News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Will mods installed before new theme work on new theme?

Started by JohnWayne999, October 17, 2011, 03:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnWayne999

Hello. Just a quick question about installing themes, thanks:

1) Let's say I installed 10 themes already. Now I install a mod. During installation this mod tells me if I want to use it in other themes other than default, I need to tick all those other themes as well. So I click all the compatible mods, try to include all the themes. That's all good up to now.

Say next I decided to install another theme- the 11th theme. And that's done. What about the mods I installed BEFORE the 11th theme was installed? Are those mods going to work on themes installed afterwards ie. in this case the 11th theme?

If not, how do I tell this latest theme about all the mods installed prior? Do I need to uninstall all the relevant mods and re-install?

2) When I install mods, they check against all my themes and most are compatible while few are not. For example:
     -Http:BL fails Excellent Love theme
     -Badbehaviour failed ADK Cool Black theme
     -notCaptcha failed Light theme and Excellent Love theme

Is this only referring to admin control panel interface or general users? For example, does it mean if I install both Http:BL and Excellent Love theme, when a user selects to use Excellent Love theme Http:BL won't be operating? I can't grasp what's happening because Http:BL is based on Honeypot which runs in the background, whereas the theme is in the foreground. So incompatibility shouldn't be an issue. Same for Badbehaviour.

Thanks for explaining.

kat

If you install a theme, after you install a mod, the theme won't know that the mod's there. So, it won't install to that theme.

However, not all mods modify custom theme files.

You see, the way SMF works, theme-wise, is that if it wants a file from a custom theme and it's not there, it'll use the corresponding file from the default theme's directory.

So, if a mod edits, say, BoardIndex.template.php and the custom theme doesn't contain that file, the mod will still work, with a custom theme, because it's using that file from the default theme's directory.

If you look in a custom theme's directory and the default theme's one, you'll notice that the custom theme has a LOT fewer files in it.

That's why. :)

(I hope I've put that in a way that makes sense).

Advertisement: