News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Split messages selected by radio boxes

Started by Guillelmus, November 16, 2011, 05:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillelmus

Currently removing messages is very fast using the radio boxes. I'd really like to see the same feature applied to splitting topics. Select the messages you want to split and then click Split.

Antechinus

Worth thinking about. :)

I'm not privy to the reasoning of the original coders, but my take on it is that the current way of doing it allows for correcting errors if you select the wrong post. If you do it the way you are thinking of, you would be able to select them all easily, but you wouldn't get a visible list of what the content would be in each thread after splitting. This could be inconvenient later on if you have made a mistake.

Guillelmus

Quote from: Antechinus on November 16, 2011, 05:25:02 PM
Worth thinking about. :)

I'm not privy to the reasoning of the original coders, but my take on it is that the current way of doing it allows for correcting errors if you select the wrong post. If you do it the way you are thinking of, you would be able to select them all easily, but you wouldn't get a visible list of what the content would be in each thread after splitting. This could be inconvenient later on if you have made a mistake.
It's good to have two options. I split wrong messages all the time, but it's not critical since they can easily be joined back.

(Another feature request is to have ability to join messages directly from one topic to another without splitting them first.)

Kindred

???   You can already do this with the checkboxes

When you select split message, you can get a list of the entire thread with checkboxes to select which message within the thread to split.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Eh? I've never noticed that. It has icons rather than checkboxes. Which page are you referring to?

Illori

i think they mean on the message index, when you have quick moderation as check boxes you cant split threads, but i dont think it really makes sense as you need to split posts not threads

Kindred

you're right, ant....    icons instead of checkboxes -- but same effect. You can choose which individual posts from a thread that you want to split
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Yes you can, but it's not as fast as using checkboxes. Instead of just checking all the ones you want and then getting the split in one page load, you have to wait for the js to move each post one at a time. That's what the OP was getting at.

Kindred

ah....then I'd say ICK!    I prefer being able to see exactly which messages I've selected, in order -- especially when they are scattered in amongst ones that are not being shifted.
Слaва
Украинi

Guillelmus

Quote from: Kindred on November 18, 2011, 06:26:00 PM
ah....then I'd say ICK!    I prefer being able to see exactly which messages I've selected, in order -- especially when they are scattered in amongst ones that are not being shifted.
How about being able to choose between the two methods?

Antechinus

Might be best to try that as a mod, at least initially.

Advertisement: