News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

cannot see the picture, that is required to type in the verification... ?

Started by ApplianceJunk, September 20, 2011, 08:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApplianceJunk

In all the 4+ years I have been running my forum I think this is a first.
I got this in a email today.

Quotetrying to register.. but cannot see the picture, that is required to type in the verification section
of the registration form.

is it possible to send me the letters so that i may type them in..

Thank you

How could this be?
What should I do?

Thanks,

Edited to add:

I believe it was working yesterday as we had around the normal number of people register yesterday as any other day.

List of our mods...

1.   SMF 2.0.1 Update   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
2.   Online Users Area   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
3.   Show your social networks   3.0   [ Uninstall ]
4.   Contact Page   3.0   [ Uninstall ]
5.   View Only Boards   1.2b   [ Uninstall ]
6.   PM to New Members   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
7.   Treasury   2.10   [ Uninstall ]
8.   Search Focus Dropdown   1.6.1   [ Uninstall ]
9.   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 RC4/RC5/Final Plugin   3.0.0   [ Uninstall ]
10.   Buy me a beer   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
11.   Internal Links Use Same Window   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
12.   Enable or Disable "« Last Edit: by »" for Administrators   1.3a   [ Uninstall ]
13.   Simple Audio Video Embedder   2.0.1   [ Uninstall ]
14.   Country Flags   1.1.2   [ Uninstall ]
15.   SMF Gallery Lite   3.1.1   [ Uninstall ]
16.   Downloads System Pro   2.0.4a   [ Uninstall ]
17.   Ad Seller Pro   1.0.9

The other day I updated to smf 2.0.1 and yesterday the only thing I did was install the 'Guest Registration Notification' mod.
I uninstalled the 'Guest Registration Notification' Mod this morning, but have not removed the files, but that did not seem to change anything.

QuoteUninstalled package: "Guest Registration Notification", version 1.4.2   Today at 07:41:24 AM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Installed new package: "Guest Registration Notification", version 1.4.2   September 19, 2011, 10:21:29 AM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Installed new package: "SMF 2.0.1 Update", version 1.0   September 18, 2011, 10:34:54 PM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184

I notice you can hear the registration letters yet, but I can't believe everyone was just listening to them to register yesterday.

Illori

any errors in your error log?

looking at the source of the registration page i find this link http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=verificationcode;vid=register;rand=db79e76cb6b97df5b7bb8f0813e1ef35

and it returns "the image "http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=verificationcode;vid=register;rand=db79e76cb6b97df5b7bb8f0813e1ef35" cannot be displayed because it contains errors."

[edit] also your theme does not validate any longer this could be part of the issue you are facing here

ApplianceJunk

Only two user errors this morning.

QuoteYour email address needs to be validated before you can login.
Password incorrect

Illori

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Illori on September 20, 2011, 09:09:21 AM
try to validate the changes you have made to your theme and see if that helps

http://validator.w3.org/

Ok, I noticed most of the error things at validator.w3 seem to have to do with one of my affiliate search box ads.
So I removed it and validated again. Went from 26 errors to 5 errors.

I have been using that affiliate search box ad from day one, so I did not think that was causing the problem and it did not seem to be.

Could you look at the validator again now and see if you think any of the five that are left could be causing my problem?

Thanks

Illori

your registration page is giving 22 errors still so you got some work to do. try using the web developer addon for firefox to submit the exact page to the validator

ApplianceJunk

Quotetry using the web developer addon for firefox

Could you post a link to it please?

Just tried adding 'Validator 0.0.5' to firefox, but can't seem to see it in my list of web developer tools like I can firebug and fireFTP even after restarting firefox and the home page listed for 'Validator 0.0.5 is http://spaghetticoder.org/validator/ and that's a blank page for me.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Illori on September 20, 2011, 09:43:31 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-developer/

Got it, cool :)

What do I validate now.

I go to my registration URL at...

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=register

and from the drop down menu of the web developer tool bar select Tools>Validate HTML and then it seems I'm shown the same 5 errors.

I see is a red X between to green check marks on the right of that web developer tool bar.

It shows me this when I click it...

QuoteError: Image corrupt or truncated: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=verificationcode;vid=register;rand=204b949347d5386f5879dc3582735f04
Source File: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=verificationcode;vid=register;rand=204b949347d5386f5879dc3582735f04
Line: 0

Is that the problem

I don't understand what could have change in the last day or two that would have changed anything on my registration page.

Joker™

Backup your file
themes\default\Registration.template.php

Now replace the file with a fresh file from large upgrade pack of SMF, as on my few minutes visit on that page I've seen a lot of broken template.

To understand what I'm trying to say see the registration page of any other SMF forum and compare it with the page of your forum.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Joker™ on September 20, 2011, 09:57:51 AM
Backup your file

Now replace the file with a fresh file from large upgrade pack of SMF, as on my few minutes visit on that page I've seen a lot of broken template.

To understand what I'm trying to say see the registration page of any other SMF forum and compare it with the page of your forum.

Ok, I will upload a new Registration.template.php after I back up my old file.

I'm looking at this registration page to compare, but still not sure what you are talking about

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=register

I could just be blind too.

Illori

ApplianceJunk

Ok, can only find Register.template.php and not Registration.template.php as stated above.

We talking about the same file?

Quotehe is talking about the source not just appearance.

Hmm... now what?

Joker™

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on September 20, 2011, 10:14:03 AM
Ok, can only find Register.template.php and not Registration.template.php as stated above.

We talking about the same file?
Yeah, must be a typo error from my side.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

ApplianceJunk

Ok, replace the
Quote from: Joker™ on September 20, 2011, 09:57:51 AM
Backup your file

Replace file, but still could not see the image yet so I uploaded the backup I did of the Register.template.php so I'm back to the way it original was again now, still can't see image.

Edited to add:

Going back in my admin logs to try and figure out when the registration image may have stopped showing up.

Sept 16 I know the registration image was working as I installed the 'Contact Page' mod and it was working correctly then.

Uninstalled package: "View Only Boards", version 1.2b   Today at 08:13:42 AM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Uninstalled package: "Guest Registration Notification", version 1.4.2   Today at 07:41:24 AM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Installed new package: "Guest Registration Notification", version 1.4.2   September 19, 2011, 10:21:29 AM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Installed new package: "SMF 2.0.1 Update", version 1.0   September 18, 2011, 10:34:54 PM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Uninstalled package: "SMF 2.0.1 Update", version 1.0   September 18, 2011, 10:33:54 PM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Installed new package: "SMF 2.0.1 Update", version 1.0   September 18, 2011, 09:45:11 PM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184

Installed new package: "Online Users Area", version 1.2   September 18, 2011, 07:34:16 AM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Uninstalled package: "Online Users Area", version 1.2   September 17, 2011, 09:56:55 PM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Installed new package: "Show your social networks", version 3.0   September 17, 2011, 11:12:11 AM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184   
Installed new package: "Contact Page", version 3.0   September 16, 2011, 11:24:32 PM   AJ   Admin/Tech   208.107.24.184

Joker™

Some of the things you can try

1. Try running file_check.php(attached) and see if there is any line space or even a space before/after php tags. If any file contain spaces, do remove it.

2. Try installing this mod, it might help - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1044.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

ApplianceJunk

Do I upload file_check.php to my forum directory and then just run /forums/file_check.php in my browser?

I installed the recaptcha mod and did some testing. That mod seems to work ok on the registration page.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=register

Joker™

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on September 20, 2011, 10:54:55 AM
Do I upload file_check.php to my forum directory and then just run /forums/file_check.php in my browser?
Yes.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Joker™ on September 20, 2011, 11:03:18 AM
Quote from: ApplianceJunk on September 20, 2011, 10:54:55 AM
Yes.

Ok, I will try that later today when I get some more time and report back.
As for now the recaptcha mod seems to be working as some new members have registered for account this morning again.

I'm just really banging my head on the wall as to what could have changed, over night it seems.

Is it at all possible that our host could have made any changes that would have affected this or a mod, maybe the 2.0.1 update?

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Joker™

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on September 20, 2011, 11:18:25 AM
Ok, I will try that later today when I get some more time and report back.
As for now the recaptcha mod seems to be working as some new members have registered for account this morning again.

I'm just really banging my head on the wall as to what could have changed, over night it seems.

Is it at all possible that our host could have made any changes that would have affected this or a mod, maybe the 2.0.1 update?

Thanks for all the replies and help.
Might be a GD library issue in php.ini, just a guess :P.

It's a good thing to ask your host if he has made any changes overnight :P.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Advertisement: