[4825] Firefox 8 beta bug

Started by wattie, October 04, 2011, 10:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: live627 on November 09, 2011, 07:09:41 PM
QuoteI got pissed off with Firefox, coz every time there's a damned upgrade, none of the addons worked.
Ah yes the utter nightmare of using version numbers to determine compatibility... why don't they check for functions? Makes sense considering FF's new release schedule.
I'm guessing because SMF doesn't and what's good enough for SMF is good enough for Firefox. :P
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

Leemy

So My understand now is there is a mod somewhere on the Mod site that fixes this FF/SMF bug? Can someone link it? thank

IchBin™

Quote from: Leemy on December 01, 2011, 12:27:00 AM
So My understand now is there is a mod somewhere on the Mod site that fixes this FF/SMF bug? Can someone link it? thank

This should work for you.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=454734.msg3214329#msg3214329
IchBin™        TinyPortal

I Agree

Noticed this today.

Can someone, for someone who has only ever edited SMF's source code/themes, post instructions for the quickest fix that ideally does not involve editing said files?

I have never learned SMF's newer package/mod process. This might be a good time to do so if that is best  :-[

Krillin

Quote from: Tomcraft on November 22, 2011, 09:05:58 PM
Hi Stefan,

this new fix works perfect! Even if the file has blanks in its name. ;-)

Here is the fix for SMF 2.0.x for the package manager.

Regards, Torsten
Thanks for this fix, this seems to have fixed our problem, tested with Firefox 8 at the time of this posting. Thank you for your package.

Administrators:
Download the package
Upload via FTP to your-domain.com/forums/Packages folder
Go to your forums and log in
Go to Admin --> Package Manager and install the usual way

Hope this help anyone who needs help...

Get the file from this post.

Krillin
Gaming Community Web Site
Forums Use: SMF 2.0.18
Mods Installed: (NONE)
Browser: Chrome

I Agree

Is there an Admin -> Packages -> Download Packages way?

Illori

on the bottom of that page you can upload the package.

I Agree

It would be nice if you could patch SMF through the package manager, something like with Linux distros (without bouncing files around) ... I am normally very swift to pick these things up, so there must be something very counter-intuitive, or atypical about SMF's ways.

EDITED: Oh and... which file am I uploading thru the package manager? The archive itself? Or one of the xml files (probably not the package-info.xml one) ?

Illori

the archive, and we do issue updates though the package manager

I Agree

Quote from: Illori on December 18, 2011, 11:35:59 AM
the archive, and we do issue updates though the package manager

Hmmm. My version/theme doesn't look like it's up to that.

Ok, the archive then...

Illori

if you are not using 2.0.1 you should upgrade.

I Agree

Quote from: Illori on December 19, 2011, 12:38:24 PM
if you are not using 2.0.1 you should upgrade.

Forum version: SMF 2.0 RC4

Any chance an upgrade would overwrite changes made to the source code? When advised to make the changes (here) it would suggested updates would not likely clobber them.

PS: This may already have been said. But the top of this thread suggests this is an 8.0 "Beta" problem with FF. I'm assuming since the problem was found to be in the SMF code this could use correcting. Anyway whether FF should be more lenient or not. My version is 8.0 and not beta. Edited: actually the subject is FF 8 Beta.

Illori

it would override all your files, as there are changes to all files in the upgrade.

this is no longer just an issue with the ff beta

I Agree

^Though so. I like SMF but this is problematic. Seems like once installed I can never upgrade. Maybe there is a version control with merger way?

Quote from: PS:Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

Maybe those directories are not writable. Let's see if I can find them...

EDITED: Packages is writable. There is no "temp" sub directory in Packages. I'm not sure how offtopic this is. But apologies regardless.

Illori

make sure you have a temp folder, and you are at risk of SEVERAL security hacks by not upgrading.

I Agree

Quote from: Illori on December 19, 2011, 12:52:05 PM
make sure you have a temp folder, and you are at risk of SEVERAL security hacks by not upgrading.

Packages/temp is writable all but publicly. Still same message. I will open a thread about my upgrade options. You guys need to be working on a non-invasive upgrade mechanism.

EDITED: The package fix in the thread is .zip format. Just pointing that out in case the upload handler doesn't understand .zip.

Illori

we will not do that for RC releases, which has been said many times. but we do have a package manager upgrade for stable releases.

I Agree

Quote from: Illori on December 19, 2011, 03:23:37 PM
we will not do that for RC releases, which has been said many times. but we do have a package manager upgrade for stable releases.

Oh, I was chastised into installing RC4 because I was told previous stuff was not recommended.  I wonder if I could go backwards with the install then.

Oh it looks like 2.0.1 is the only option. Is 2.0 considered stable now then? I may just do a re-install if so.

Illori

2.0 was considered the stable release over the summer when it came out, i would never want to run an older version as it will have security issues.

IchBin™

Yes, SMF2.0.1 is the most recent stable version released. You can actually download any version of SMF from the downloads page by clicking on the archives link. But for all intensive purposes, you can't downgrade without restoring to old data.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Advertisement: