[3.0] Notify user when name is mentioned

Started by Dzonny, September 27, 2011, 05:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dzonny

The development team is considering adding "Notify user when name is mentioned" in future versions.
We consider putting usernames in a special bbc code, so users can be notified  via email or pm that they are being talked to.

What do you all think?

Ozzie

what is the point of this to me its pointless,,,a bit like miss miss miss/sir sir sir there talking about you

i take it you mean everytime that a users name is used in a post they will recieve a notification....umm no thanks what happens when like for instance i make a post and several members then post sommat like" what a good post ozzie or thanks ozzie " i gonna get notified each time my name is mentioned ..and what happens if in admin/mods board we are talking about members do they get to know we are talking about them ..again No thanks this is like big brother watching you

Well thats my opinion

2000+ games available to download

Dzonny

Well, as i said, we consider adding new bbc code that will be used for notifying members. For example:
" what a good post ozzie or thanks ozzie " - result with nothing, and:
" what a good post [nu]ozzie[/nu] or thanks ozzie " - result with notification to user "ozzie" because of using "nu" bbc code (which i just used like an example).

Ozzie

i still dont see the point of it!!why would someone want to notify someone that they were talking about them, but regardless of that i will watch this post with interest

2000+ games available to download

Suki

A good idea indeed, I just worry about how to implement this without adding more queries.

Quote from: Ozzie on September 27, 2011, 06:23:45 PM
i still dont see the point of it!!why would someone want to notify someone that they were talking about them, but regardless of that i will watch this post with interest

Different forums, different needs ;)
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Tony Reid

I like the idea, but would suggest that it only does a lookup from the buddies list of the user posting , and perhaps ajax dropdown whilst typing is a good way of doing it.

Much like how facebook does it I guess.

If you had NU bbcode then it would be easy to spam the sites email function in a single post by naming all the members.
Tony Reid

Norv

There are concerns related to abuse. Other relevant topic:
Member tagging idea?

TBH, I like the idea, and those of us used to social networks and big forums might miss it sometimes. It's not easy currently to notify someone of a post of their interest, you have to take up the time to:
- search in members for the person
- send them a PM with the link
- if you saved the link, or go several pages back when you got to PM them :D.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Antes

But not via PM, coz it can overload the system (especially if users like receiving email from forum when they got pm)

Maybe

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Show unread notifications since last visit. or You have new X notification(s). or X notification(s) [ FB like upper left system. ]

Kindred

I actually disagree with this a lot...

it would work just fine on a local, small board...   on a worldwide board with 30k+ members it would piss me off to no end (the same way it does on FB).
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

Maybe an option to allow/disallow mention/tag me and/or maybe permission to tag someone in post/topic

Dzonny

Quote from: Antes on September 29, 2011, 05:50:36 AM
Maybe an option to allow/disallow mention/tag me and/or maybe permission to tag someone in post/topic
+1 from me, and i would add option to limit number of tags in one post though.

Daniel Hofverberg

I have to agree with Kindred on this one. Although such a feature could have its uses (especially on small and medium-sized boards), I think it would be more likely to be annoying, as well as open to abuse/security issues.

Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, but personally I think this sounds like overkill. But as long as the feature would be possible to turn off both globally (from the admin interface) and for each user in their profile, I wouldn't mind such a function being added.

Ricky.

Well, +1 from side, it will actually help to increase activity.
As already discussed,
--> User should have option to disable / enable such notifications from her profile.
--> User group based permission to use such BBC
--> Can have option to send notification only to member if he is in buddy list.. or like .. receive notification only from buddies.

Xarcell

Being able to tag a user is something that is sorely needed. It helps keep people engaged in the community, but it is rougher for Admins, Moderators, and Mod Developers.

This can easily be controlled by allowing an option for the user to ingore tags within a topic. For example, a mod developer might want to select ingore being tagged in his/her own mod support topic. In other cases, the ingore option can be used when it is abused within a topic.

Also, you should only be allowed to tag user's that are participating within that particular topic. Otherwise, people will tag users to drag them into a topic conversation they do not care for.

Mick.

I dig it. Facebook uses it.
One can always turn it off in profile notifications?

Norv

Adding a point to the discussion here. From another perspective, it's exactly on busy (big) boards that people may find it even more useful, because on such boards, even if one is active they won't manage to read not even close to the topics of their interest. One can only follow a few boards and rely on others to ... PM them topics that may interest them but they didn't happen to see. Missing topics of interest - respectively having an easier way to attract someone's interest than PM them with a link and all that, are IMHO the need something like this would answer.
Then there's the potential to abuse to deal with, sure.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

^SITS^

From a smaller board perspective, I really like the idea.  Something that could be turned on or off would be perfect.

HecKel

I like the notification feature, but I think you should start considering to take a step further regarding the BBCode. SMF could be smarter than that, an easier way to notify a user like G+ or Facebook do.
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

TetonTrekker

I moved my Alumni board from Delphi Forums to a SMF board on my own site. (I loaded SMF 10/5/11 and am still learning.) This is the one feature I miss and my group has asked for, it did increase activity in my old forum.

Another option would be users getting a notice when they are quoted would do the trick. ~JMHO

When I grow up I wanna be a ski bum
Don't you know that's what I want to do?
~Chanman

becometa

great suggestion!
a modification which would ensure the functionality is welcome :laugh:

Advertisement: