News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Statement regarding SOPA

Started by LiroyvH, January 05, 2012, 10:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiroyvH

Quote from: arrowtotheknee on January 08, 2012, 06:42:33 PM
I wouldn't exaggerate like that. In the event that SOPA passes and is used in all the ways that we fear it will be, the solution for those of us in Europe is quite straightforward: we just carry out - it just means we're going to be concentrating on European specific stuff rather than catering to European/American concerns.

Put it this way, if it were to happen, I could fully envisage Wikipedia starting up a European based server (if they don't have one already) in the .eu or similar domain, where the US has no real jurisdiction.

That's the beauty of the internet: it's fully designed to reroute around blockages. What will happen is that the US will be considered a separate internet to the rest of us, and the consequences of that are still beyond thinkable, but not insurmountable.

Also, the other question: if this is a best hope for the parties trying to push it through, what's their fallback position?

Unfortunately, many countries are participating in passing similar bills/bills that work together with SOPA.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement
Where SOPA is public, most if not all countries participating in this are keeping a complete silence about it towards citizens.

I think WikiPedia is currently hosting quite some servers in Amsterdam, but I might be mistaken.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

nvcnvn

I'm not in US, even not an English...so I yawn all the time when read this bill content and the other documents....
but...
Is it true that ...with SOPA... I cannot cover a song in my way and upload it to youtube?

Arantor

It's true that YouTube could be shut down over it, yes.

And even though you're not in the US, any .com, .net, .org or any other domain in the US registration area is potentially able to be shut down at the registrar level...

LiroyvH

Quote from: nvcnvn on January 10, 2012, 11:05:19 AM
I'm not in US, even not an English...so I yawn all the time when read this bill content and the other documents....
but...
Is it true that ...with SOPA... I cannot cover a song in my way and upload it to youtube?

Yes, unfortunately too many people yawn and do not care about the impact :(

karlbenson

I agree with the topic.

It would turn everyone into criminals, but without the ability to get legal representation as you'll never get your day in court.

NanoSector

I told the people at my school to fill in their e-mail to stop this from happening, they were all like "OMG WTF BBQ"..
I hope they actually filled in their e-mail address, they're idiots, they could as well have filled in their phone number..
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

nvcnvn

Quote from: CoreISP on January 10, 2012, 01:44:24 PM
Quote from: nvcnvn on January 10, 2012, 11:05:19 AM
but...

Yes, unfortunately too many people yawn and do not care about the impact :(

I yawn..but I do care about it! (I just yawn because I'm not good at English)
I must say "WTF" when you say yes...

I can't understand why someone can agree with that bill, event Hollywood....
They must understand that there flim or music become more famous due to how Internet work now a day...

LiroyvH

I think they are well aware of that, and I think internet has given them more sales than they would ever have done without the internet. Internet makes popular.
However, CD's are more expensive == more cash. And Hollywood + progress towards new era == fail.

If they would understand progress as good as they understand progress in video technology (for example) is required, things would be a lot easyer ;)
The greedy wolfs, however, think their sheep are running away through the evil internet. And that is why SOPA is so important to them... Like they care about free speech and all that, free speech does not equal money and thus is irrelevant ;)

busterone

Indeed. Greed is the real root. 
They are so blind with greed that they fail to see the positive potential in the very thing that they want to suppress.

青山 素子

Quote from: CoreISP on January 10, 2012, 07:22:01 PM
If they would understand progress as good as they understand progress in video technology (for example) is required, things would be a lot easyer ;)

They don't even get that all too well. There was a whole big lawsuit thing back when videotapes were introduced. You might have heard of the "Betamax Case", which was Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc.. The result of this case is what enabled a huge market of innovation to open up. It established that as long as a device was not significantly intended for infringement, the makers couldn't be held liable for any infringement by its users.

Anyway, the MPAA fought very hard against videotapes, claiming it would kill their business. Now they make over half their profit on the same technology they cried was going to destroy their industry.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

nvcnvn

One question.
If SOPA is passed, which domain register is recommended?
Current some of my domain still with GoDaddy.

holodoc

Quote from: nvcnvn on January 11, 2012, 05:19:01 AM
One question.
None. It would all be the same in the USA.

nvcnvn

Quote from: holodoc on January 11, 2012, 08:31:58 AM
Quote from: nvcnvn on January 11, 2012, 05:19:01 AM
One question.
None. It would all be the same in the USA.

So is there any ... not in USA ? Which some with good support and affordable prices...

Arantor

-sigh- SOPA affects EVERY REGISTRAR IN THE USA. Plus any US based domain (.com, .org etc). You will need to look for a registrar outside of the US, and one that works for non US domains to be free of any issues.

青山 素子

Quote from: nvcnvn on January 11, 2012, 08:43:29 AM
So is there any ... not in USA ? Which some with good support and affordable prices...

Hover is a division of Tucows and is located in Canada. Gandi is located in France and I've heard good things about them. Key-Systems is located in Germany and is the registrar used by The Pirate Bay. Their public registrar site is DomainDiscount24.com.

Keep in mind that most of the gTLDs are managed by US-based companies. For instance, com and net are operated by Verisign, Inc. Public Interest Registry manages the org TLD. To be safest, you'd probably want a domain using a ccTLD that is managed within the country it's assigned to. For example, au is managed by a company in Australia, jp is managed by a company in Japan, and fr is managed by a company in France.

Note that this won't prevent you being blocked in the US, but it will make it harder for the US government to seize the domain name.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

BCK

I'm in Canada, but totally agree, our rights in general are deteriorating fast,,this will kill many of the people/sites that are the glue..of the net..I believe they will start with smaller type sites etc, that can't afford to fight, and destroying them will scare others and the snow ball affect will strip our rights, freedoms etc...as said many times here..PLEASE STAND UP AND BE COUNTED,,Don't make this one of those I SHOULD HAVES...This is your right, so use it.while you have it....thx

holodoc

Not only that. Think about IANA and ICANN. The heart and the brain of the Internet coordinated by institutions located on American soil.

True, the Root DNS Zone operators are independent but if 1/4 of the servers (those which are located physically in America) suddenly comes under direct control of the government it would most certainly lead to dividing the Internet in separate independent DNS zones. Science fiction that doesn't look that much fictional anymore.

LiroyvH

choloman05

Cool, glad to hear you guys moved all domains from GoDaddy.

nvcnvn

Advertisement: