News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Thread Additions

Started by Illori, September 19, 2011, 06:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

The development team is considering ways to update threads in future versions. Some have suggested adding

• tags/clouds
  • summary/abstract fields
  • thread ratings
  • thread labels
  • adding a jump to last post button
  • replacing internal links with the title of the thread being linked to
What do you all think?

Robert.

Tag/clouds:
Dunno, don't use them myself

Summary/abstract fields:
Not sure what you mean by that, sorry :P

Thread ratings:
Great feature, I'll definitely use them

Thread labels:
Idk

Adding a jump to the last post button:
Nice idea :)

Replacing internal links with the title of the thread being linked to:
Well, when you have lots of links, that would decrease performance, but it might be worth it :)

Kindred

personally, I think that tag clouds and summary fields are pointless for the general forum use. I can see summary fields being useful for a tiny minority subset of professional forums, but they'll never be used in 99% of the installations... and tag clouds are completely, buck-useless IMO.

Ratings...   well, I'd never use them myself, and I fail to see the actual use of them, but I see that a fair number of people have asked for something along those lines. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

青山 素子

Quote from: Illori on September 19, 2011, 06:14:28 AM
    The development team is considering ways to update threads in future versions.

Threads? What are those? I know SMF has boards, topics, and posts...

• tags/clouds

Might be interesting. I don't use these, but they could be useful for grouping topics. It would be nice to either restrict the groups that can manipulate these, or only allow certain defined tags to be used. Maybe both.

I don't see this as something that would be used for general discussion, or even specialized discussion. Imagine such fields on the support topics here; it wouldn't work well.

For certain types of forums, this would be useful.

• thread ratings

Seems also fairly specialized. It also seems like it might be prone to abuse, so any implementation will need to be careful to prevent that.

• thread labels

How is this different from tags?

Might be useful, but I worry it would encourage people to post before reading.

[/list]

This would actually be handy, but do be careful about the CPU usage of doing this. Perhaps rewriting the user's post to have the content would be useful as then the lookup would only happen once.
    Motoko-chan
    Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Illori

Quote from: 青山 素子 on September 19, 2011, 11:38:56 AM
    The development team is considering ways to update threads in future versions.

Threads? What are those? I know SMF has boards, topics, and posts...

one of our other team members created the list of features from other threads and that was how they had this section titled.

Matthew K.

I am of the opinion that a software should have a very powerful base that's easily expansible and less bloat and base features.

There's nothing wrong with having a bunch of features be officially supported mods.

Masterd

The development team is considering ways to update threads in future versions. Some have suggested adding

• tags/clouds
    • thread ratings
    • thread labels
    What do you all think?

Sure, it will be nice to see all those features, but I don't think that clouds will be very useful.

HecKel

• tags/clouds
    • thread ratings
    • thread labels

I would add another thing to this, Q&A threads. I think that would be quite simple to implement, a post rating option and order the replies by rating instead of by date and that would make the job.

Regarding the summary, I wouldn't use that feature at all.
    Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
    SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

vbgamer45

I would like to see thread ratings and or like dislike post options
    Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
    EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
    SMF Gallery Pro
    SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Ricky.

If SMF includes all above , it would be really nice..

However, as already mentioned  by fellow members, only thread ratings, labels etc. will be used extensively , other should be option like we have core features kind of facility !

Account Abandoned

• tags/clouds
    • thread ratings
    • thread labels
    What do you all think?

I don't think tags are on a forum software ever really have been successful. Every forum that I am on that has tags never really uses them. Instead of the summary field, why not make it when you hover over it, it gives you some of the post. I mean adding a summary is just one more thing a poster has to do (im sure it will be optional). I think my suggestion is more....simple ;) Thread rating would be cool :) Thread labels if that is like adding something like [Support] before a topic on threadview, then hell to the yeah, that would be an AWESOME feature!!! A jump to last post that YOU posted in would be great. Replacing the link with the link name would be okay if it was optional. I wouldn't use it myself because I think it has security issues... but having it optional would be good :) There is my 2 cents, love it or hate it haha!

Oldiesmann

• tags/clouds
    • thread ratings
    • thread labels
    What do you all think?

Tags - never have seen a point for this, nor do I see it used very often
    Summary - Something like a short "topic description" field might be nice, but a full-fledged summary is overkill in my opinion
    Ratings - although popular, I don't see a real point to the system
    Labels - how would this be different than tags?
    Jump to last post - might be nice
    Auto-titling internal links - Just make the wiki code thing standard and this won't be too much of an issue :P
    Michael Eshom
    Christian Metal Fans

Antes

Mostly people using tags for long tail traffic (like G-Tagged does in SMF but more manually)

+1 to ratings

Antechinus

• tags/clouds
    • thread ratings
    • thread labels
    What do you all think?

• Meh
    • What I find amusing is that SMF already includes code for showing OP previews on message index, but it's broken and nobody seems to miss it.
    • Meh
    • Meh
    • It already exists on message index and board index. There is already a last page link in Display.template. Not really sure another link is necessary or desirable. I've never felt the need for it when reading threads, and the template is pretty cluttered already.
    • You effin' betcha. Love the idea.

live627

Antechinus

You have to edit index.template.php to get it to work. There's no actual setting for it anywhere else (well, I've never been able to find one and I have looked for it). I'd call that broken.

Mind you, if you do edit index.template the previews work just fine.

live627

That's what I thought. Not broken, just incomplete I'd say.

Antechinus

Well that's an arguable point. I think it should be fixed in the next version though.

Norv

• tags/clouds
    • thread labels

I'm not sure how people define tags or labels. In my mind, they're the same concept.
    It may be useful if you folks, those who would find them useful or useless, point out to examples or description of what exactly do you have in mind under the term(s).

A bit of further thoughts here:
    http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=458294.msg3202491#msg3202491
    To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: