News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Version Emulate Dropdown

Started by Jessica., April 03, 2012, 10:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica.

There is currently a mod -- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=334952 -- for 1.x that provides a drop down for the versions. For 2.0.x, you have to type it in. I know it's easy to type it in, but in my opinion, it's much easier having a drop down. So I'm hoping that in the future the emulate box will change to a drop down.
Testing Zone - SMF 2.0.7, default Curve
School & Chat - phpBB3, over 170 mods installed, official live forum

I use the latest version of Chrome

phpBB: Forum = a section; Board = whole site
SMF: Forum = whole site; Board = a section

IchBin™

I'm hoping this will happen in the future too! In fact, I'll add something to the bug tracker so we won't forget. :)

http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=4976
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Spuds

Spuds nudges IchBin to look at the 2.1 package manager page ;)  It has a dropdown list plus a first pass at "smart" emulation where it auto picks the closest version, on a per mod basis, if no install instructions are available for the version you are running. 

IchBin™

haha, you rock Spuds. Ema told me to take a look at the current stuff. Haven't had a chance to look at all the fanciness you added. That's purdy sweet! Who needs a drop down anyway! ;)

live627

Quote from: Spuds on April 04, 2012, 04:36:55 PM
a first pass at "smart" emulation where it auto picks the closest version, on a per mod basis, if no install instructions are available for the version you are running. 
That defeats the purpose of mod versioning. Why not just remove it altogether if that "adaptive" emulation is implemented?

IchBin™

How does it defeat the purpose of mod versions?

Spuds

The change depends on the mod version tag(s) in the package, it simply gets the next closest install version if the correct one is not found.  If there were no longer any version tags, it would not work.

This is simply one way of saying / showing "this mod is not for this version of SMF .... do you want me to try and install it anyway?"  Of course we all know that even if its for the same version it may not install anyway, especially if its not a hook based mod.

In the end its all to try and help folks from having to guess at what version to enter in to the emulate box, when they can find the box or figure out the version :P

live627

Hmm, it makes more sense when explained that way.

Advertisement: