geoIP (IP to Location)

Started by Spuds, November 06, 2011, 02:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spuds

Thats what that looks like to me ... not sure why it would have not given you an error during install though, there are a couple of "skip on error" edits for the non-vital areas but not all those .....  If you attach your Register.php I'll take a quick look to see if the edits are in there or not ...

Jeff B

Okay, attached.   I do not see any additional files in sources either related to the mod, but there are tables created in the database.

Spuds

No trace of the mod in that file ....

My only thought is that since it did the install tables, is that there was some form of an error during that table creation process so it failed to do the remainder of the edits and file copys.  I did notice one minor thing in the add_settings.php file that may have caused an issue, and I added in a server timeout prevention in case it was that, and re-submitted the package. 

Before I did that I tried it as it was on 3 different servers without issue so the above is just a shot in the dark ... when you installed it did you get a white screen or did everything appear to go normally?  Are you restricted in how much memory you can get on your system?

Jeff B

No white screen.  The only thing I had to do, which I have had to do before with certain mods, is create a temp file in the package directory and set permissions on that. Once I did, it looked like a normal install.  The tables in the database are there, but appear to be empty.  I'm not sure how to know about the memory restrictions question, but this is a dedicated server.

Jeff B

Apparently, the mod was selective on what it touched. I was looking at schedualed tasks, and there at the bottom was a geo task.   Not sure what to do about this at this point. Perhaps go through each file and try to manually complete the mod? 

Spuds

On a dedicated server you should not have a memory issue, I just asked as on some hosts folks get limited to say 64M max and when you are dealing with a large amount of data as this mod does during install and more so during setup, well 64M will not cut it.

Anyway back to your issue.  Several of the tables will be blank until the mod is installed and the main database is downloaded and installed.   You should have several geoip_XYZ tables, only two of them should have data initially, those are the geoip_countries and geoip_regions tables, the others will be populated after you are able to run the mod and install the main database.

The only way that I can think of that would have allowed it to selectively installed things is if it did not have write permissions to the files that it need to modify.    Really strange about the schedule task since the uninstall log you provided has a fail on it for that file for uninstall which just seems extra odd.

You could certainly try to manually install the mod, there are several files to edit and quite a few files to copy to various areas (scripts, templates, sources, languages, etc).  I can only think that the installer hit some permissions problem and either did not create the sub directories in the package or did not have write permissions to the source files, or both.

Jeff B

Seems like I'm kinda in a pickle either way. I either have to go through files and remove information, or go through files and add info.  Any thoughts on what might be the best way to proceed?

Spuds

IMO, if this is your live site I'd let the package manager uninstall the mod and ignore the errors which all appear to be because the changes were never made in the first place.   You can double check that the edits / files / tables are gone (be sure to select the remove data checkbox during the uninstall to get the tables as well). 

There are a few known issues with the package manager that are being worked on, it shows up with certain server configs and package configs and thats appears to be what we have here  :-[

If for some reason things go 'bad' I'll be glad to help you out

Jeff B

Okay, thank you. I'll wait until maybe tomorrow night last when I have some time and back everything up, and give that a try.

I'd rather you had said the opposite, because the mod looked like it would have been pretty helpful. ;D

Fed Drago

Quote from: Fed Drago on December 14, 2011, 04:45:42 PM
Quote from: Spuds on December 14, 2011, 09:42:29 AM
I'll check on that but my initial guess is that since the database is large (the full geoip table is about 80m) that you are simply running out of memory during the SMF database backup which results in a white screen.  If you have access to phpmyadmin you can backup from there and just not select that table when you export.   

FYI thats not normally going to be the largest table in SMF but if the forum is new or does not have a lot of messages yet then it could be.  On my site the message and search tables dominate in the size race.

Yes I figured as much, I do not have any problem backing up my database from my server at all. Its only why I back up the data base from the forums maintenance in the Admin section. It's just convenient to use instead of logging into my server.

If you find anything please let me know. 

Also yes I only have around 200 messages on my forums so it is very small.

Thank you  :)

So have we looked into this a bit more. As I like backing by database from the admin of SMF. I do not always have access to my server to do the back up.

Fed Drago

I will keep my eyes open for an answer to my question regarding Data Base back up see my previous message above. I love this Mod but the Databases either have to execute faster with less memory load. I have uninstalled this mod for now ans also had to drop files from the Database as the uninstall feature does not do this automatically for you.

Thank you

Monzetti

Hi to everybody in here :)

i am very interested to this mod - downloaded it an try to install...

Like every time while installing mods, it will not work automatically, but in the past I was every time able to do the manually steps up to victory ;)

But not in this case...

I got all installation steps manually and now I´m at the point, every php works and looks ok...

On the administration - configuration - geoIP - screen we´re at the point to install the database - and now I have no idea anymore...

There are 3 options avaible: Complete, only countries or manual

For the first both options I always - at different times a day - there is the message, download of the database at maxmind aborted...

For the third option I manually downloaded both packages - country&location and only country. I unzipped them locally and uploaded them (one time the to csv-files oft the big package, the other time the csv-file of the small package) to the /Sources/geoIP ...

Now I selected the "manual-option" and now every time there ist an error message: Database Import Error

To my installation: SMF 2.0.2 on a Linux server, mySQL-Database...

What ist wrong?

thx for any help,

Monzetti

P.S.: perhaps I have to drop all geoIP-tables in the database and start new? I don´t know what I can try now to get mod running... :(( Is there a script to get geoIP db-tables fresh and correct after dropping the tables?

sd17

I installed geoip mod and once i logged out as admin, i started getting the error message

"Wrong Value type sent to the database. Floating point number expected (latitude)"

Initially I tried deleting the mod but was not successful and the entire database crashed. Again I re-installed SMF and installed Geoip mod again.

Again the same problem is repeated.

My site url is hxxp:anydoubt.in [nonactive]

Pls suggest how to delete the mod through cpanel as I am not able to login to the admin section to disable the mod

Monzetti

Me again...

two times deinstallation geoIP, two times new installation, every time at the same point...

......./forum/index.php?action=admin;area=geoIP;sa=main

// geoIP menu tabs $txt['geoIP'] = 'Geo-IP'; $txt['geoIPMap'] = 'Map Settings'; $txt['geoIPMain'] = 'Geo-IP'; $txt['geoIPSettings'] = 'Registration Settings'; $txt['geoIPOnlineMap'] = 'Online Member Map'; $txt['geoIP_info'] = 'GeoIP information for IP'; $txt['permissionname_geoIP_view'] = 'View Who\'s Online Map'; $txt['permissionhelp_geoIP_view'] = 'Allow the members to view the geoIP Whos Online Map. If not set, these members will not see the map.'; $txt['permissionname_geoIP_viewdetail'] = 'Identify Pin owner in the Online Map'; $txt['permissionhelp_geoIP_viewdetail'] = 'Allow the members to view which member a pin belongs to on the geoIP Whos Online Map. If not set, these members will not see the pin details.'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_geoIP'] = 'Attempts to retrieve and install the latest database (of the type you installed) from Maxmind'; $txt['scheduled_task_geoIP'] = 'geoIP Database Update'; $txt['cannot_geoIP_view'] = 'Sorry, you are not allowed to view the Whos Online Map.';
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 25167285 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/lentz-chronik.de/httpdocs/forum/Sources/geoIPAdmin.php on line 1007

...and afterwards on every page in SMF 2.0.2 this text comes up - puhhh - then deinstallation again :( ... poor.... can´t install the mod correctly...

Bye,

Monzetti

Spuds

QuoteFor the first both options I always - at different times a day - there is the message, download of the database at maxmind aborted...
Not sure where that error is comming from, the mod will say "Error during the downloading of the zip file from MaxMind" but either way its indicating that php or the connection to maxmind is timing out before the download can be completed.  You can try to increase the max_execution_time allowed in your php.ini if you host allows for that.

For the manual install you can try to truncate (empty) the geoip_ip and geoip_blocks if you are doing the Complete install, and if country only the you only need to do that to the geoip_ip table to see if that helps.  The database import error says that mySQL is unable to import the csv datafile which is not a great help, its simply letting you know where it failed.

QuoteFatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (
Your site is simply not going to be able to support this mod if you are being restricted to 32M from your host.

Spuds

Quote"Wrong Value type sent to the database. Floating point number expected (latitude)"
Do you have a line number where that error is getting exposed? 
Which database did you install, full or country only?
Map activated?
Registration filters activated?

Need some more information so I can try to understand why its throwing that error.

Gorion

I have exactly the same issue with the
QuoteWrong value type sent to the database. Floating point number expected. (latitude)
There is no info where the problem is, like line etc. See attached image.
I can't log in into admin. How can I remove or correct it?

Spuds

I'll need CP access to your site so I can figure out why its doing that .... I have not been able to duplicate the error on my sites so not sure why its doing that.   If you allow me access then PM me the login details.

Thanks

ETA: I think I have found the issue, seems to come from the use of the country only database, I hope thats what everyone that has seen this problem is using!  Please try the attached file, just overwrite the one by the same name in the sources directory

Gorion

Monzetti

Quote from: Spuds on January 20, 2012, 04:43:29 PM
QuoteFatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (
Your site is simply not going to be able to support this mod if you are being restricted to 32M from your host.

Hi, - me again :)

now I´ve new information: My WebSpace will move to a new server with 128 MB memory... Will this work with geoIP?

Greetings,

Monzetti

Advertisement: