Clear or Drop Guest Connections

Started by taysys, November 02, 2011, 05:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taysys

SMF 1.1.15

Is there a way to drop a connection from the guest account?

My problem is that I require everybody that participates in our board, including reading posts.  I get a lot of spammers/bots that though they cannot login since I am using a mod that prevents it, the connection is still there.  I have blocked the IP range but want to clear their connection.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks... Bob
Bob
Taysys Software Owner/Developer
Humboldt Tuna Club Web Admin

kat

Not sure what you mean by "Drop".

If you want to stop guests viewing your forum, you want Admin>Features and options>Basic Features.

UNcheck "Allow guests to browse the forum".

Illori

i think they mean that they want to keep guests/spiders and otherwise from spending any amount of time viewing their forum. there is no way to stop them unless they are the same users you can ban by ip address in .htaccess but otherwise no real way to "remove" them from being able to browse the forum even if it is closed.

taysys

I think Illori is the closest.

On our forum I have banned all guest from viewing the boards unless they register. If anyone (or thing) gets to the registration page then the spam registration page mods offered here keeps them from getting in.

I authorize all that get to the registration page.  If their IP is not US then I reject them.

But several foreign spammers have gotten to the registration page with many different IPs under the same host and just never drop the connections.  I currently have 6 connections that have the host 180.76.5.x.  they are also blocked in the ban list but unless they drop their connection their IP is still pointing to the index page.

Thanks for the responses.

Bob
Bob

a10

Maybe include the worst ip's in .htaccess, stops them at the door (but needs work to keep it updated).
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

taysys

Bob

Advertisement: