News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

problem installing mods

Started by lepidas, December 08, 2011, 12:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepidas

I used to have the 2.0RC3 and deleted now I just installed 2.0.1,in a new server and Iam trying to install some mods but after downloading theme,then trying to install them it says   You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable! Iam sure that the folder Packages IT IS writable.Whats the problem?

Illori

do you have a temp folder in your packages folder?

lepidas

Illori

lepidas

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 12:08:44 PM
then make one
should I make it 777? or leave it to 755? (Sorry for the silly questions but thats the situation)

Illori

755 works on most servers, 777 does not work on all servers.

lepidas

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 12:13:54 PM
the same error occurred :( You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Illori

can you ask your host to verify the permissions and ownership on the packages folder?

lepidas

Quote from: lepidas on December 08, 2011, 12:24:30 PM
Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 12:13:54 PM
the same error occurred :( You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!
but WAIT, I gave it a ´777´ and I think worked,now it says
Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

I am trying to install the tapatalk mod now

Illori

then you should post in the mods support thread.

lepidas

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 12:31:00 PM
then you should post in the mods support thread.
it keeps on responding parse errors,tried it in a few mods...

Illori

then maybe your temp folder is not really writeable by the server, or has the wrong files in it.

lepidas

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 12:39:11 PM
then maybe your temp folder is not really writeable by the server, or has the wrong files in it.
TEMP folder created by me minutes ago,so the files in it why should´em be wrong?

Illori

depends on the server configuration, sometimes it does not like putting the files from the mod in that folder.

and it is temp all in lowercase not TEMP

lepidas

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 01:42:12 PM
depends on the server configuration, sometimes it does not like putting the files from the mod in that folder.

and it is temp all in lowercase not TEMP
yes it is in lower case.

So what are we doing now?I can not install succesfully any mod,  it says its installed succesfully but it is not or it can not be installed at begining.Thats very bad :(

Illori

sounds like your file/folder permissions elsewhere are not allowing the server to write to them

lepidas

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 04:28:37 PM
sounds like your file/folder permissions elsewhere are not allowing the server to write to them
should I make the whole /forum/ folder and whatever is underneath it 777?

Illori

and all your files need to be writable as well. either 755 and 644 or 777 and 666 depending on your server

lepidas

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2011, 04:34:29 PM
and all your files need to be writable as well. either 755 and 644 or 777 and 666 depending on your server
filezilla now is working in auto making all files and folders ´777´

lepidas

Illori, I think you gave me the solution,I tested 2 mods that wouldn´t work earlier and now it is OK.

lepidas

Quote from: lepidas on December 08, 2011, 04:53:47 PM
Illori, I think you gave me the solution,I tested 2 mods that wouldn´t work earlier and now it is OK.
No I don´t think, it is sure.Thanx a lot,me and my community we thank you very much for the quick and excelent support 

tomicko

I have the same problem, I put all files & folders to 777 but I still get:
You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Illori

please open a separate thread for your issue, this thread belongs to someone else and is marked solved.

Advertisement: