Show avatar's size on error

Started by Pyrhel, November 14, 2011, 02:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyrhel

Hello everyone.

A user from a forum, in which I'm administrator (fordclub.bg) asked me a question about the avatars. He has a problem with using an external one. That message appears when he tries to save it:

The avatar you have selected is either too large or not an avatar.

Yes, the reason was that his avatar is 165px wide, but the forum restriction is 160px wide. So, my request is (i couldn't find any mods) about showing the avatar restrictions. E.g. "Sorry, you're trying to upload an avatar with size 165x120px, but the limit is 160x120px.

Maybe it will be helpful for the users. Maybe I'll make the modification by myself until there is a release with such a function.

Thanks,
Anatoliy :)

kat

Hi, Pyrhel! Firstly, let me welcome you to the jolly ol' forum!

Secondly, let me tell you that I, for one, agree with you, wholeheartedly!

Oldiesmann

I agree as well - we really should show the size restrictions regardless of whether there's an error. That will hopefully help to limit the confusion.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

kat

I've always thought that the restrictions imposed on usernames/passwords should be stipulated, too.

It's damned annoying to be told "Your password should be ten zillion digits and must include Klingon digits, as well as Swahili" AFTER you've entered one, rather than beforehand.

ziycon

Would it not be better to resize the image to the maximum restricted size if its bigger, this way you would never get an error!?

kat

It'll only resize static images, though.

If your avatar's animated, it'll only show the first frame.

lambcrazy

it is true that users always faces that type of problem when uploading avatars. Users should check the rules before uploading the avatars ..

Advertisement: