News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

HELP

Started by nomad856, December 25, 2011, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomad856

hi guys i really need help i installed smf on my website now nearly everything is working except
i am using smf version 2.0.1
my website http://www.4kingz.co.uk [nofollow]

• when i click send pm i get a white screen
  • when i click new page on simple portal i get a white screen
  • when i try to change message settings i get
        Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 98304 bytes) in C:\AppServ\www\Sources\Profile-Modify.php on line 2838
  • and i cnt do anything when trying to upload modifications using the smf way please help

Illori

sounds like hosting issues, who is your host?

kat

Welcome to the ol' forum, Nomad! :)

That error can spring up when the memory requirements exceed the default 8MB limit.

Panic not...

You can change the memory limit for one specific script by including a line such as this at the top of the script:

ini_set("memory_limit","12M");

The 12M sets the limit to 12 megabytes (12582912 bytes). If this doesn't work, keep increasing the memory limit until your script fits or your server squeals for mercy.

You can also make this change permanently for all PHP scripts running on the server by adding a line like this to the server's php.ini file:

memory_limit = 12M

If you don't have access to php.ini, your host will have to do it, as Illori said.

nomad856

thanks that seemed to help with that error but what about the white screens i think i know the problem but i dont now how to fix it in my sources folder i dont have a few of the .php with the selected errors so how would i get them as there suppost to get added automatically but they havnt

kat

If files are missing, simply get the files from the install archive and use FTP to put them where they should be. :)

nomad856

i have done that i still get white screen could you go on my website and try send a pm then you will be able to see what i mean
www.4kingz.co.uk

thanks

Illori

if you get a white screen there has to be something in your server error log. and we do ask questions for a reason, who is your host?

kat

I'm not a member. So, I can't send a PM...

nomad856

you could just register its open to registration and its a simple registration at the moment

kat

I can't change to the SMF default theme.

So, I can't check that out. :(

nomad856

done sorry about that

kat

Can you make me admin, for a few minutes?

nomad856

kat

OK. Some of the paths look a bit weird, to me.

Can you try this:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

and let me know how you get on?

kat

Some of the paths were wrong.

I've put those right. :)

Bloody PM still doesn't work, though. :(

Let me check some other things...

kat

Bugger.

I tried to set the file permissions to "Standard" and, of course, I can't, without your FTP details.

Can you do that, yourself, and see where it gets you?

Admin>Packages>File permissions>Use predefined permission profile:

Set that to "Standard".

nomad856

nope i did that and still not working i really dont want to resort in a new install

kat

As your self-hosted, this could be something silly that I know squat about, mate.

I suspect that, like me, you'll be in bed, soon.

Let's see if we can figure this out in the ol' mornin', yeah?

nomad856

i tried a few other things but still not got it working i have searched fourms upon fourms seing if it was because i was self hosting but the only thing i could find was mass e-mail couldnt be accomplished i have searched and my self hosting service is faster then any bought hosting service so there shouldnt be a problem with ram or anything i have no idea this is above my head lol i even cheacked the sources code and it all seems fine i am fine with you popping on anytime to help as u know im from britain too so were in the same time zone just send me a message letting me know when your ganna pop on and ill make sure im on at that time too thanks for all your help nomad856

kat

I was gonna check some files. But, I no longer have admin access. :(

nomad856

sorry ill sort that out for you just leave a message in the shout or fourm if u find out whats wrong mate ok

kat

Still no Admin access... :(

nomad856

hi mate sorted that out just let me know what you come up with as i have no idea lol

kat

Still no Admin access... :(

nomad856

sorry i had set you up in the wrong usergroup i set you up as admin not coder lol

kat

Probably tomorrow, then.

New Year and all that stuff... ;)

nomad856

yeat thats fine mate and have good new year m8

Advertisement: