My thread titles are gone!

Started by wynnyelle, December 11, 2011, 11:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

The site is half down right now, I cannot access it at all.

The problem with the post bodies is the main issue right now, worse than the titles alone not showing.

Waiting for the site to come back up.

Thank you all for your help so far.

mashby

Now that your site is back up (for the moment :)), it appears that the two items above should fix both things. Confirmed it using Chrome dev tools (thanks for that tip, Flameboy). Looks like you already applied the post fix. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

wynnyelle

The entire skin is broken.

Now what?

Do you have a backup of the index.css? I may have lost mine. Kind of an emergency.

mashby

Uh, why would I have a backup of your CSS? :) Your server is the issue at the moment. Do you have backups of your site files? Does your hosting service have any?
- James M. Barrie

wynnyelle

yeah i found the backup and restored it. The code editor screwed it up when I did a save. I guess I can't use that thing agian.

One member says that the post side thing is fixed.

mashby

Do you have FTP access?!? That would be the ideal way to edit site files rather than the in site thing. :)
- James M. Barrie

wynnyelle

I have putty, but don't really know how to use it.

I'll likely just upload/overwrite files from here on out. The theme is working again, and the post windows text problem {but not the colour display problem} was solved thanks to you guys, and that was the largest of the problems so thanks :)

This is still not working:

http://warriorcatsrpg.com/nursery/come-little-kits.i-wont-hurt-you.open-anyone-that-wants-be-kitnapped.-309014.0.html

mashby

Quote from: mashby on January 06, 2012, 08:57:51 PM
I now see what you mean, although I didn't see it before:
#forumposts h3 span#top_subject {
    margin: 0 0 0 7.7em;
}
That 7.7em is likely causing the issue. I would change that or consider removing that whole thing. I disabled the margin using Firebug and that made it look just fine to me. Although I am now seeing performance issues on your site (waiting for it to load in Chrome).
Where's my money? :)
- James M. Barrie

wynnyelle

Flamer actually fixed it. The change to remove that .7em was actually what broke the theme :( But I was unable to fix it myself for a while due to server lag.

...I am not sure what code actually did fix it... :) I will have to ask him.

What are these dev tools you guys keep talking about?

mashby

So is this issue fixed and no one gets no money?

EDIT:
I am still not seeing the titles using Firefox. And removing the .7em should not have broken your theme. Not sure how you changed it given that your server was unavailable. In any case, I'm not posting to claim any prize. I really have no intention of claiming that. That's not what makes me get up in the morning.
Before.jpg is what I see using Firefox.
After.jpg is disabling this:
#forumposts h3 span#top_subject {
    margin: 0 0 0 7.7em;
}
- James M. Barrie

wynnyelle

I couldn't access it but during my panic, Flamer went in there and fixed it. I don't know what he did to fix it.

Titles are, yes, still broken.

Flamer restored it to 7.7 em like it was before. I had put it to 2.7 em to see what it would do, then it broke.

That's the situation :P

Antechinus

Sounds like your editor is borking things. Changing that margin shouldn't break the theme.

wynnyelle

I just tried Mashup's fix, and it appears to have fixed it!

But HCF still sees a non-title.

hcfwesker

probably just need to clear my cache on Opera.  Title shows when i switched to chrome

wynnyelle

Yes! So it is fixed! That's one more down. I think all that's left now is the colour problems.

Thanks guys!! We are knocking them down one by one.

Advertisement: