News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum changed language by itself???

Started by crobbe, December 10, 2011, 06:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crobbe

Hi folks.

I have the Swedish lang pack installed but today the forum changed back to English by itself and even though I choose the Swedish lang pack in the admin area it want come back.

Funny thing is, the forum is on Swedish in logout mode but when I login, it turns over to English.

No settings has been touched, it just changed.

What to do?

Ricky.

if SMF is unable to find a file then it falls back to default (that is english) .. lately installed any mod or something ?
Can you verify if all your swedish language files are in place ?
May be re-uploading them ?

But have backup before doing anything (as I have mentioned in my SIG).

crobbe

Yes, I installed the Google Translate mod yesterday, didn't like it so uninstalled it, it may be that
that is causing this problem. Hmm.

To what directory am I suppose to upload the language packs if I am to upload it manually?

Ricky.

Just overwrite existing using
Admin > Configuration > Languages > Add Languages.
There search your language then overwrite exisiting.
PS: It may also remove your other mod's custom string (if they have in spanish).

crobbe

Did that, it says ALL files are identical so I get no overwrite option.

Problem still there.

Ricky.

tick the box next to them and click install, should overwrite existing.

Or you can download laungage pack and copy it to Themes/default/languages manually. ..

OR simply check files those were affected by your MOD.

If it this is the mod u tried.. http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3213
Then I don't think it makes any changes to language files.

crobbe

Should I tick all the boxes under theme-related files as well?

Ricky.

Yes, you can do that but please make backup before doing anything.

crobbe

Quote from: crobbe on December 11, 2011, 04:11:47 AM
Should I tick all the boxes under theme-related files as well?

And yes, that's the mod.

Ricky.

Go ahead (also make backup) and let us know if it helps.

crobbe

Did that, reinstalled the langpacks ticked all boxes and so on, problem still there.

What I dont get is that the forum change when I login, in logout view everything is in Swedish.

Ricky.

Quote from: crobbe on December 11, 2011, 04:21:20 AM
Did that, reinstalled the langpacks ticked all boxes and so on, problem still there.

What I dont get is that the forum change when I login, in logout view everything is in Swedish.

Oh man.. I totally overlooked, you already mentioned it in first post. .. looks like I need rest :P ...

There you go..

Goto your Profile -- > Modify Profile --> Account Settings..
Change preferred language to swedish ...

crobbe

No, that dosent do it either.
It messes up the Swedish letters completely and I didn't have that setting before.

Take a look at screenshot.

Ricky.

Do you have swedish-utf8 or only swedish installed ? Try utf8 version.

crobbe

Same problem.

The reason it is like that from the start is that when I installed the forum I did that in a different directory, installed the lang packs and after that I moved it into the /index directory.

So, the forum then was in Swedish as default when I moved the forum, but the profile settings was still English.

I dont get it why it just happened yesterday, very vierd.

crobbe

Here's an even funnier thing, the forum only shows English when I am logged in as Admin, when I use another, "normal" member login, the forum is in Swedish ones logged in as well.

:o

crobbe

Take a look at the screenshots below.

Same languagesettings for member and admin but 2 different languages.

Ricky.

In second screenshot, most probably thats not preferred language, rather its showing option to change language and english is first in dropdown list. Also, your preference are saved in db, so its not related to forum migration and once you have selected overall forum language from admin!

crobbe

The overall forum language is Swedish.

Now I tryed to change the ca17 memberaccount to Swedish in the profile, the funny letters appear, then I change back to English and the forum turns English, no Swedish anywhere. The Swedish is gone.

This is driving me nuts.

Ricky.

What you do is that make sure you have Swedish-UTF8 language pack installed and is overall language pack of your forum.
Also from Admin-- >Maintenance --> Database--> Convert HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters

Run that and see if resolves the issue !..

PS: Dont' forget backup !

Advertisement: