is it safe to delete mods?

Started by wynnyelle, January 08, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

-sigh-

Deleting 16 mods will save you a fraction of 1MB at best unless they're unnaturally large mods. Seriously, stop focussing on the small details of what you think will help and start looking for things that will make *much* more of a difference.

wynnyelle

Some of them I need to uninstall, and untangle from my code.

I managed to delete 2 of them without running into some kind of thing that stopped me. I figured that if it isn't letting me uninstall something, then there IS a problem.

Arantor

And you saved yourself, what, 200K of space?

wynnyelle

It's not about space so much as about clearing out bad code and code I don't need..

Can you help me with deleting these mods? If not that's okay but I'll wait for someone who can. Thanks :)

kat

With the fatal errors, you'll need to do some manual editing.

You know about the parser on the mod's download pages, one assumes?

Use that, but kinda in reverse.

wynnyelle

Oh, yeah the fun part. :P

Yeah I will go have a look at the mods one by one. Is it safe to assume that if the mod is uninstalled it has already withdrawn all traces of its code from my forum and can be deleted through Cpanel? I'm just trying to clear up clutter. Most of them are uninstalled, a few aren't.

Illori

if the files are writable by the server, then the mods should be uninstalled, if the server can not write to the files then the mods would not be uninstalled.

live627

Quote from: Illori on January 09, 2012, 04:26:33 PM
if the files are writable by the server, then the mods should be uninstalled, if the server can not write to the files then the mods would not be uninstalled.
...deleted, but anyways :P

wynnyelle

I have at least one mod that says it is uninstalled but doing its thing anyway.

live627

If it has theme changes, it could have been installed prior to getting WinterWarriors up and thus it would skip that theme since it was not available. Just a thought.

;)

wynnyelle

But they are working on that theme.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get these mods off my forum. I'm suffering lag AGAIN and it's never ending. I need to untangle whatever I can. I just need some help.

kat

I'm just kinda wondering, out-loud, here...

Instead of having things as they are and trying to remove things, how do you think it would be, if you kinda started afresh and installed the mods and customisations, again?

So, get the large upgrade and replace all the files that you have, with the ones in the upgrade archive.

Basically, why not upgrade?

Yes, you'll lose all your customisations. But, with a bit of luck, you'll kill the lag and you can add the customisations as you go along.

You would back everything up, first, obviously.

So, if the lag thing doesn't improve, you could easily revert to what you have, now.

Illori

Quote from: K@ on January 12, 2012, 06:28:32 AM
So, if the lag thing doesn't improve, you could easily revert to what you have, now.

i dont think that would work due to the database changes since RC3, i am not sure they would work with older versions if a revert was needed.

kat

If the forum and database were backed-up, both could be restored. :)

Maybe my wording sucked. ;)

Illori

but then some posts/users may be lost if they waited sometime before reverting.

kat

Of course!

As long as GS makes all members aware and tells them that anything they post over the next day, or so, might get lost...

It's what we'd do, anyway, when we upgrade from v1 to v2, innit?

We try it and, if we don't like it, we revert back.

(I'm kinda desperate to get GS upgraded, coz I feel sure that a LOT of the problems would vanish, if the upgrade was done. After all, RC3 was a bit of a dog...)

Illori

well then dont give the option to revert ;) start modifying 2.0.* to fit what they want instead of reverting to what may be unstable.

wynnyelle

Anyone have a spare $3000 to get my custom work all rebuilt? That's what it comes down to. That's why I haven't upgraded.

Advertisement: