News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

v2.01 - Need PHP or SMTP Mail Settings That Might Work

Started by norepli, December 16, 2011, 10:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norepli

Hello everyone,

Thanks to Oldiesmann and Illori's insistance and help, I was finally able to deternine that certain SMTP configurations will work in sending mail via SMTP to gmail; however, once they get to the gmail server, even though I can see them in my gmail sent folder, they are actually never sent to their final destination. Apparently, when the gmail server receives the email, it simply "copies" it to my gmail sent folder and "marks" it as sent. So, I have run out of options because I was also able to confirm that my hosting company is treating the PHP mail as spam (thanks IPAGE).

Anyway, thanks again and I will now start to redesign my forum to work in a less enviable environment.

Best regards,

norepli

norepli

Hello all,

Well, I finally got Gmail working (thanks to Oldiesmann and Illori). First I used Oldiesmann's recommended settings and the emails started getting to my gmail account but (for some reason) they never got to the recipient (I tested registrations from another Gmail account, a lycos email account, and a comcast email account). However, I finally found an SMF forum thread that recommended changing the Admin's email address to "match" the email address specified in the forum's SMTP settings and, once done, everything started to work perfectly and all test registrants have received their activation emails.

Thanks again to Oldiesmann and Illori!

Best regards,

norepli

Syl20

I went through this post and have the exact same issue.  I used windows Mail to validate my smtp informations and I am able to send emails from Windows Mail with my gmail account as SMTP (using SSL).

I also double check settings under Mail --> Settings and also make sure the admin email address is the same account as the one uses in SMTP settings... Emails are still not sent from forum.

Any other suggestions ?  I would really appreciate any help as no user were able to register to our forum since September.

Thank you !

Illori

please open a separate thread for your issue this thread belongs to someone else and is marked solved.

norepli

Hello,

Make sure that your gmail account is setup as a pop3 account (not imap). If not pop3, enable it and disable imap. Let us know.

Good luck!

Advertisement: