News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Installed theme won't activate?

Started by Tr4visT, October 25, 2011, 09:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tr4visT

Hey everyone,

I am new to SMF but not new to forums or administrating one. I have recently registered with SMF and located a theme on simplemachines.org, installed it successfully and go into the "Themes layout settings" select it from the drop down menu and press Save. At this point the screen reloads and no change visual takes place (?) In the list of themes the new one is now selected but it has clearly not been applied to the forum. I tried this again with a completely different theme and again the same thing. Can someone please help me out?

IchBin™

Perhaps you could provide some information about what version you are using, and what theme?
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Tr4visT

Absolutely, I have installed version 2.01 and hosted on GoDaddy.

The two themes I have tried are called

backnblack_20g
http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=126

Name: Back-n-Black
Author: Crip
Type: Modern
First Created: September 12, 2006, 01:09:57 PM
Last Modified: June 17, 2011, 12:28:58 PM
Compatible With: 2.0
Downloads: 24258
Color style: Dark
Tableless layout: No
Notifications: Notify me of updates.

Blu-Tech
http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=search;basic_search=Blu-Tech

Name: Blu-Tech v1
Author: mafia7
Type: Modern
First Created: June 18, 2010, 01:32:34 AM
Last Modified: July 11, 2010, 12:16:37 PM
Compatible With: 2.0 RC3
Downloads: 1624
Color style: Dark
Tableless layout: No
Notifications: Notify me of updates.

kat

Strictly speaking those themes aren't SMF v2.0.1 compatible, as you can see from what you've copy/pasted.

Illori

there are no theme changes between 2.0 and 2.0.1 so the Back-n-Black theme should work just fine. also any 2.0 RC3+ theme should work on 2.0 given that they get a few updates, but the majority of the theme should work just fine on 2.0+

Tr4visT

Quote from: Illori on October 26, 2011, 10:17:12 AM
there are no theme changes between 2.0 and 2.0.1 so the Back-n-Black theme should work just fine. also any 2.0 RC3+ theme should work on 2.0 given that they get a few updates, but the majority of the theme should work just fine on 2.0+

Thats what I was kind of assuming so I can't figer out why they don't. Atleast if there was a problem with the install I would have something to go on but there wasn't anything reported and they do appear in the list of select able themes. I am sure something is wrong but I don't know what.

Illori

have you verified in the source of the forum that the theme was actually changed to? can you verify that the themes files have managed to make it on your server? can you check your file/folder permissions? have you tried more then one browser?

Ricky.

Just to confirm, have you tried to reset everyone to your selected theme?

Tr4visT

Update

I decided to delete the installed themes off the server and look for a "strictly" 2.0.1 theme, after finally finding one I installed it and it activated properly. Thus proving me wrong and the previous poster correct regarding version compatibly. So should anyone reading this have an issue with switching to a newly installed theme, be sure to confirm the version of SMF and desired theme you are trying to use are in fact compatible.

Unfortunately there are not very many 2.0.1 specific themes available...

Ricky.

Umm.. I don't agree , themewise smf 2.0.1 and 2.0 themes are same , also as Illori said, SMF 2rc3+ themes should work with 2.0.1 ( I am using at few places) and people fine with them.

Anyways, glad to see things are resolved for you!

Tr4visT

Another Update

Ok so since the original post I have started another forum and guess what? Again I have having issues changing the theme...

GoDaddy Hosting with SMF 2.0.1 installed, just to be clear the forum is installed correctly and operating under the default theme correctly. The problem being when I select the theme zip and press install it asks me to confirm, the screen flashes and thats it. It does not tell me it was installed and it does not list it in available themes to choose from. My previous problem above turned out to be a version compatibility mistake so I made sure this theme was for 2.0.1 but there seem to still be an issue. Anyone have a suggestion?

Adk Cool Black
Beautiful modern theme
Author: Adk-Team
Last Update: October 06, 2011, 12:41:08 PM
Downloads: 2512
SMF versions: 2.0, 2.0.1

IchBin™

Have you seen if you can manually install the theme?

You can do this by unzipping it into a folder inside your Themes folder in SMF.

All the theme files should be in a folder like this SMF_folder/Themes/adk_cool_black

Then go into the theme installation page and have it install from a folder on the server. You simply tell it to look in adk_cool_black and click install. If it installs this way, I'd say you likely have a server configuration problem which godaddy is likely not to change for you.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Oldiesmann

Are there any errors in your forum error log related to trying to install the theme? GoDaddy isn't known for having the best quality hosting...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Tr4visT

Quote from: Oldiesmann on November 15, 2011, 03:51:21 PM
Are there any errors in your forum error log related to trying to install the theme? GoDaddy isn't known for having the best quality hosting...

Congratulations, no errors found! Thanks for checking.

Tr4visT

Again just to be clear this is the second forum I am using GoDaddy for. AND it is currently installed correctly, no problems with the forum its just changing the theme that is the issue.

(god what is with the image verifcation I had to refresh it 12 times just to be able to read it!)

Tr4visT

Quote from: IchBin™ on November 15, 2011, 03:29:47 PM
Have you seen if you can manually install the theme?

You can do this by unzipping it into a folder inside your Themes folder in SMF.

All the theme files should be in a folder like this SMF_folder/Themes/adk_cool_black

Then go into the theme installation page and have it install from a folder on the server. You simply tell it to look in adk_cool_black and click install. If it installs this way, I'd say you likely have a server configuration problem which godaddy is likely not to change for you.

Update

I uploaded the unzipped folder into the smf themes directory where the other two default themes are. Then went to the install page and put in the path to it on the server (ftp), pressed install and it changed screens saying "it was installed successfully". However when I select Adk_CoolBlack out of the list of available themes and press save, it changes the theme to SMF - Curve while displaying Adk_CoolBlack as the selected theme.

As you will see below I have selected and saved Adk_CoolBlack from the list and it is not displaying it.

Illori

you need to reset everyone to that theme as well, or it does not change for existing users.

Tr4visT

Quote from: Illori on November 15, 2011, 05:56:08 PM
you need to reset everyone to that theme as well, or it does not change for existing users.

Ok, this is what I selected

Pressed save, and nothing happened.

Illori

link to your forum where we can see the issue?

Advertisement: