SMF3?

Started by movierchives, December 13, 2011, 10:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movierchives

Just wondering if there will be one.  I remember SMF saying the time frames would be faster after the change to BSD license but haven't seen any talk of even an alpha being worked on?

live627

movierchives

So no SMF3 in sight, just SMF2 which was getting old before it reached final....................oh well worth asking

Illori

2.1 is not 2.0. 2.1 will have new features etc before it is released.

Sapozhnik

Quote from: Illori on December 18, 2011, 01:48:53 PM
2.1 is not 2.0. 2.1 will have new features etc before it is released.
when can we expect 2.1?  ;)

Illori

when it is ready, and not before then

OCJ

If there a draft feature list for 2.1?

Illori

no not yet and i dont know that their will be any time soon if at all. that is up to the dev team.

IchBin™

Many things are in discussion on what to include in SMF2.1. Once we have that list, you will get it soon thereafter. :)
IchBin™        TinyPortal

movierchives

I hope the posted urls are shortened, can't think of any other forum software that doesn't already do that, hell even phpbb3 does it

Anyway from whats been said it sounds like 2.1 is just in the head stage at the minute, I just hope its not years

Kindred

Why? Short urls are irrelevant.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Akyhne

Not irrelevant, but annoying.

Robert.

I'm happy with the current url format, I don't see any reason to change them.

movierchives

Quote from: Kindred on December 19, 2011, 09:17:39 PM
Why? Short urls are irrelevant.

It's all about making posts look smart and huge urls in links doesn't do that which is why all the other forums shorten them.  I think you may be forgetting that SEO can make some links huge

Kindred

what "all the other forums" do is not actually a reason to consider something.

No one looks at URLs... they copy/paste or link using the "like" buttons.
If you care that much, then install the pretty urls mod...   but, seriously, search engines don't give two hoots and thus, the URL has little, if any, effect on SEO
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

i think they mean urls like http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=462326.msg3232328#new get converted into something like http://www.simplemachines.org/community/..... without showing the whole url,

Kindred

which, as I said, is pointless and actually impossible...   there has to be some unique url for each message
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

not in the browser, but when you actually post the url it is shortened

Kindred

still pointless....
Слaва
Украинi

holodoc

I guess he is referring to SEO friendly URLs. If he is then its hardly an irrelevant and pointless feature.

Advertisement: