News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[concept] Vienna

Started by bloc, October 01, 2011, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

This is a concept based on closing the gap between the typical forum theme, and the typical blog. I wanted to get away from the boxy layout of a forum, but at the same time be familiar enough to be recognised as exactly that: a forum.

Its got drafts for the most used sections + 2 others, which show alternative ways of showing a topic: as a blog, and as a gallery. (these are now features in some of the premium themes on BW).

Any comments are welcome.

AllanD

Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

ARG01

Excellent. Would love to see the finished product.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

bloc

It will come. :) Right now I am working on the Harmonia theme, and recoding Blokr..but its due after it. In fact, all of those will be part of the bwTheme project which I've picked up again, and which is used on Blocweb currently.

I am just so fed up truing to wrench the Curve css into what i need :P ..so I am using the bwTheme base theme instead, which is rewritten from ground up on the CSS + many templates too. It allows several subthemes to share a common base and feature-set, without restraining the amount of customization for templates which I need for these away-from-the-normal-layout themes.

Antechinus

I'll be interested to see the results. It's certainly looking good so far.

So are you still going with ThemeForest or are you going to sell the premiums via your site? You seem to change your mind a lot. :D

bloc

Well, I'd love to use ThemeForest, but the themes apparently were not good enough..So I guess I have no choice there. Maybe its eally that, that they aren't up to speed, if so I have only myself to blame for not paying attention enough to the graphic design. But if not, if theres other reasons behind it, then I'd rather not be on TF at all.

Changing my mind often is a good thing, for me. If something I does go in the wrong direction, I have no problem starting in a new one. Bound to make some mistakes along the way and making u-turns then, sets it straight and prevents stagnation. ;D

ARG01

Bloc, feel free to post links to any of your free and premium themes on my site if you like. All theme authors are welcome.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

kat

******, Bloc...

For a WIP, it's bloody brilliant!

Rain Forest

Neekiinh0

You are human? I love your designs...

Adaptamos themes de otras plataformas a SMF!
Contactame por MP o Skype: neekiinh0 para saber mas.

bloc

bloc

- added memberlist and PM template drafts.

ARG01

Antechinus

I like those two templates. Listing the existing pm's in a separate column is a good idea. I've never really liked the default table at the top as it hogs too much screen space IMO.

Obviously I'll like the memberlist too, since it's a similar idea to the one I use.

Ricky.

this is again brilliant.. clean and creative .. . May SMF can give us one of your similar theme as part of package . .. :)

Akyhne

Sure this is for SMF?! You did it!

bloc

Quote from: Antechinus on October 08, 2011, 05:35:16 PM
I like those two templates. Listing the existing pm's in a separate column is a good idea. I've never really liked the default table at the top as it hogs too much screen space IMO.

Obviously I'll like the memberlist too, since it's a similar idea to the one I use.
It does, doesn't it? Like so many email programs, the titles are shown on the left, or rather categories/postboxes are. I think its a fair trade, to move them over there. Of course with a left sidebar it will be more cramped..but thats whay I really cut down on whats shown in each message: avatar, name,title, text, reply buttons. No more.

Quote from: Ricky. on October 09, 2011, 02:46:57 PM
this is again brilliant.. clean and creative .. . May SMF can give us one of your similar theme as part of package . .. :)
Well, I did make Curve too, so its just to ask lol.

Quote from: Akyhne on October 10, 2011, 09:30:00 PM
Sure this is for SMF?! You did it!
It is..but tbh its more closer to a typical blog/WP layout. But thats only because its so more readable IMHO.

Antechinus

Quote from: Bloc on October 11, 2011, 08:24:39 AM
Quote from: Antechinus on October 08, 2011, 05:35:16 PM

It does, doesn't it? Like so many email programs, the titles are shown on the left, or rather categories/postboxes are. I think its a fair trade, to move them over there. Of course with a left sidebar it will be more cramped..but thats whay I really cut down on whats shown in each message: avatar, name,title, text, reply buttons. No more.

Could get fancy and add a show/hide clicky thing for narrow res. :)

bloc

Yeah, that could be done. Once its coded I will be able to feel it in action.

RedCairo

This is just beautiful!

I came here searching. I haven't done webwork in a long time but an old client is asking for help and he's got a website, a blog, he's a professor so also some students, his wife wants a photo gallery area, and I thought, if only I could use SimplePortal and tie everything together. But that's based on SMF, which I also love and still have as forums I have kind of ignored for the last couple years (fortunately others don't), but not a blog.

But gosh, if only I could either tie it to his wordpress blog, or (since I can easily pull the blog into SP without integration) just use SMF as if it were a blog for all the other sections. What a novel idea. I could make sections just for the gallery, just for his private students, and so on. So I came to SMF and searched to see what kind of plugins might exist to make it possible to either integrate a blog or use SMF like a blog. I thought I might have thought of it. ;-)

Then I see your pages above, which are clean and elegant yet 'cool'. That's just awesome. It looks great.

When do you think something like this might exist? How much would it cost (since it's out of my pocket not his -- he's a retired gent old friend)?  I'd love to experiment with it!

Best,
PJ

Fussilet

Dear Bloc, you're one of the legendary...

bloc

Thanks, fussilet. :)

palyne,
You will perhaps be happy to know that the whole Vienna concept is already making it into a SMF fork, where it will be the default theme. It will be compatible with SMf itself - up to some extent, I am not rewriting SMF entirely lol - and thus free. If you want to read more, theres a couple of blogs(really just forum posts, proof of concept) on Blocweb about it:

http://www.blocweb.net/index.php?board=59

The reason its going into a fork, and not just as a normal SMF theme, is that I want to merge portal capabilites with blog/gallery/download, using just posts as the source, as well as a few other inventions that can't be done within just the theme. The look of Vienna is new, but already some of my premium themes(so far) on Blocweb has also the blog/gallery function.ViennaBBS won't be out until christmas though, at least not in any final form.

RedCairo

Thanks Bloc. I looked at your site and some of your other themes. You're tremendously talented.

(I couldn't find the groovy picture at the top of your site, in your art section. I was meditating early this week and ran into this -- er, never mind the details -- anyway, 'person' for lack of a better word, whose face skin was entirely colored (vivid 'living' colors) in streaks and such, and it kind of reminded me of the picture you have up there in a neat way.)

I'd be happy to be a betatester if you want some. I kinda suck at PhP (cfml/sql is normally my thing, or was until a few years ago when I changed my line of work) but I can test and report stuff decently.

I am not 100% sure I understand the "fork" concept (how the word is being used), but I am not wedded to any specific thing here, only the end result, and I love the direction you're taking with all this. I think it's the way "presentation web" should be! -- this stuff is like mexican food, there's about 8 ingredients you can put together for 30 different things. :-)

Let me ask, if I wanted to choose a theme to work on setting things up in, which could be "replaced" with your Vienna theme come christmas, what would you recommend?

PJ

bloc

Have a look at the themes over there, but perhaps the Coral theme is most alike to Vienna.

Beta-testing is a bit early yet..but it will be available soon enough. I am not planning major changes at first, more taking things in turn, but the theme HAS to be ready, so thats a pri.

For the fork part..its stand-alone scripts based on SMF. Some, like Wedge, are totally rewritten, others maybe not so much. Vienna fall in that latter category, as I feel SMF is great already..it just has stagnated a bit last 2 years. And of course, no denial of that, this is what I personally would like SMF to become. ;D I hope it will be useful for others too, but that isn't the main attraction for me. Its more getting to expand upon ideas I explored through themes and TinyPortal earlier.

Rain Forest

Best theme I've ever seen!

bloc

Quote from: 4Three on January 07, 2013, 08:47:01 AM
Thanks. :) That theme isn't going to be made for SMF unfortunelately, but will most likely be for bloQS, my small fork of SMF 2. The reason is that it means rewriting so many templates for SMF in its particular style of design, and in addition be able to show topics as different "types" (blog, gallery etc) - which bloQS already supports.

ramtan

it's look good . i'll wait see full theme

Rain Forest

Quote from: Bloc on January 07, 2013, 09:13:13 AM
Quote from: 4Three on January 07, 2013, 08:47:01 AM
Thanks. :) That theme isn't going to be made for SMF unfortunelately, but will most likely be for bloQS, my small fork of SMF 2. The reason is that it means rewriting so many templates for SMF in its particular style of design, and in addition be able to show topics as different "types" (blog, gallery etc) - which bloQS already supports.
:(

Advertisement: