News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Warning: Unexpected character in input

Started by popabawa, December 22, 2011, 02:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popabawa

Hi, completely out of the blue I'm getting the following error;

QuoteWarning: Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/legendsr/public_html/forum/cache/data_07bd7a22f0250471f5e7bd63d427aa6e-SMF-modSettings.php on line 1

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home/legendsr/public_html/forum/cache/data_07bd7a22f0250471f5e7bd63d427aa6e-SMF-modSettings.php on line 1

I've read the other posts on this error which suggest deleting the cache. I've done that but the error persists.... I'm a bit confused as to why its throwing an error on a file that doesn't exist any more?

Any help gratefully received!

Sir Osis of Liver

If you've emptied the file cache in Admin -> Forum Maintenance, clear your browser cache and force a reload (Ctrl + F5).

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

popabawa

Hi, I can't get to anything on the forum, all I get is the above error.

I deleted the cache via FTP, maybe that wasn't the right thing to do?

I've tried clearing the browser cache and the error persists,

popabawa

Illori

popabawa please do not bump within 24 hours we are all volunteers and reply if and when we know the answer

Oldiesmann

Browse to your forum directory in Filezilla, then delete everything in the "cache" folder. That should fix your issue.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: popabawa on December 22, 2011, 02:16:28 PM
I deleted the cache via FTP, maybe that wasn't the right thing to do?

Did you delete the cache folder, or just the contents?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

popabawa

Apologies for the premature bump  :-[

I deleted all the files in the cache folder via FTP. As that seemed to have no effect I then deleted the whole folder, also no effect.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Kays

Hi, I'm suspecting the file is being recreated. If it is, could you please attach a copy of it to a post.

If you have phpMySQL access, search the settings table for "cache_enable" and change that value to 0. That should give you access to your forums. You might need to delete that file again.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

popabawa

Thanks Kay's.

The cache folder is completely empty (via FTP) so I don't think it is being recreated.

I'm not sure if i  have phpMySQL access, I'll check it out and report back!

Illori

your host should provide phpmyadmin access or similar, if they dont you can install it

Kays

If it's empty, you shouldn't be getting that error as it looks for the files in there if caching is enabled. (level 1).

Have you treid refreshing your browser?

Have you got a link to your forum?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

popabawa

Yes, it seems really odd it's throwing an error on a file that doesn't exist any more but I have refreshed the browser and cleared out its cache...

Link to the forum - http://www.legendsracing.net/forum [nofollow]

Skhilled

It may not be that the the error is because the file does not exist but because a mod left code behind somewhere that is looking for it. Look for code in your SMF files from mods that you've recently uninstalled.

Kays

Did you install a mod just previous to this problem happening?

Do you have phpMyAdimin or some other form of database access. Do try to disable caching directly in the database first.

If not, backup your sources folder. Then download the large upgrade package and unzip it. First try uploading some of the basic files, load.php, subs.php, boardIndex.php. If that don't help then just upload the rest of them. But do back the files in that folder first so you can revert in that's not the problem.

My Mods

popabawa

Ah... I did uninstall a mod just before the error, that makes sense! Thanks!

Quote from: Skhilled on December 25, 2011, 05:45:49 AM
Look for code in your SMF files from mods that you've recently uninstalled.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for (or where)  that's causing the issue....

popabawa

Ok... quick update, I disabled caching in the database via phpMyAdmin but it didn't change anything, same error.

Kays

Do you remember which mod it was that you installled?

I guess the next step is to try replacing the files as I described previously.

My Mods

popabawa

Thanks Kays, yes, it was 'nneonneo's Shoutbox'; http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=585

It's the only mod I had installed.

Just so I'm clear, do I  replace the files in the 'Sources' folder? (after backing up)

Kays

Yes. If the problem is a file then the most likely ones are those in the Sources folder.

My Mods

Advertisement: