News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

"Not returning to the Post"

Started by kat, October 11, 2011, 01:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norv

So, which do you think is better off as default, here?

It is more "natural" to return to the post, or to the message index?

No biggie, either way, since this is easy to set as desired. Just funny.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Illori

to start can you tell us what the default is already? i am assuming you are considering change it on sm.org

Norv

I'd like to know which makes more sense, or comes more "naturally" to people. As I said, it's not a biggie, but I don't see why not have as default the one that is more useful or used. This discussion is, so far, having too few opinions. (although funny ones). So far, the matter is obviously a matter of preference and I think it falls under "if it ain't broke" rule. So far. (If there are more and stronger opinions, that may change.)

As default in SMF, that is. I didn't think to change it on sm.org, do you think that would help anything? It's per profile anyway. My own profile has, of course,
>> Return to topics after posting by default checked. :D
The themes defaults are unchecked, as per standard SMF install.

My point is, if many people DO change it for their forums (either as forum default or per their profile), I think SMF should change its defaults. If. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

Illori

i did change it on my forum, but i have not heard the users complain that they are redirected back to the post once submitted. also consider users with fewer then 10 posts can not edit this option as they can not edit their profile here, so a "user friendly" option would be nice.

kat

"Return to post" seems most natural.

Kindred

lol...   we disagree on that K@. :P   most natural to me is to go to the index after submitting a post. As I said, I don't see the point of going back to the post.

Anyway...  I think we have all expressed our opinions... we need input from a significant number of OTHER users.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

You can't be considered as "Natural", though. ;)

Illori

live627

Would be nice to go to the post instead of the message index.

emanuele

I managed to get a mixed result (I'm not really sure how I obtained it): if I use the quick reply it returns to the message index, while if I use the post page it returns to the topic.

Funny thing is I don't like any of the two behaviours... :P
Sometime I prefer to come back to the topic, sometime I prefer go to the message index. So probably it doesn't matter.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Norv

We just had the nth support request on how to make SMF return to the post, and Ant and I came up with the resolution and a bit of fun doing so: community poll. :)

Please find it at: Default setting: return to thread or return to index?

Feel free to let know your preference there. After all, it's just a setting that can be changed both per user and admin (per theme actually), still I think the defaults are natural to be the most popular - the most used.

Fustrate

Quote from: N. N. on October 11, 2011, 03:42:16 PM
Personally, I always return to my post. :) And many times edit it for something trivial. :D

Pretend I just said this, because it's exactly what I would've said :P
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Thantos

Quote from: K@ on November 07, 2011, 11:13:07 AM
Most natural for me would be to magically close that tab as I've already moved on.

Norv

Quote from: Thantos on April 05, 2012, 11:37:04 PM
Quote from: K@ on November 07, 2011, 11:13:07 AM
Most natural for me would be to magically close that tab as I've already moved on.

If such thing would happen, I'd use immediately Ctrl+Z in Opera, respectively whatever "undo close tab" action my current browser has. :D

Thantos

People still use opera?  What are you, a hipster? :p

Seriously, my method of forum browsing is this:  Unread search (either unread, global, category, or board), open new tabs for topics I want to read, close search tab, read topic, post reply, close tab, move onto the next one, repeat.  If I could make the tab close after posting then I could move onto the next one faster.

Advertisement: