News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Direct image upload

Started by bharatforum, October 12, 2011, 04:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Posting pictures on email is no simpler than using attachments as is.

Posting stuff on Facebook is also surprisingly hit or miss in my experience, but eh, I don't have 16 years of web site development experience or anything.

Disclaimer: I am currently working on a gallery mod which will likely be *even easier* for you to get people to post things. We shall see. Secondary disclaimer: it will not be free.

Ron G4GWC

Great that will help, but I have a photo gallery in process on the website so not needed here, nice but!
Its not my experience or your experience thats needed its making it usable for random users to post on the site!
I have had smf on my site now for a number of years and quite frankly I am scared of SMf mods tried a few mods and portal they have
all created many hours of work recovering my SMF installation.
Regards

Arantor

Considering that I'm a former member of the dev team, I would think *very* carefully about your comments about my experience.

Ron G4GWC

Have I put or missed a coma out, don't recall commenting on your experience, I said its not down to ( our Experience) ,
its down to the users ability to use the forum the forum,
Maybe different wording but that was the intended meaning.

Cheers

Arantor

Except actually you did. By telling me that I don't know what the software should be doing as a core feature.

Or maybe I have a higher opinion of the users than you do - and no-one around here would ever accuse me of thinking too highly of people normally.

Ron G4GWC

Sorry i did not realize the Image Upload scheme was your Fault,

:-* :o
Regards

Kindred

and your issues regarding mods, Ron?   I have installed over 200 mods on one forum....  with no errors and only a few manual edits required...

So, if one or two mods have screwed up your site enough for "hours of work recovering..."  then you are obviosuly doing something VERY wrong.

And once again... I point you to the discussions above regarding your assertion that there is any issue at all.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

No, my choice not to change it was my fault. Because I see absolutely nothing wrong with how it is at present for general users.

Ron G4GWC

Yes fine:
Your are very  welcome to your opinions, stupid me and the others that seem to want something different.

Nave a nice day

Ron

Arantor

And once again you take my comments out of context.

Goldengirl71

I'll keep you posted here Ron, sounds good to me, although I'll know better how it all works once I make the changes;) Denise

Ron G4GWC

Hi abbeynormal;

yes thanks for that, I will look forward to hearing from you.

All the best

Ron

Antechinus

Quote from: Arantor on September 24, 2014, 08:48:59 AM
It's not quite as simple as that, I'm afraid. When you're talking 10KB vs 100KB or similar, that's not a problem. But when you're talking 10KB thumbnail vs 1MB+ digital photos (given the suggested audience in question) it starts to get a whole lot more funky.

Well yeah, but that's their lookout. I got the impression this was mainly wanted for posting lolcats etc here and there, which should be ok as long as the server is decent. It's not likely to be a high traffic site. If someone insists on filling up a page with 10 meg images, and then wants to view said page on dialup, I'll just laugh.

Apart from the full-sized pics part of it, which is optional, I'm just curious to see if the basic presentation changes to Post.template.php make things easier for some people.

Goldengirl71

Quote from: Antechinus on September 24, 2014, 04:38:58 AM
Ok, try this and see what you think. Save a copy of your default theme's Post.template.php, then upload the attached file to overwrite the existing template.

Also, add the following code to the end of your theme's index.css. Do this for any themes you will be using (default or custom).

.attachments {overflow: visible;}
.attachments img {width: auto; height: auto; max-width: 95%; max-height: auto;}

Last, go to Admin > Forum > Attachments and Avatars > Attachment Settings.

Set the values for "Resize images when showing under posts" to unchecked, "Save thumbnails as PNG" as unchecked, "Maximum width of thumbnails" as zero, and "Maximum height of thumbnails" as zero.

Do a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) and then go to the posting page and see what you think. :)

Hi Ant,

The last part of my CSS in default post.template.php looks like the first attachment.  Since I haven't written CSS yet (ever) I am going to put in your new stuff as so to go with the other codes are written.  If/when you are around, maybe you can tell me how to do it if this is "off"?

Thank you for all your help, Denise

Here is how I think I need to enter it because how I see the other code/css:

{
.attachments {overflow: visible;}
.attachments img {width: auto; height: auto; max-width: 95%; max-height: auto;}
}

Goldengirl71

Hello Ant,

I may not get back to you as I have to be gone today, just can't thank you enough.  I think this will be easy for me to add, so we'll just see how it turns out;) Denise  PS have to go to emergency room so not just ignoring my site or your help;)

Antechinus

Nope. What you are trying to do there is emulate the format for a media query for print media. Media queries have the extra brackets and stuff (you'll notice it has "@media print" in front of the brackets). You don't want that for ordinary CSS. Just enter the code I gave you, as I wrote it. It should look like this when it's done.

/* Styles for print media.
------------------------------------------------------- */
@media print
{
#headerarea
{
display: none;
}

.tborder
{
border: none;
}