Page not loading on login actions

Started by fallenmaster1, December 13, 2011, 10:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallenmaster1

Hi,

Well. I deleted my PHPBB forum today, and installed SMF to check it out. Loved how it worked and everything. Though I'm coming across one error, and I get the feeling it's my webserver, but either way I'd love to confirm at least!

When I log in, or log out, or attempt to register, it simply does not load all the time. It seems random. Yet, if I mash the refresh button, after anything from 3 - 8 refreshes, it loads and is fine.

Of course this isn't overly major, but can, and is rather irritating. A friend of mine gets the same, so I know it can't be myself or my internet. Whilst another friend has it on his webserver, with no issues for a month or so.

Any suggestions or anything more I can provide for help?

Cheers!

fallenmaster1

Well, just a quick update for what I've tried already:

Optimized MySQL Database
Reinstalled SMF twice
Tried another template/theme (For some reason, the 3 I tried seemed to be missing stuff..?)
Updating PHP + MySQL
--Results from this;

QuoteVersion Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.1 (more detailed)
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.1
GD version: bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
MySQL version: 5.1.59
PHP: 5.3.8
Server version: Apache

Joker™

Quote from: fallenmaster1 on December 13, 2011, 10:22:12 PM
When I log in, or log out, or attempt to register, it simply does not load all the time.
Can you explain that part a bit more, i.e there is some sort of error or a blank screen?

Whats the error in the error log (admin panel and server error log) concerned to this issue?
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

fallenmaster1

Cheers for the response.

I literally get nothing. Just a white, blank page. I can't even see anything in the error log on the ACP about it. I get the feeling it could be a MySQL Database issue? Though I'm not overly sure considering multiple themes seem to miss certain parts.

Not sure if I'm allowed, but if it is, I can post up a link to the web address, and you could see for yourself just by merely trying to register.

fallenmaster1

Any other input on this? Still getting the issue.

Kays

Hi, is it happening with any particular browser?

Have you tried clearing your cookies?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

fallenmaster1

I've tried Opera, Google Chrome, IE, and Firefox. So I don't feel it's browser based, especially as my friends get the same issue.

All of which I tried to clear my cookies and cache, still same issue.

What I have realized is it just shows an empty white page with the address of; "index.php?action=login2"

Is that of any use?

Cheers

Illori

fallenmaster1

Joker™

If you get a white blank screen then there must be some related error in the server error log.

Moreover this can well be a host issue related to time out etc. It can be any setting.

For testing, can you install another test forum and see if the problem persist with it (test) forum also?
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

fallenmaster1

Another SMF forum, or, another forum system? I was using PHPBB Before with no issue what-so-ever, and I've reinstalled SMF and the MySQL Database about two or three times, all with similar results.

The timeout thing sounds most likely, yet, it ONLY does so on logging in, logging out, or registering. It loads forums, ACP, moderator, and everything else perfectly fine, which is what I don't understand.

Joker™

Quote from: fallenmaster1 on December 16, 2011, 10:07:20 AM
Another SMF forum
Yup, another SMF forum.

Also by reinstalling the SMF you meant you did the large upgrades?
One more suggestion, try to put your forum to "default curve theme" if you are using some custom theme.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

DarkT3rror

i saw that problem to the most forums using Simple Machines services. Sometimes these loading issues is comming from attackers....

Illori

that is not even remotely related to the issue the op is having and does not help them fix it.

fallenmaster1

I've tried reinstalling SMF completely, as in, deleted the folder on my FTP and any traces, then re-uploaded it with the full package (from; http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-1_install.zip <- ). And at the moment, it's on the default Curve Theme, still same issues.

Illori

are you actually checking your server error log and not your smf error log? what is the url to your forum?

fallenmaster1

http://forums.gamersunion.co.uk/index.php [nofollow] Is the URL.

Server error log isn't bringing up anything either...

Illori

well a white page should show some errors in the server error log, without them we cant tell what the problem is. who is your host?

fallenmaster1

https://yourwebhoster.eu/ [nofollow] is my host. http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ [nofollow] for the domain. Uses DirectAdmin for the control panel of the webserver.

Oldiesmann

I would suggest contacting your host about the issues, as it's likely a server-related problem. I got blank pages randomly when just trying to register - the first time I clicked register, after clicking the "I agree" button on the next page, after refreshing the main registration page again because the CAPTCHA image didn't load, the first time I tried to view the one topic you've posted... Definitely not something that should be happening all the time.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

fallenmaster1

Alright. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll forward a ticket over to them shortly, see if they've got anything on it.

Thanks once more!

fallenmaster1

Well, Got an answer from my provider. They say it's an shell_exec issue?

Says it's an issue on Line 3711 of source/subs.php, which that line is;

$test = @shell_exec('host -W 1 ' . @escapeshellarg($ip));

I was suggested to remove it, any ideas from here?

Cheers!

Illori

you would be best to disable hostname lookups in your admin panel instead of commenting it out. admin -> server settings Disable hostname lookups

fallenmaster1

Worked a treat. Much appreciated for all the help!

Advertisement: