News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Broken my forum :(

Started by Crowtree, September 21, 2011, 08:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crowtree

Hello.

I am currently using SMF 2.0, I was trying to edit the banner on my theme ( inferno ) and I guess I have messed up.   Anyways. I was editing the template.idex under theme modifications.  Now when I look at my site it appears all in HTML code.

I'm guessing this has happened to someone here before, If anyone has any ideas of how to fix this them please help :)

If you need more info about my forum then please ask and sorry for not giving it :P

ApplianceJunk

What file did you edit, BoardIndex.template.php?

This is what I do (most of the time) when I edit a file.
Download a copy of it to a safe place on my hard drive.

I then make the changes I want and then "Save As" it to another location on my hard drive.
Then I upload the new edited version that I just saved.

This way I always have a unedited copy of the file to upload if I run into problems.

Sometimes I get wild and just open up the file in my editor and save it right back to the server, but even in them cases if I still have my editor open I can undo the changes and upload to the server again if there is problems.

I would guess at this point you don't have a saved copy of the unedited file to upload. Can you undo the changes in your editor?

Can you post a link to your forum?

kat

Might help if you attach the file, so we can have a butcher's at it.

Ricky.

Or simply replace with fresh copy of files of inferno theme and then start over (ofcourse if you have not installed mods made modification to this template).

Crowtree

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on September 21, 2011, 08:08:38 AM
Can you post a link to your forum?

yeah, i'm messed up and didnt save a copy. :S  its ww.ta-gaming.com [nofollow]

@ -  K@,    I'm not sure how to do that with the way my forum is atm. :S

kat

You can download that file, using your FTP client. Or, if you prefer to use your CPanel's File Manager, you can use that.

Crowtree

Ok I just re-installed SMF.  Anyways, I'm back up to my first problem. I can't get my logo to replace my themes logo. And there is no option like on normal forums so I have went into my themes index.template ( i'll try and be more careful this time :) )

Quotefunction template_body_above()
{
   global $context, $settings, $options, $scripturl, $txt, $modSettings;

echo '
   <div id="header">
      <div class="wrapper">
         <div id="logo">
            <a href="'.$scripturl.'" title=""></a>
         </div>
         <div class="user">';

Is this the section I edit?

ApplianceJunk

If you just want to replace the theme logo upload your new logo to the same folder the theme logo is in now and give your new theme logo the same name before you upload it.

Crowtree

Ok, replaced the "logo" file with the one I wanted in the Theme I had stored on my PC.   Deleted the old theme from my site. Uploaded my edited theme from my PC, applied it. The theme's default logo is gone, however my logo isn't there.  I have it as a GIF image, could that be the problem?

Filename   Last Modified   Size
images (..)      
active.png   Today at 02:01:57 PM   653 B
header.png   Today at 02:01:57 PM   212 B
logo.gif   Today at 02:01:58 PM   82.13 KB < New one.
main_body.jpg   Today at 02:01:57 PM   14.91 KB
main_body_wrap.png   Today at 02:01:57 PM   230 B
search.png   Today at 02:01:57 PM   816 B
toolbar.png   Today at 02:01:57 PM   223 B

Illori

it has to be the same file name and file extension

Crowtree

Hmmm, just changed it to a png and it's still not wanting to work for me. Is "logo.PNG" different to "logo.png" to to computer?

Illori

yes on some servers it can be.

Crowtree

Ok, that's still not working. SMF is hard lol.   Can i not just pay someone to sort my forum out for me lol.   

Is there no way that I can get the forum to use a different location for the logo?

Illori

you have not told us what theme you are using, you have not given us a link to your forum or any other information to help you other then us guessing what should work in most cases.

Crowtree

Quote from: Illori on September 21, 2011, 05:39:45 PM
you have not told us what theme you are using, you have not given us a link to your forum or any other information to help you other then us guessing what should work in most cases.

That info is in my 2nd post in this topic,

Erm....Forum: ww.ta-gaming.com [nofollow]

Theme is Inferno Design By DzinerStudio

Illori

looks like if you just rename the logo to http://ta-gaming.com/Themes/inferno_2a/images/custom/logo.png instead things should work as the theme is looking for logo.png not logo.PNG also i am not sure that your logo will fix in the space provided.

Crowtree

So - save my logo on my pc to http://ta-gaming.com/Themes/inferno_2a/images/custom/logo.png [nofollow] then re-install the theme on the site and that should do it?

Also... im guessing your correct about the logo not fitting  ;D

Illori

no you just need to use your ftp client or file manager to rename the image extension to .png

Advertisement: