News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Approving new members first posts?

Started by scarhextendedmags, September 26, 2011, 05:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarhextendedmags

Apologies if this has already been asked (I searched for it and couldn't find anything). But does anyone know of, or could make, a feature that makes it so that when a new user registers, their first post doesn't display until a moderator/admin approves it. This way we could easily catch and advertisers who try and spam as their first post. Then after one approval (or a set amount) the user can just post freely.

Illori

if you set permissions correctly this can be done without a mod.

scarhextendedmags

I tried for ages to set the right permissions, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Illori

which exact permissions and what groups are you adding them to?

scarhextendedmags

I wasn't sure how to do it but I just want it so that newly registered people's posts must be approved by a moderator and then as soon as one is approved, they have a post count of 1 which automatically adds them to the Newbie group. I want this to stop advertisers and spammers in their tracks

Illori

unless you have a group under 1 posts [0 posts] other then newbie you need to make sure that group is set for post approval for creating threads and posts, and make sure that the regular members group does not give post permissions otherwise, then the next post count based group would give normal posting permissions.

Oldiesmann

First, create the new group and edit Newbie:
Create a new group called "Super Newbie" and set its post requirements to 0.
Edit the existing Newbie group and change its minimum posts to 1.

Next, enable post moderation:
Admin -> Configuration -> Core Features
Click the "Switch" button next to "Post Moderation" (so it appears to be "on"), then click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.

Next, enable the option to assign permissions to post groups:
Admin -> Members -> Permissions -> Settings
Check the box next to "Enable permissions for post count based groups".

Finally, go to the "Post Moderation" section of the Permissions area and set things up appropriately:

"Regular Members" - select the right button ("Cannot create") in each section. This prevents the permissions for this group from overriding those for the post groups.
"Super Newbie" - select the middle button ("Can create but requires approval") in each section.
All other post groups - select the left button ("Can create") in each section
Other groups (Global Moderator, etc.) - set to your liking. It's unlikely that a new user will be made a Global Moderator before they've even made a post, but it could happen :P

This assumes you don't have any boards with their own sets of permissions. If you do, let me know and I'll explain how to set the permissions for those boards as well.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

scarhextendedmags

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 28, 2011, 03:42:10 PM

Next, enable post moderation:
Admin -> Configuration -> Core Features
Click the "Switch" button next to "Post Moderation" (so it appears to be "on"), then click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.

Next, enable the option to assign permissions to post groups:
Admin -> Members -> Permissions -> Settings
Check the box next to "Enable permissions for post count based groups".

Finally, go to the "Post Moderation" section of the Permissions area and set things up appropriately:

"Regular Members" - select the right button ("Cannot create") in each section. This prevents the permissions for this group from overriding those for the post groups.
"Super Newbie" - select the middle button ("Can create but requires approval") in each section.
All other post groups - select the left button ("Can create") in each section
Other groups (Global Moderator, etc.) - set to your liking. It's unlikely that a new user will be made a Global Moderator before they've even made a post, but it could happen :P

This assumes you don't have any boards with their own sets of permissions. If you do, let me know and I'll explain how to set the permissions for those boards as well.
Thanks very much ;D I was just missing that 'Enable permissions fr post count groups' button *facepalm*. I appear to have set all the correct permissions, for post moderation and for the individual groups; yet when I create a new testing account and post the topic just appears with no required approval?

scarhextendedmags

Also, what did you mean about a new member becoming a global moderator? How could that happen?

scarhextendedmags

Bumping this because it's quite a serious issue on my site :S
Any help appreciated ;D

Illori

he was kidding, about that. there is no way we know of for a user to put themselves in another group.

scarhextendedmags

Alright, but that isn't my point. All I need is for every first post of every new member to be approved by a moderator. I tried the suggestions above and it looks all fine but nothing seems to happen! New users are added to the 'Just Registered' group and I have permissions set on that so their posts are only viewable after being approved by a moderator and it just seems to ignore that rule? I'm stumped  :-\

Illori

what "just registered" group? did you set the permissions for post count based groups as well?

scarhextendedmags

Yes. My point is that it just seems to be ignoring the rules I have set. I have no idea why this is happening.. :(

Illori

does the regular members group have posting permissions? if so remove it.

scarhextendedmags

But then won't every regular member not be able to post?

Illori

no they will be able to post as you will give the proper post count based group permission to post normally.

Oldiesmann

If you followed my tutorial above, everything should work just fine.

Remove the permissions to post for the "Regular Members" group and give it to all of the post groups except the one they're in when they join the forum.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

scarhextendedmags

Thanks ;D It worked - I just forgot to set Regular members to cannot post.
Thanks again!

Illuminatus

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 28, 2011, 03:42:10 PM

I clicked "Modify" on the existing Newbie group and found no such option to change minimum posts to 1?

Advertisement: