• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.
September 17, 2021, 03:07:41 AM

News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord


Converting VBulletin 3.8?

Started by MrMike, August 14, 2011, 03:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMike

I'd like to convert a VBulletin board with ~250,000 to SMF 2.0. 

I see a converter for VBulletin 3.6 and 3.7, but nothing for 3.8.

What converter should I use for version 3.8?

digitalmikey

3.7 Converter will work. However, be forewarned that all ~250,000 users will have to reset their passwords to access the forum after conversion.

I just went through all of this as well and is the only downside I've seen for switching to SMF. Luckily I only had a few hundred members.

MrMike

Quote from: digitalmikey on August 14, 2011, 05:41:14 PM
3.7 Converter will work. However, be forewarned that all ~250,000 users will have to reset their passwords to access the forum after conversion.

Err, my bad typo- I left out the word "posts". There are ~250,000 posts, not users. There are only about 10,000 users.

Thanks digitalmikey, I'll try the 3.7 converter and see what happens.

MrMike

August 15, 2011, 09:12:39 PM #3 Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:09:52 AM by MrMike

Quote from: MrMike on August 14, 2011, 05:57:37 PM
Quote from: digitalmikey on August 14, 2011, 05:41:14 PM
3.7 Converter will work. However, be forewarned that all ~250,000 users will have to reset their passwords to access the forum after conversion.

Err, my bad typo- I left out the word "posts". There are ~250,000 posts, not users. There are only about 10,000 users.

Thanks digitalmikey, I'll try the 3.7 converter and see what happens.

MrMike

I ran the vbulletin 3.7 converter and everything seemed to go fine, except it stopped at the "Recount Totals and Statistics" step. I went to the maintenance area and did a manual recount and everything seemed to be fine.

That was my first "test shot".

I cleared the db and did it again today, but no matter what I do it always seems to stop at the "Converting posts" step with the message "Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes".

So..............

1) Why would it work yesterday but not today?

2) More importantly, how can I fix this so I can do a full import again??

3) Does posting to the VBulletin board need to be suspended while I convert it?


Antes

QuoteYou probably have to change it for both the client (you are running to do the import) AND the daemon mysqld that is running and accepting the import.

For the client, you can specify it on the command line:

mysql --max_allowed_packet=100M -u root -p database < dump.sql
Also, change the my.cnf or my.ini file under the mysqld section and set max_allowed_packet=100M or you could run these commands in a mysql console connected to that same server:

set global net_buffer_length=1000000;
set global max_allowed_packet=1000000000;

maybe this helps quoted from someone.

Dan2331

Increase your mysql memory size, that helps...if you dont have access to ssh, you can ask your host to do that.

Advertisement: