can someone please explain "nofollow " to me .

Started by guddone, January 03, 2012, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guddone

I would like if someone can explain "nofollow " to me . I saw an article online that says nofollow helps to stop spammers but they didn't directly explain how and i have searched no follow on google but no useful information comes up .

vbgamer45

What nofollow does it tells the search engine not to apply any weight to the link for search results. So that means when a spamer posts on your forum with their link if the nofollow tag is there it will not help the spammer get higher search rankings. If the spammer notices this they will have fewer reasons to spam the board etc since the link carries no weight.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

guddone

Thanks . so how do i implement nofollow on my forum ?

vbgamer45

First check the modsite there might be a mod that does this already.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Spuddie

Sorry guddone for jumping on your post. Can anyone tell me how long nofollow will stay on my signature ? I'm not a spammer and my forum is protected by ZB Block and Admin approval only. I've had no spam on my forum since putting this in place. It's been many months now.
Am I to understand that Simple Machine doesn't trust me ?  :(

Cheers Spud

Illori

you need to have 20+ posts and edit your sig after that to remove it, otherwise that text will stay there forever.

Spuddie

Advertisement: