Ability to set up "static" pages for documentation

Started by GJSchaller, August 16, 2005, 11:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJSchaller

I'm currently using PHP-Nuke as my content manager, and would like to move to something better.  SMF seems like it has just about everything I need - forums, calendars, etc. - except the ability to easily manage static content.

Basically, I'm looking for an easy way to maintain the site itself - the static pages that are the documentation / read-only / meat & potatoes of the site (It's for a game - so, the rules and other stuff that isn't a public discussion).  While I can always do it with good ol' HTML, I would love to be able to manage the content of my site online, through the same interface I use for the forums.

From a technical standpoint, I can see this being a "forum" that isn't on the Forums proper - rather, each page on the site is a "post" that is then integrated into a static page, instead of a forum post.  Admins would be able to add, edit, etc. the pages like they would a post, and any side bars or other features would be uniform thorugout the website.

Most Content Management Systems (CMSes) I've seen focus on overall management, with the forums as a plug-in or add-on, which makes it shoddy or difficult to integrate.  I would much rather see a strong Forum package extended into a good CMS.  :D

Thank you!

Geoffrey J. Schaller
Knight Realms - Technical Officer
http://www.knightrealms.com/

snork13

Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

1MileCrash

do what i do.

Create a txt file, and add your content to it.  Uppload it to the smf root directory, and then make a php page like this in the smf root directory
<?php
ob_start
();
$ssi_theme 1;
$ssi_layers = array('main');
require_once(
'SSI.php');
echo 
doUBBC(file_get_contents('whatever.txt'));
ssi_shutdown();

?>

Then, you can just set up normal webpages (that nobody else could find) with a form to edit the .txt file.
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

GJSchaller

While that would work for a techie like me, I'd like to keep it integrated into the actual Forums system, so that if i make someone an Admin, they can easily edit pages.  What I didn't specify in my initial request is that I would like to allow other Admins to focus on the content, while I focus on the technical end of things instead.

It certainly works - but something directly tied to the DB itself, and the forums "engine" would be best.  It looks like that mod may do it, I need to check it out.
Geoffrey J. Schaller
Knight Realms - Technical Officer
http://www.knightrealms.com/

gerrymore

Have you thought about checking out Bloc's Tiny Portal? It's still in Beta, but from what I've read it's well under way

www.bloczone.net/smf/index.php?topic=35.0
SMF RC1, Tiny Portal 0.75, Coppermine 1.3.3, Flashchat.

Advertisement: