News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[4757] 2.0 final, how to clear search engine stats?

Started by imrich, June 15, 2011, 07:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imrich

I have a test forum which was following the development of 2.0 from beta to RC and now final.

Most everything seems to work well, but I'm surprised to see that there is no way to clear out the:

Administration Center » Search Engines » Stats

I half expected this to show up in the 2.0 final code.

I have 7 pages of search engine stats showing. It seems there are buttons and tools to clear every other log except this one? Or am I misssing something?

I tried "Empty out unimportant logs", and looking for a button or tool to clear the search engine stats.

Why is the search engine stats the only protected log that can't be cleared?

If there is a tool to do this easily, please advise.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

imrich

Kindred,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did try to clear the spider logs! The spider logs are empty, but the Search Engine Stats have months of information.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If I remember correctly, if you turn off Search Engine tracking from the core settings, it clears the stats too.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

imrich

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 16, 2011, 08:29:41 AM
If I remember correctly, if you turn off Search Engine tracking from the core settings, it clears the stats too.

I tried this. I turned off "Search Engine Tracking" from core settings, saved the setting. The only thing that happened was that the 'Search Engines" menu disappeared.  When I turned "Search Engine Tracking" back on, my stats were still there.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: imrich on June 16, 2011, 08:45:32 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 16, 2011, 08:29:41 AM

I tried this. I turned off "Search Engine Tracking" from core settings, saved the setting. The only thing that happened was that the 'Search Engines" menu disappeared.  When I turned "Search Engine Tracking" back on, my stats were still there.

Okay, perhaps it was the actual statistics setting then... I know I've emptied mine without going to the DB manually...
Try Admin -> Members -> Search Engines -> Settings

Set "Search Engine Tracking Level" to "Disabled" and save.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

imrich

This also does nothing. I changed the setting to 'disabled', saved it. The Stats logs were still there. I then enabled it again and saved it. The Stats logs were still there.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hmm.. I know I had months and months of stats at one point, now I have none - and I'm sure I didn't clear them through the DB... Now, If I just could remember what I did :P
Sadly, this is starting to scream UI failure, so I'd almost call this a bug, unless we find a hidden option somewhere that does that the trick nice and easy...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

imrich

This is why I asked here! :) I assumed (maybe that was a mistake) that this would be fixed somehow in 2.0 final.

This is the only log that doesn't have a 'Empty log' button. So we either need one added, or we need the 'empty unimportant logs' maintanance feature to empty this log.

I'll leave it to you to decide the best way.

I know I can use mysqladmin to clear things like this up, but I was hoping for a cleaner (easier) solution.

Thanks!

Kindred

Well, in all fairness to the devs... If it never got reported as a bug, they didn't know it needed to be fixed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

imrich

The devs are doing a great job! So they have my fairness vote already!

Perhaps get it on a list for an update in the future. This is not a high priority issue, but certainly an admin UI missing feature..

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Actually, I think I found a way -

Try Admin -> Members -> Search Engines -> Settings

Set "Search Engine Tracking Level" to "Disabled" and save.

Then go to Admin -> Maintenance -> Logs -> Log Pruning

Check "Enable pruning of log entries" and set "Remove search engine hit logs older than" to 1
and wait a while for the logs to clear....
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Antechinus

Ugh. We can probably make people jump through a few more hoops if we try hard. :D

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yup, and I didn't actually test that either, I just assumed that would probably do it. :P
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

imrich

I don't think this log pruning works. I have my search engine hit log pruning set to 180 days, yet I have entries in my log that go back to 2009.

Also, another test forum I have search engine hits set to disabled, and the log pruning set to 1 day, and then I ran the scheduled daily maintenance and there are still entries in the log going back to 2009 (note that I started these two installations in 2009).

imrich

I see this is listed as a fix with the code committed on 2/18/12. Thanks for this! I'm looking forward to the next release that will have this fix in it.

emanuele

Yep, we are cleaning out some bugs while working on 2.1, so as the first beta will be out you'll have the possibility to see it working as expected. ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: