Upgrade Script Freezes at Splitting Ban Table Step - 1.1.5 to 2.0.1

Started by smavros, November 06, 2011, 09:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smavros

I've seen this on the forums but I don't understand any of the fixes.  Most fixed it themselves by "deleting" the ban tables and i don't know how to do that (not mysql savvy).    Here's my error below and where it gives me the "server hasn't responded for 30 seconds thing".  I'm doing the web upgrade and used cpanel to extract the file. 

Any ideas?

------
Executing database changes
Please be patient - this may take some time on large forums. The time elapsed increments from the server to show progress is being made!
Executing upgrade script 1 of 2.
Executing: "Updating ban system..." (12 of 19 - of this script)

Updating indexes on "messages"...done
Updating table indexes...done
Reordering boards and categories...done
Updating indexes and data on "smileys"...done
Updating indexes on "log_boards"...done
Updating indexes on "log_mark_read"...done
Updating indexes on "themes"...done
Updating data in "settings"...done
Adding new settings...done
Adding PM spam protection settings...done
Cleaning old values from "settings"...done
Encoding SMTP password...done
Adjusting timezone settings...done
Installing theme settings...done
Renaming personal message tables...done
Updating indexes on "pm_recipients"...done
Updating columns on "pm_recipients"...done
Updating columns on "members"...done
Updating columns on "members" - part 2...done
Updating member approval...done
Adding new holidays...done
Updating event start and end dates...done
Converting other date columns...done
Checking for an old table...done
Creating "message_icons"...done
Inserting "message_icons"...done
Creating "package_servers"...done
Inserting "package_servers"...done
Updating flood control log...done
Updating ip address storage...done
Converting "log_online"...done
Updating poll column sizes...done
Updating attachments table...done
Updating boards and topics...done
Updating members...done
Recounting member pm totals (step 1)...... Recounting member pm totals (step 1)...done
Recounting member pm totals (step 2)...... Recounting member pm totals (step 2)...... Recounting member pm totals (step 2)...done
Converting server stored setting...done
Converting avatar upload setting...done
Updating attachments...done
Updating settings...done
Registering thumbs...done
Adding image dimensions...done
Splitting ban table...done

Illori

if you wait has the upgrade completed? usually given time it will finish, although it could take several hours depending on server configuration.

smavros

The problem with waiting i just learned, is you can screw it all up.  I left it over night and then came back to the page but nothing had changed (10 hours).  I pressed refresh and the whole process started over again.  So how does one avoid that?  I'll wait till midday but then what do I do?

Also, let's assume time isn't the answer.  What would I do then?

Illori

the other option is to run the upgrade on another server, or change hosts. also if the upgrade process is started over it should quickly end up back where it last was as the prior tasks were already completed.

smavros

Well you're right, in that it quickly returned to the same place again, but it's still stuck at step 12 of 19 and 31%. 

Man, who has an extra server lying around?  And why would changing hosts be the answer?  My host has served me well the last 10 years.   

Anyone else have workable ideas? 

Otherwise, is there a way to downgrade back to 1.15 to at least get the forum back up and running?

Illori

you can not downgrade unless you have a backup of the files and database already.

smavros

Looking for a bump here.  Can anyone with a true workable answer help out? 

I've seen people mention "clearing" the ban table but if someone could write how to do that it would be greatly appreciated.  Or if someone from SMF has any ideas what's going on?  "moving servers" doesn't seem like solid support here guys. 

Have now given the process 18 hours and nothing has changed.  Stuck at: 49% overall and 31% step progress at Ban Table update.

Advertisement: