News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

PJIRC Integrated Chat Mod

Started by dtm.exe, August 10, 2005, 06:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtm.exe

Quote from: Anihc on August 11, 2005, 09:42:55 PM
GOT IT WORKING! I also had to add this param :
<param name="port" value="6668"> (seems stratics needs 6668 not 6667 but I could not find where the base port info was located so I just added that param after the one for the host.

But the forum user names are not being passed onto the applet yet  ;) so I am looking forward to your mod1.1 revision.  :)

Thanks a bunch,
Anihc

Could you not just use url.irc.net:6668?  Glad to hear it's working OK :).

-Dan The Man

dtm.exe

Thanks, TheMajor, for the Dutch translation and also [darksteel] for the Spanish translation :).

-Dan The Man

Anihc

Could you not just use url.irc.net:6668?  Glad to hear it's working OK :).

-Dan The Man

oh, I am not sure if I could have. I did not know that was another possible way to do that so maybe when I update my main site I will try that way and see. I researched the help section on the aplet just enough to find the param bit :)

Thanks again,
Anihc

Nitro

ok, the installation went SMOOTH. i just have a couple of concerns.
this MOD is unwrapped, it opens in other window. how can i get this into the same window or to show part of the forum? well, that's not important for now, i guess.

second. i am using the mambo bridge, so when people click on the 'home' button it takes them right directly into the forum trying to skip the bambo bridge, how do i fix that?

thank you man! it works great!!

edit: actualy when i click all the buttons take me directly to the forum, i put a restriction there.

also, i found this infor for this:
3) Find "irc.url.net", without the quotes, and replace that IRC URL with the IRC network of your choice.
4) Find "#channelhere", without the quotes, and replace that channel name with the channel name of your choice.

i found this:
SERVER NAME LOCATION PORTS
ShadowRealm.VillageIRC.net Michigan, USA 6660-6670, 7000, 8000, 8080, 9999 (SSL)
but is 6660-6670 the channel? or do i have to put all these weird numbers in the #channlehere

thank you!!!!
MPF Rocks!!!

dtm.exe

Quote from: NitroRich on August 11, 2005, 11:25:52 PM
ok, the installation went SMOOTH. i just have a couple of concerns.
this MOD is unwrapped, it opens in other window. how can i get this into the same window or to show part of the forum? well, that's not important for now, i guess.

I guess I don't really understand what you're saying :-\.

Quotesecond. i am using the mambo bridge, so when people click on the 'home' button it takes them right directly into the forum trying to skip the bambo bridge, how do i fix that?

I'm not exactly sure.  I have no experience with Mambo.

Quotealso, i found this infor for this:
3) Find "irc.url.net", without the quotes, and replace that IRC URL with the IRC network of your choice.
4) Find "#channelhere", without the quotes, and replace that channel name with the channel name of your choice.

i found this:
SERVER NAME LOCATION PORTS
ShadowRealm.VillageIRC.net Michigan, USA 6660-6670, 7000, 8000, 8080, 9999 (SSL)
but is 6660-6670 the channel? or do i have to put all these weird numbers in the #channlehere

thank you!!!!

Those numbers listed are ports.  Disregard them for this mod.  You have to REGISTER a channel.

-Dan The Man

Nitro

oh, ok, so i have to register the channel, beat me but where do i register the channel?
please bear with me, thank you.

i noticed the buttons on top of the chat room point to where is located the forum like http://myforum.com/bb/index.php so if tha happens i put a restriction if someone wants to browse the forum directly they have to go through http://myforum.com and not http://myforum.com/bb
so how can i put the correct link to these buttons on top of the chat?

thanks again man!
MPF Rocks!!!

dtm.exe

Quote from: NitroRich on August 12, 2005, 12:16:43 AM
oh, ok, so i have to register the channel, beat me but where do i register the channel?
please bear with me, thank you.

i noticed the buttons on top of the chat room point to where is located the forum like http://myforum.com/bb/index.php so if tha happens i put a restriction if someone wants to browse the forum directly they have to go through http://myforum.com and not http://myforum.com/bb
so how can i put the correct link to these buttons on top of the chat?

thanks again man!

In my mod, chat.php uses SSI integration.  There's really no way to change that if Mambo is not loaded with the page.  As I've said, I have no experience with Mambo, sorry.

As for registering a channel, go here, enter the nickname you want, when you get to a window, let it connect, then type "/nickserv register <password> <VALID email>" without the quotes.  After you've activated your account, type "/ns identify <password>" without the quotes.  For help with registering a channel, type "/nickserv help register" without the quotes.

-Dan The Man

Nitro

QuoteAs for registering a channel, go here, enter the nickname you want, when you get to a window, let it connect, then type "/nickserv register <password> <VALID email>" without the quotes.  After you've activated your account, type "/ns identify <password>" without the quotes.  For help with registering a channel, type "/nickserv help register" without the quotes.

done! so in other words, the "..Find "#channelhere" is actually the nickname i have registered?
you must be pulling hitting your computer desk, but this stuff is new to me. but i appreciate the time you take in answering these silly questions.

thanks man!
MPF Rocks!!!

dtm.exe

Quote from: NitroRich on August 12, 2005, 12:53:06 AM
done! so in other words, the "..Find "#channelhere" is actually the nickname i have registered?
you must be pulling hitting your computer desk, but this stuff is new to me. but i appreciate the time you take in answering these silly questions.

thanks man!

Not at all, it's my plessure :).  No, "#channelhere" is the name of the channel you registered.

-Dan The Man

Anihc

er Dan posted a split second before me  ;)
No you just go to the irc server of your choice (he provided you a link to one)

IE: I use stratics.frws.com you would go to www.stratics.com then find their irc link that takes you to an irc java window in which you can then input the commands for creating a nickname along with your own channel name. type /help for various help features, then you use that info inside the chat.php file

IE: mine is:
<!-- CHANGE: Why not connect to a network? -->
<param name="host" value="stratics.frws.com">

<!-- CHANGE: How about a channel? Add more commands as command2, command3, and so on.-->
<param name="command1" value="/join #ThinkingBlock">

you would just place your channel and host for that channel respectively.

Good luck,
Anihc

Nitro

oh i see!!! i got it now, it is a litle bit confusing at first. i think i have to write this thing down for my new users.

thank you for the input!
MPF Rocks!!!

dtm.exe

Quote from: NitroRich on August 12, 2005, 01:06:12 AM
oh i see!!! i got it now, it is a litle bit confusing at first. i think i have to write this thing down for my new users.

thank you for the input!

Well, IRC is nothing new.  It's been around since the early days of the internet.  To this day, it's still widely used, and yet some people don't know the power it holds...perfectly understandable :).

-Dan The Man

Anihc

oh and your users will not be required to register a nick there. They can just type a nick in the applet (lower left corner) and hit enter.

BUT if there is someone with that same name registered there would then be a problem since the registered names are password protected. In that case they would just pick another name. Or they can register a name and use it all the time.

I am not sure what would happen to the names once the mod is changed to use forum names if those happen to be registered allready there might be an issue. BUT I think once Dan makes that change he can might be able to work around that.

I played a game where we used a plug-in that I know my own name was registered but the plug-in used the same name within the game mechanism at the same time if I recall correctly. It was Asheron's Call and we used the plug-in called megingarder.

I am not sure how they got around that but I am almost positve they did. (not sure how that would work here I think it passed a different name onto the irc server but used the players name inside the game dynamics which may not work in this case.

But If that is the case and he cannot work around it he may need to add the ability to change the nick for the user. Maybe a user profile nick setting that the plug-in reads instead of using the user name directly, that way if it is allready used it can be changed.

ChaosForce

Got a small problem with mine, I keep getting a 500 inter server problem. >_> I go to check the error log and it tells me this:

[Fri Aug 12 03:24:37 2005] [error] [client 69.210.132.215] File does not exist: /home/tekhack2/public_html/500.shtml
[Fri Aug 12 03:24:37 2005] [error] [client 69.210.132.215] Premature end of script headers: /home/tekhack2/public_html/forum/chat.php

robone

Have just installed this Chat Mod and it works great, so far.

Previously you said that you had removed the background image. However, mine still has it.

I changed background.gif in the directory to background1.gif, but it still shows. Which gif is it that I have to delete to get rid of it.
Thanks

edit: Okay. I had to close firefox and then start again. Its now working well. Looking forward to seeing what the members say. Must admit this is a great improvement to what I was using before on my forum :)

Thanks for the great effort.

Edit2: It is so nice installing a mod that works 1st time. You have done an excellent mod and your instructions were very good. Thanks again

robone

If we look up the member name from the db and insert it in the script below, instead of "guest???". Now I am not sure if the lookup is 'member' or not. Please advise, as this should not be too hard to do

<!-- Nicknames and alternate nicknames of guests.  ? = wildcard. -->
<param name="nick" value="Guest???">
<param name="alternatenick" value="Guest_???">
<param name="fullname" value="SMF PJIRC Mod">

Thanks

thequoth

Got this puppy installed and running great using the default theme! Nice mod!

How can I use this mod with a customized theme???

if I access chat.php while using my custom theme I get this crap spit out in between  the buttons [admin] and [members]:

Notice: Undefined index: MemberList in /home/thequoth/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php(1515) : eval()'d code on line 514
looks like this

dtm.exe

Quote from: thequoth on August 12, 2005, 11:45:36 AM
How can I use this mod with a customized theme???

if I access chat.php while using my custom theme I get this crap spit out in between  the buttons [admin] and [members]:

Notice: Undefined index: MemberList in /home/thequoth/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php(1515) : eval()'d code on line 514
looks like this

That's honestly something with your theme.  It works fine for me.

-Dan The Man

thequoth

so no ideas huh? I'll keep working on it.

dtm.exe

Quote from: thequoth on August 12, 2005, 12:03:21 PM
so no ideas huh? I'll keep working on it.

Yep, it's definitely something with your theme because my mod doesn't even touch Load.php.

-Dan The Man

Advertisement: