the
problem.

Thank you,

Brandon
Level II Site/Script Compatibility
Hostmonster.com

Joker™

Try to run this task
ACP -> Scheduled Tasks -> Fetch Simple Machines Files

Some basic queries
- Does the news appear in moderation center?
- Any errors in error log?
- When you go to ACP are you able to see "Support Information", saying something like this

QuoteVersion Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

WACKI56

Quote from: Joker™ on September 09, 2011, 05:51:38 PM
Try to run this task
ACP -> Scheduled Tasks -> Fetch Simple Machines Files

Some basic queries
- Does the news appear in moderation center?
- Any errors in error log?
- When you go to ACP are you able to see "Support Information", saying something like this

QuoteVersion Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0

Hello,

Followed your instructions and:

.....No News appears in Mod area
.....No errors in Log
.....In support info center it shows Forum Version: 2.0 and for current version it shows ??   (2 question marks)

MC73

Just a quick question here ..... Are you using a custom theme and have you tried to see if it is doing the same thing in the default SMF Theme ? I have had some themes that it would not work in ... just a suggestion.
Over 1100 Online Flash Games 

Joker™

Also what mods do you have installed?

The fetched info is saved to the DB table "_admin_info_files", so there can be some conflicting mod.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

WACKI56

Hello,

Yes, I have a few Mods installed, and I am using the "Clear Sky" theme. I never thought of checking if the problem exists in other theme's including default. I will do that ASAP.

Thanks,
Bill

::UPDATE:: yes, same issue in all installed theme's

Joker™

Please answer these question too

Quote from: Joker™ on September 10, 2011, 06:09:07 AM

The fetched info is saved to the DB table "_admin_info_files", so there can be some conflicting mod.
Also can you verify that there is data in the "_admin_info_files" table?
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Tothamplains

Hello,

I have all the symptoms listed previously and run the various tests.  I'm now down to what is in the _admin_info_files table.  Here is a sample from a backup file:

INSERT INTO `smf_admin_info_files`
   (`id_file`, `filename`, `path`, `parameters`, `data`, `filetype`)
VALUES (1, 'current-version.js', '/smf/', 'version=%3$s', '<HTML><BODY>The URL you requested has been blocked. URL = www.simplemachines.org/smf/current-version.js?version=SMF+2.0.1</BODY></HTML>
', 'text/javascript'),
   (2, 'detailed-version.js', '/smf/', 'language=%1$s&version=%3$s', '<HTML><BODY>The URL you requested has been blocked. URL = www.simplemachines.org/smf/detailed-version.js?language=english&amp;version=SMF+2.0.1</BODY></HTML>
', 'text/javascript'),

Presumably the message about the URL being blocked comes from my service provider?  Does everything else look okay?

Thanks for any help.

Illori

please open a separate thread for your issue, this thread belongs to someone else

Joker™

Quote from: Tothamplains on October 10, 2011, 09:50:44 AM
INSERT INTO `smf_admin_info_files`
   (`id_file`, `filename`, `path`, `parameters`, `data`, `filetype`)
VALUES (1, 'current-version.js', '/smf/', 'version=%3$s', '<HTML><BODY>The URL you requested has been blocked. URL = www.simplemachines.org/smf/current-version.js?version=SMF+2.0.1</BODY></HTML>
', 'text/javascript'),
   (2, 'detailed-version.js', '/smf/', 'language=%1$s&version=%3$s', '<HTML><BODY>The URL you requested has been blocked. URL = www.simplemachines.org/smf/detailed-version.js?language=english&amp;version=SMF+2.0.1</BODY></HTML>
', 'text/javascript'),

QuoteThe URL you requested has been blocked. URL = www.simplemachines.org/smf/current-version.js?version=SMF+2.0.1
I think that lines speaks for itself ;).
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Tothamplains

Joker™

Quote from: Tothamplains on October 10, 2011, 11:08:47 AM
Quote from: Joker™ on October 10, 2011, 09:57:48 AM

QuoteThe URL you requested has been blocked. URL = www.simplemachines.org/smf/current-version.js?version=SMF+2.0.1
I think that lines speaks for itself ;).

I agree.  It just seemed too obvious.

Quote from: Joker™ on September 08, 2011, 01:33:25 PM
Check with your host that that there are no firewall restrictions and fsockopen is enabled.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Tothamplains

Quote from: Joker™ on October 10, 2011, 11:13:21 AM
Quote from: Joker™ on September 08, 2011, 01:33:25 PM

Thanks for your help. fsockopen is enabled so I guess it's my service provider's firewall. I'll contact them.

Muaddib

Quote from: Joker™ on September 12, 2011, 05:14:03 AM
Please answer these question too
Also can you verify that there is data in the "_admin_info_files" table?

The problem is (in my case) in _admin_info_files.
In the field path is stored in every row the value '/foro/' which is the path of the local installation of my forum (mydomain.com/foro/) and then, the task created by smf forum is looking for current-version.js file in the URL  simplemachines.org/foro/latest-packages.js?language=spanish_es&version=SMF+2.0.2, that don't exists. The correct path is  simplemachines.org/smf/latest-packages.js?language=spanish_es&version=SMF+2.0.2
The solution is just change this values (i.e. using phpmyadmin) from *whatever you have* to /smf/
At least this worked for me.
Luck!

Joker™

Quote from: Muaddib on December 30, 2011, 03:05:26 PM
In the field path is stored in every row the value '/foro/' which is the path of the local installation of my forum (mydomain.com/foro/) and then, the task created by smf forum is looking for current-version.js file in the URL  simplemachines.org/foro/latest-packages.js?language=spanish_es&version=SMF+2.0.2, that don't exists. The correct path is  simplemachines.org/smf/latest-packages.js?language=spanish_es&version=SMF+2.0.2
The solution is just change this values (i.e. using phpmyadmin) from *whatever you have* to /smf/
Luck!

Thanks a lot for sharing your fix.

* Joker™  notes it down in his secret diary

Tothamplains, any progress on your end?
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

berkens

Quote from: Joker™ on December 31, 2011, 08:05:50 AM
Quote from: Muaddib on December 30, 2011, 03:05:26 PM
Luck!

Where can I find the "_admin_info_files" ?

Don't know what is ment.

Greetings Ben...

Joker™

Quote from: berkens on January 07, 2012, 11:26:53 AM
Where can I find the "_admin_info_files" ?

Don't know what is ment.

Greetings Ben...

With that please open a separate topic for yourself as it becomes a bit difficult for us too manage so many people in a single topic.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Dblog

okay i found a solution.
in the database, smf_admin_info_files table was empty.
my existing smf installation was in 'forums' directory.
so i created another installation of smf in another directory (smf) through autoinstaller in cpanel, exported the smf_admin_info_files table from new database, changed the forum url from /smf/ to /forums/ in the dump and exported it to  old database.

now smf is able to pull live feed

Advertisement: