SELECT command denied

Started by thumbtak, December 23, 2011, 03:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumbtak

Sorry, the database connection information used
in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the
installation of phpBB3. This may either mean that the
installation doesn't exist, or that the Database account
used does not have permissions to access it.

The error that was received from the Database was:
SELECT command denied to user
'a3456r_smf'@'11.2.2.11' for table 'phpbb_users'

What do I do to fix this issue?

kat

Hi, Thumbtak and welcome!

It might be worth asking your host about this.

Illori

or reading http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=146192.0

you are trying to convert between 2 databases and your database user does not have permissions in both databases

thumbtak

I contacted support. The system says a responce will come in about 24 hours.

The hosting uses cpanel, and phpmyadmin. Maybe someone here can help me quicker.

Illori

if you read the link i provided it explains the issue, all you need to do is give access to the username to both databases

thumbtak

Quote from: Illori on December 23, 2011, 11:24:15 AM
if you read the link i provided it explains the issue, all you need to do is give access to the username to both databases

I understood that. I just have no clue how to do that. I never really messed with phpmyadmin.

kat

phpmyadmin gives me the willies, too. :)

Illori

you dont need to use phpmyadmin, your host should give you a listing of the usernames and what database they have access to, you just need to add the database to that user.

thumbtak

Quote from: Illori on December 23, 2011, 11:34:58 AM
you dont need to use phpmyadmin, your host should give you a listing of the usernames and what database they have access to, you just need to add the database to that user.

What database to what user?

Illori

that is what you need to figure out we dont know how you have things setup and what users and databases you have.

thumbtak

I understand what the two databases are I still have yet to figure out how to add the user from the SMF database to the database of the PHPBB3.

I need to know how to add a user in phpmyadmin as support doesn't seem to provide any help with doing this.

Illori

you cant add it in phpmyadmin you must do it in your hosts control panel. or just make a new smf install using the existing database and a new prefix and you should be good to go.

Exodyus

I'm going to piggy-back this topic, because it's what I have issues with as well, but mine are more technical questions now...

QuoteProblem: SELECT command denied to user
Info: The cause of this error is that SMF and Software X are in separate databases and the SMF database user does not have access to Software X's database.
Fix: If your host has cPanel you can add the SMF database user to Software X's database.  If your host does not have cPanel you can contact them with regards on how to accomplish this. As well as a last resort, what you can do is reinstall SMF in the same database as Software X.

So -

My hosting doesn't have cPanel.
My hosting also says that they cannot add a second user to a database.

So - do I manually download SMF and install it into the phpbb3 folder of my choice, and then run the conversion program from there?
Would that be the best option, or does someone know how to add a user to a database through myphpadmin & SQL?

Exodyus

Quote from: Illori on December 23, 2011, 05:35:30 PM
you cant add it in phpmyadmin you must do it in your hosts control panel. or just make a new smf install using the existing database and a new prefix and you should be good to go.

If this is true, then how do you get around having 2 index.php's?

Illori

please open a separate thread for your issue, this thread belongs to someone else. and please dont bump old threads. also your host should be able to help you with this.

Exodyus

Why would I start another thread for the same issue?
And he hasn't been around in a month?

Illori

it does not matter the way we track things around here each user needs to open their own thread so we can make sure their issue is solved, by adding to another persons thread not only does it possibly confuse that user, it makes it impossible for us to tell who has their issue resolved.

Exodyus

... lol?  ::)

Then lock resolved threads next time.

I'll ... repost my prior so that you don't have an anurism.

Illori

this thread is not yet resolved. as the op never replied that it is solved. also no one is having an anurism over you posting in the wrong place although it does complicate things for us.

Advertisement: