News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

?action=search2 displays a completely blank page

Started by Gentlecolts, September 16, 2011, 10:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gentlecolts

Only a blank page is displayed after clicking the search button when I try to search the forum. I thought it might be because I've modded some files, but I tried it with the default theme and it still doesn't work.

The forum is located at forum.gentlecolts.org/index.php [nofollow] which is hosted on zymic.com [nofollow]. Please tell me if you need more information and how I can retrieve it.

Joker™

SMF version?
What are the errors in the error log of admin panel?
What mods do you have installed?

Also your site link didn't work on my side. "Could not locate remote server".
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Gentlecolts

Oops, I made a typo. It should be gentlecolts, not genltecolts, but it's not officially released so you also have to type in /index.php to get to the forum index. Edited the post now.

The SMF version is 2.0.
No error is logged.
I've not really "installed" anything, but I've manually edited some files, mostly CSS. The only PHP file I think I've changed is Subs, where I've inserted
array(
                'tag' => 'spoiler',
                'before' => '<fieldset><legend><button type="button" onclick="var isHidden = this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName(\'span\')[0]; if (isHidden.style.display) {isHidden.style.display = \'\'; this.innerHTML = \'Hide Spoiler\';} else {isHidden.style.display = \'none\'; this.innerHTML = \'Show Spoiler\';}">Show Spoiler</button></legend><span style="display: none">',
                'after' => '</span></fieldset>',
                'block_level' => true,
            ),

);

right before the end of tag defining, but I don't think that could have anything to do with this.

Joker™

Does this happen on default theme as well?

Have you made a check in your server log as it might prove helpful in this case.

Generally its a case of parse error in the file.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

Gentlecolts

Yes, as I said in my original post, I've tried using the default theme, but get the same result. Both with curve and core.
If by server log you mean database.smf_log_errors, then yeah, isn't that the exact same thing that's displayed in the admin panel?

Joker™

Quote from: Gentlecolts on September 16, 2011, 11:17:10 AM
Yes, as I said in my original post, I've tried using the default theme, but get the same result. Both with curve and core.
Make backup of your present files. Grab the large pack of SMF 2.0 and replace these following files

- Sources/Search.php
- Themes\Default\Search.template.php

If by server log you mean database.smf_log_errors, then yeah, isn't that the exact same thing that's displayed in the admin panel?
By server error log I meant the error log generated by server like apache etc. You must be able to see it in you cpanel/hosting panel.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Gentlecolts

I had a local copy of the original files from some weeks ago, and I uploaded these... they were identical to the ones already on the server, so it didn't work. Could my original download have derped? Is it correct if they are 87860 and 21809 bytes?

And I can't seem to find where any server log would be, if there is any. I tried to search their support forum but had no luck.

Joker™

Quote from: Gentlecolts on September 16, 2011, 12:32:00 PM
I had a local copy of the original files from some weeks ago, and I uploaded these... they were identical to the ones already on the server, so it didn't work. Could my original download have derped? Is it correct if they are 87860 and 21809 bytes?

Download the large upgrade pack from here and try to upload only these 2 files from it.

Quote from: Joker™ on September 16, 2011, 12:03:21 PM
- Sources/Search.php
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Gentlecolts

Search.php was identical, but Search.template.php was a bit different. Still doesn't work, though.

Joker™

After you have uploaded the new files try clearing you cache folder. Leave .htaccess abd index.php intact in the folder.

Try searching on your forum with some other browser having no cache/cookies/biscuits/cakes of your forum :D (feeling hungry).

If the problem still persist attach both of those files here. But TBH it can be some other files also giving out the error.

P.S. -  Ask you host about the server error log.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Gentlecolts

There is only .htaccess and index.php in the cache folder.

Tried using another browser and clearing it's entire cache first. Still nothing.

What exact files is it that you want me to post?

Joker™

Quote from: Gentlecolts on September 16, 2011, 01:05:15 PM
What exact files is it that you want me to post?

Lol forgot to post the file names :P

- Sources/Search.php
- Sources/Subs.php

P.S. -  Ask you host about the server error log.

From my skills there must be some parse error in some file and your log must be getting those errors.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Gentlecolts

I'm trying to get an answer from my host, but here's the files at least.

Joker™

Files seems to be fine.

Without looking server error logs it bit hard not to comment. In the mean time try to remove your edit from Subs.php and see if anything happens.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Gentlecolts

I have contacted the zymic staff, and they say that there is no server log I can access.

Does anyone else use zymic hosting? Did they have this problem as well?

Joker™

Quote from: Gentlecolts on September 20, 2011, 11:50:39 AM
I have contacted the zymic staff, and they say that there is no server log I can access.

Does anyone else use zymic hosting? Did they have this problem as well?
Ask them about the server error log related to your forum.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Gentlecolts

I managed to reach them again, one of them looked into the problem for a while and couldn't find anything... and refused to look in the error log (quote: " I can assure you it won't be happening."). They say that SMF should function perfectly.

Maybe I should re-install the forum? Is there a way to do that while keeping all the data in the database intact?

Illori

who is your host? they should know enough that errors happen and access to logs is very useful in debugging the code. with a reply like that i would start looking for a new host that would give you access to your server logs.

Gentlecolts

I have mentioned several times (original post included) that my host is zymic.com [nofollow]. I simply use it because it looked good and was free. Any specific host you would suggest instead?

Illori

no wonder you are having issues with getting your logs, you get what you pay for. any free host is not going to care about their users. check the hosting boards here for some recommendations and open your wallet.

Advertisement: