"the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!" BUT IT IS!

Started by themavesite, December 06, 2011, 05:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themavesite

I want to install a mod through the package manager but when I upload it and try to install, SMF gives me this error

QuoteYou cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Though I set the file and folder permissions in /Packages to 777...

Anyone knows what the problem is??
TMS Forums
Since 2008 and still going strong! Join today! http://forums.themavesite.com/index.php

Illori

MrPhil

777, paradoxically, isn't always writable. Your host may run security software such as suPHP that blocks access to the [world writable] folder (and, incidentally, lets SMF write to the folder with 755 permissions). I don't think that SMF looks at the permissions -- IIRC it actually tries to write. So, a 777 permission will result in a failed write, and the message that it's not writable. Always start with 755 for permissions. Only if you're told that SMF can't write, try 775, and as a last resort, 777. Try to change 777 back to 755 when you're done with your update operation. But first, see if you're missing your temp folder.

themavesite

I made a temp folder, still get this error

"You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

I'm on my own VPS btw.
TMS Forums
Since 2008 and still going strong! Join today! http://forums.themavesite.com/index.php

Illori

Illori

themavesite

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 09:10:35 AM
try 755, not all servers like 777

Still get

QuoteYou cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

:(
TMS Forums

themavesite

Quote from: themavesite on December 08, 2011, 09:42:15 AM
Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 09:10:35 AM
try 755, not all servers like 777

Still get

:(

Nobody?
TMS Forums

MrPhil

1) You created the directories that are needed? (especially "temp")
2) The ownership of the directories are consistent with the rest of your site?
3) You tried 755 permissions, then 775, and as last resort, 777 (for directories)?
4) You tried 644, then 664, and as last resort, 666 (for files)?

TeeJay

I'm getting the same error message on numerous SMF sites
Tried all the above suggestions but no success
Running 2.02 on 1and1 shared servers

Illori

SimpleGost

I have same error and  i tried everything i'm on vps, i dont know what type of php to set...
suphp, or mod_php?

I still getting error, PLEASE help!

evildrome

pkrack

I was having that issue and got solved when i created temp folder. One thing i noticed that you should not have a temp file in packages. Like temp.zip or temp folder will also not work

SimpleGost

Guys , i found solution :)
just switch to mod_php_ruid2

all will be working great, as like in shared hosting ;)

BlondChick

SimpleGost

SOLUTION FOR THIS IS REALLY CLEAR, OK?

If you using shared hosting, just set permissions to your packages directory to 777.
If it didn't work, and even with temp folder, then contact your host via ticket, because problem is in hosting , and it will be fixed fast

If you using VPS , and you have problem with permissions, solution is really EASY, change php type, change from mod_php (or suphp,etc..) to mod_php_ruid2 and all problems with permissions, installing mods, ownerships will be fixed

MrPhil

Quote from: InternetFazoni on February 26, 2012, 10:52:12 AM
SOLUTION FOR THIS IS REALLY CLEAR, OK?

If you using shared hosting, just set permissions to your packages directory to 777.
SIGH. 777 (World Writable) doesn't always work!. Many hosts forbid such permissions and will bar access to such directories, Maybe you'll get a 500 error, maybe you'll just get an inability to write. But STOP GIVING OUT BAD ADVICE -- you should always start with 755, and only if that doesn't work try 775, and as a last resort, 777.

You need to understand how your hosting service has configured PHP, so that you know when PHP is allowed to write to a given directory.

opan

Advertisement: