Re-Arranging User Info in 2.0.1

Started by Tibbetts, October 17, 2011, 05:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tibbetts

Was wondering where I can do this?  I've noticed that themes don't have the Display.Template file anymore.  So where do we edit it now?

I'd like my user info in posts to look like this:

Username
Group(Admin, Moderator, Member, etc)
Rank Title
Rank Image
Post Count
User Text

Hope you all can help! :D

Regards,

-Tibbetts
Cowl: "Insolent child! I will rip your mind asunder!"
Harry Dresden: "Bring it, Darth Bathrobe!"

Suki

If your theme does not have its own Display.template.php then you will need to modify the file from the default theme located at /Themes/default/Display.template.php
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Tibbetts

What if the them I wish to edit is the Default?  Or, does it make a difference?

Regards.

Suki

if you want to edit the default theme then edit the file from that theme.

if you're theme do have its own file, then edit that file.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Tibbetts

Sorry, I misspoke.  I meant that the theme I wish to edit isn't the SMF Default(neither Core or Default 2.0) but a theme created by someone in the community.  That's the skin that we are using as Default and doesn't have the Display.Template file.

-Tibbetts

Suki

Its the same.

some themes do have a display.template, some themes don't.

if your theme does have its own file, then edit that file.

if your theme does not have its own file, then it wil take the one from the default theme, hence you need to modify the file from the default theme.

Tibbetts

So after modifying it, I just copy and paste it into the new theme?

Regards.

Suki

no, you could do that, yes, but its preferable not to.  just edit the file from the default theme and thats it.

Tibbetts

Antechinus

Quote from: Miss All Sunday on October 17, 2011, 07:00:35 PM
no, you could do that, yes, but its preferable not to.  just edit the file from the default theme and thats it.

Why is it preferable not to? The advice for custom themes was traditionally that you should not edit the default if you don't have to. That way you have a fallback if you totally bork your custom theme. You also are sure to not have any problem with patches when they become necessary. Copying the template into the custom theme and editing that does make a lot of sense if you only want to use that theme on your site. :)

Advertisement: