davo88

The setup is...

SMF 1.1 Beta 3
Mercury theme for 1.1
No mods
Database imported from another SMF 1.1 installation
Shared web server
Php v 4.3.11

Been getting logged out frequently, but irregularly.
Sometimes I also get the dreaded "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

Here's what I've tried...

Repair settings

Ran Repair Settings and here's how they are set. All paths are correct.

http://home.exetel.com.au/davo/pics/smf/logout/critical_settings.gif

Cookies

The cookie name is set to a unique name
Tried two browsers – IE6 and Firefox 1.04
Have cleared the cookies many times in both browsers.

SMF Settings

Tried these combinations

Use database driven sessions ON
Enable local storage of cookies OFF

Use database driven sessions OFF
Enable local storage of cookies ON

Coincidence or clue?

The logouts often happen after I try to Preview a message. It says "Fetching preview..." but never shows the preview. Then, when I click on Post, it posts the message but logs me out.

PHP session settings

I don't know if this is relevant, but here are the php session settings on the server.

http://home.exetel.com.au/davo/pics/smf/logout/php_session_settings.gif

Any help much appreciated – Dave

davo88

Additional recent tests

Have tried turning off the Mercury theme and using the SMF default theme = same result.
Have tried turning off popup blockers and Zone Alarm firewall = same result.

davo88

What happened to the images from the first post? Aren't you allowed to post images here?  ???
(later... the links are still there but they're not displaying with img tags - so have added normal links)

Anyway, another weird thing about this logout situation is that it happens continually in the evening (U.S. time) but not in the early morning. It's now repeated that pattern for three days in a row. Could this be something to do with the load on the shared server?

The other odd coincidence is that when the logouts are happening, I can't preview either - it just says "Fetching preview..." but the preview never appears. The same problem happens on both IE and FF and continues after clearing cookies.

davo88

Now I'm getting some more consistent behaviour from this problem. If I simply view a post, then return to the topic list, it keeps me logged in. If I post or modify a message, then return to topic index, it saves the message OK but logs me out. Sometimes the log out won't happen immediately, I get one or two more clicks to other pages, then it happens.

I just tried this in both IE and FF 1.04 with "Use database driven sessions" both ON and OFF, clearing cookies and browser files in between.

If anyone else could try this for me, there's a test account available

user - test
pass - test

(URL obsolete)

Please make your post in the Test Drive forum - 3rd from the top - many thanks.

Compuart

I've run several tests using several browsers and sofar I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Also I don't see any abnormality in your PHP settings. I'm affraid I currently have no solution to the problem you're experiencing. Will do some more tests. Do keep us informed on your own progress regarding this odd issue.
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

davo88

Compuart,

Thank you very much for making all those test posts. I'm very relieved to hear you didn't have any problems as I'm about to go live with the site this week.

I may have found what was causing my log outs - a setting in my Zone Alarm firewall. I had Cookie Cpontrol set to "medium" - block 3rd party cookies and remove private header information. After turning Cookie Control completely off, I haven't had the errors.

I'm yet to test whether turning it back on re-creates the problem. Will do this later today and post back.

But I can't understand why this doesn't cause a problem on other SMF sites like this one - only my site?

davo88

Turned Cookie control back on in Zone Alarm and bingo! - logged out straight away. The level was only set to "medium" - Block 3rd party cookies and Remove private header information. According to this setting, Session cookies are supposed to be allowed.

So that was the problem. It's curious why it only affects my site and not this SMF site or others I visit. But at least it's solved.

Davo

J. Williams

Zone alarm isn't that good,stops your internet stupidly. my virus protection allows me to halt the internet on my pc only
Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

Advertisement: