permissions for editing signature

Started by Illori, October 14, 2011, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

many users seem to want to limit which groups can have signatures and edit them. it would be easier to have a permission just for the signature then to have to limit them to not being able to edit their whole profile. by limiting their access to the profile, they can not change things like if they want to save pm's by default or change settings in look and layout, or if they want to receive announcements/newsletters. this could also lead to a general permission for the forum profile page without limiting access to the other pages in the profile.

Kays

Yes, that and maybe several profile options like website and blurb.

In the meanwhile, isn't there a mod or two which can do this?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Illori

no idea, i have several mods on my forum already i would rather a default feature then use yet another for such a simple idea. but if one exists that is great for those that would like to use it in the mean time.

[edit] i dont see such a mod listed when searching for signature

Antechinus

Somewhat sort of related: I've been thinking that we should split the user options for not viewing sigs and avatars in threads. It would make more sense to me if people had the option of viewing avs (because they give a good feel to the place and provide easy visual cues to the authors) while still being able to disable sigs (because a lot of the time they're just a PITA). Obviously they could still select both options if they didn't want to see avs or sigs.

青山 素子

I agree that an option for more granular control would be nice. Perhaps it could be re-worked to group profile editing permissions together on the screen to allow for a quick toggle of all.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kays

Quote from: Illori on October 14, 2011, 10:29:06 AM
no idea, i have several mods on my forum already i would rather a default feature then use yet another for such a simple idea. but if one exists that is great for those that would like to use it in the mean time.

[edit] i dont see such a mod listed when searching for signature

I just had to look and found two. But they are way outdated. Something I'm a surprised at since this has been a common support request as of late.

Not that I'm into creating a mod, But it shouldn't be that difficult to do since it's just adding a few new permissions.

Quote from: Antechinus on October 14, 2011, 10:51:45 AM
Somewhat sort of related: I've been thinking that we should split the user options for not viewing sigs and avatars in threads. ............

Maybe not quite related. But I agree. :)

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 14, 2011, 12:01:43 PM
I agree that an option for more granular control would be nice. Perhaps it could be re-worked to group profile editing permissions together on the screen to allow for a quick toggle of all.

Some are optional, but not all. Some, like the sig, fall under the profile_extra permission. Which also covers things like theme section, PMs, birthdate etc.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Kays

Since it's not a feature currently. How's this for an option in the meanwhile. :)

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3237

My Mods

Antechinus

Kays

Off course. But then, that's what all mod authors claim. :P

It wasn't that hard to do. Once I figured out how the profile page was put together.

My Mods

Antechinus

Yeah I only asked because one of mine currently doesn't. :D

Illori

Quote from: Kays on October 14, 2011, 07:07:43 PM
Since it's not a feature currently. How's this for an option in the meanwhile. :)

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3237

just for those that cant see what it is, Kays created a mod that

QuoteThis mod adds permission to allow or deny the editing of the following in a member's profile, signature, website, location and personal text.

These permissions are enabled by default for all member groups except "Regular Members".

Kays

I should watch what board I'm posting in. Thanks.

My Mods

Account Abandoned

I thinking permission for signatures would be a great idea. Maybe put the signature option on another page. Also in relation to signatures, a BBCode or WYSIWYG editor attached to editing signatures would be a nice idea :)

Advertisement: