News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Looking for help to integrate GOOGLE MAPS+SMF **Demo available

Started by Ride, August 18, 2005, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Reid

Maybe its because of the amount of wine I have consumed tonight - but Im not sure I understand your question ;D

Can you be more specific please :)

Tony Reid

TLM

It could be my brain is in "lets code!" mode and english goes down the tubes when I am like that

The interval between data reloading if zooming in/out on the map, table has it for going in...

TLM

Of course moving about a current zoom level will have to be figured in as well but right now just concerned with keeping the pin population down to a managable level.

Tony Reid

I certainly think 250 is a good amount of pins - especially if IE is going to take a while to draw them :)

As far as the suggestions on your table - they look about right to me.

I take it when you say 'Use from previous level' you are suggesting using thetotal amount of pins from that level?

Tony Reid

TLM

Means use previous levels data, and the reload is where all pins removed and data is called again but within the restrictions.  Same will be if zoomed in past... 15 I think (not checking)... and you move around on the map enough gonna have to clear old and download a new set of data for the new pins.  I dunno how well this idea is gonna work but should be ok I think.

Tony Reid

Its certainy going to be a bit of processing :)

I guess the best way is to test it in a live situation with lots of people.
Tony Reid

TLM

TLM

Started work on this and then relized, how I have things right now will cause issues...  Gonna have to alter the smf_members table instead of storing each in smf_themes on there own row.  Which means a larger edit.  How to store data to there from the editing of the profile im not sure how to do off hand but will be looking into it....

Unless I store both lat and long in the same var on smf_themes sperated by a ","... But that would then cause issues when having to pull an area of points having to read all and split to see if there the ones needed.

TLM

Just got the basic idea of how to check if the user moved beyond the boundry down on paper, dont have time tonight to finsh it up into real jscript but should be able to do it this evening (noted its now just after midnight localy).

I just hope it works when I put it into real code. Then we have a simi-streaming of points to the end user.

Tony Reid

I'm sure it will work :) - youve done very well so far ;)

Good luck,
Tony Reid

TLM

Despite the fact I came home sick today, I still tried, got the xml to reload but not when I wanted.  At least something went half way right today. :)

I suspect some logic problem that I can see past the fuzzy greyness for right now due to about to fall asleep at the keyboard due to the cold medicine

Tony Reid

I found this simple code for calculating the distance in kilometers using long/lat

http://www.web-max.ca/PHP/misc_2.php

I mentioned it earlier in this thread that it would be nice if a member could click on another members profile and see exactly how far away they are.

Once he mod is working that is :)

Hope your feeling better soon.
Tony Reid

TLM

Cool, also found how to add a scale to the display, does mi and km.  Although I dont think its right at all.

Ride

Did you need a US zipcode/lon/lat database?  I have a sql dump file if you would like it.

Tony Reid

Quote from: Ride on September 14, 2005, 05:39:52 PM
Did you need a US zipcode/lon/lat database?  I have a sql dump file if you would like it.

If you dont mind I'd like that if you have it in sql aready :)

Nothing to do with this though - just to play with :)

Tony Reid

TLM

Sorry guys, got side tracked in something else, but did solve at least one of the 2 major problems in the process. ;)

All thats left now is to figure out whats wrong with my logic in helping keep the number of pins limited.

TLM

Ok, I think im getting close to having this released, I am though thinking of making it 1.1 only, seeing how its due out sometime soon.

Tony Reid

1.1 makes perfect sense - especially as its RC1 already :)

no point in having two sets of code.

Tony Reid

Ride

Quote from: TLM on September 21, 2005, 11:21:01 AM
Ok, I think im getting close to having this released, I am though thinking of making it 1.1 only, seeing how its due out sometime soon.

Do you have it working with 1.05 now?  If so, I'd love to use that. ;)

TLM

I dont plan on working a 1.05 version, only 1.1

Advertisement: