Upgrade problems due to server configuration?

Started by MrMike, October 15, 2011, 01:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMike

It was suggested in this thread by Illori that I post here to see if my server configuration may be an issue in the problems I'm experiencing when trying to upgrade from SMF 1.1.12 to SMF 2.0.1.

I'm using a dedicated server running Debian:

Debian server
PHP: 5.2.6-1+lenny6 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.6.2 (cli) (built: Feb  9 2010 03:05:13)
mySQL: 5.0.51a-24+lenny3
4GB of RAM
Dual Core processor

Load on the server is very low, so I don't think it's connected to that.

I've clear the log_search* tables and then put the board in Maintenance Mode.

When I start the upgrade it runs for a while, but then stops after the "Rebuilding fulltext index...done' step with a message stating that the "Server has not responded for 30 seconds."I've tried waiting and trying that step again. I've also tied restarting from scratch, but no luck. I also increased the php timeout to 60 seconds with no effect.

If I restart from the last step, I get this:Executing: "Updating search cache..." (14 of 19 - of this script)...and it stalls with the "Server has not responded..." error message. I've let it sit at this point for over an hour with no change.

I believe it's just halted and is not doing any processing or anything. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. 

If necessary, I'd be willing to give you or a member of the Support Team full access, admin and FTP logins.

青山 素子

What happens if you switch from a search index to just normal un-indexed search? You'll have to build the search index again after the upgrade, but it may allow the process to complete.

Of course, test this on a copy instead of breaking your production site.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

MrMike

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 15, 2011, 05:45:38 PM
What happens if you switch from a search index to just normal un-indexed search?

I'm not sure how I would switch from one to the other. (??)  I've looked at the search options and don't see anything about un-indexed searching. Can you give me an idea of how to do this? 

I'll try anything at this point.

青山 素子

Under the search method area (Forum -> Search -> Search Method), select "no index".
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

MrMike

It doesn't appear to have that setting in the Search options. (??)

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 16, 2011, 02:18:42 AM
Under the search method area (Forum -> Search -> Search Method), select "no index".

青山 素子

That's odd. It's in the same place in 1.1 and 2.0.
Motoko-chan

MrMike

Here is everything under the Search settings (image attached):

Enable simple search     
Only search for complete word matches     
Disable temporary tables
(only check if use of temporary tables is not allowed)

Number of search results per page     
Maximum cached searches
(0 to disable caching)

Relative search weight for number of matching messages within a topic     
Relative search weight for age of last matching message     
Relative search weight for topic length     
Relative search weight for a matching subject     
Relative search weight for a first message match     

青山 素子

I can't find that area in SMF 1.1. Are you using some kind of modification for search?

The URL for changing the indexing is at index.php?action=managesearch;sa=method
Motoko-chan

MrMike

Going to that URL just takes me to the board index. (??)

No, this forum isn't using any mods for search, in fact it isn't using any mods at all (except for the update packages). I'd be willing to PM you an admin login if you'd like to take a look and see if you can figure out what's going on.

I think one or more of the updates may have gone awry, because I see this in the Admin Center:

Forum version: SMF 1.0.21
Current SMF version: SMF 1.1.15

But at the bottom of the board it says the version is 1.1.12.

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 17, 2011, 02:45:40 AM
I can't find that area in SMF 1.1. Are you using some kind of modification for search?

The URL for changing the indexing is at index.php?action=managesearch;sa=method

青山 素子

Well, the whole search thing would make sense if you actually were still on 1.0.

It might be worth trying the large upgrade for the latest 1.1 first, then moving to 2.0. You could try this all on a copy so it wouldn't mess up the main site until you verified that things were working.

I could try and help you out with the upgrades, but I'm a bit busy right now. I might be able to find some time during the week for a quick review.
Motoko-chan

MrMike

Could you please point me to the correct file to try the large upgrade for the version I've got?

I'm looking at the downloads page but don't see it, and I looked at the archived releases page as well. I don't see anything to go from 1.0x to 1.1x. (??)

I have the forum and DB fully backed up, so I can try this without any danger. I'm dying to get this forum up to the 2.x version.

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 17, 2011, 11:40:10 AM
Well, the whole search thing would make sense if you actually were still on 1.0.

It might be worth trying the large upgrade for the latest 1.1 first, then moving to 2.0. You could try this all on a copy so it wouldn't mess up the main site until you verified that things were working.

I could try and help you out with the upgrades, but I'm a bit busy right now. I might be able to find some time during the week for a quick review.

青山 素子

You want "SMF 1.1.15 - upgrade". Download the format you want then follow the instructions over at http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
Motoko-chan

MrMike

Okay....I upgraded to 1.1.15 without any issues, so I can at least revert to 1.1.15 as needed.

However, I uploaded the smf_2-0-1_upgrade.zip file and ran it, and everything stops in the same place.

"Rebuilding fulltext index...done" is the last completed step shown. (I let it sit for a good ~20 minutes or so without any progress.)

Restarting from the last step dies on "Updating search cache..." with the "Server has not responded for 30 seconds" message.

:-\

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 17, 2011, 02:55:51 PM
You want "SMF 1.1.15 - upgrade". Download the format you want then follow the instructions over at http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

青山 素子

After moving to 1.1.15, did you double-check that no search index is being used?
Motoko-chan

MrMike

Yes, that was the first thing I did, lol. See attached pic.

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 17, 2011, 04:25:19 PM
After moving to 1.1.15, did you double-check that no search index is being used?

青山 素子

Hmmm. Without seeing directly, I can only suggest doing an "offline update", which would basically mean setting the forum up elsewhere (such as locally on your computer), running the upgrade, then moving the updated files and database back to your server.
Motoko-chan

MrMike

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 17, 2011, 07:03:35 PM
Hmmm. Without seeing directly, I can only suggest doing an "offline update", which would basically mean setting the forum up elsewhere (such as locally on your computer), running the upgrade, then moving the updated files and database back to your server.

I don't have any way to do that, unfortunately. :(

Is there a way do to the update from the command line?

青山 素子

I believe there might be, but I'm not aware of what it is offhand.
Motoko-chan

MrMike

Is there a spot in the upgrade code where I can extend the 30 secods to a longer time? I really don't think that's it, but it's worth a try.

Or, can I modify the code to comment out or skip that step perhaps?

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 17, 2011, 08:05:01 PM

MrMike

EDIT:

After a fair amount of fussing and fighting and hair-pulling, I've got the forum up to 2.01. Took a few tries but eventually it got past the sticking point that had me stopped.

I'll add it to the Showcase forum once the forum is all tidied up.

Thank you 青山 素子 for your help.

(How do I pronounce "青山 素子", by the way?)

Quote from: MrMike on October 17, 2011, 08:47:46 PM
Is there a spot in the upgrade code where I can extend the 30 secods to a longer time? I really don't think that's it, but it's worth a try.

Or, can I modify the code to comment out or skip that step perhaps?

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 17, 2011, 08:05:01 PM

Advertisement: