News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

is it safe to delete mods?

Started by wynnyelle, January 08, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

I'm not being funny, here, GS, honestly.

But, paying all that, for stuff to be done on what was, effectively, a beta version of SMF was a bit weird, doncha fink? :(

What sort of stuff was it?

Stuff that we could help you with?

wynnyelle

A mod on subaccounts mod, several mods done on ultimate profile in addition to extensive cosmetic changes; and many more I cannot recall off the top of my head. I did it because originally the final of SMF didn't come out for such a long time. By the time it did I was too far gone.

Illori

i bet most of that can be done again on the new version, by doing a file compare to see the changes. but you need someone willing to put in the effort to do a diff on every file to see what has changed.

kat

Illori

i would even be willing to try to help K@ if he needs the assistance.

wynnyelle

Thank you so much guys! After all the trouble I've been that really means something.

I need to work on removing anything at all that is not necessary to simplify the process first, I think. There's so much junk on our site we aren't using. If that were removed we could maybe see the changes that are necessary, more easily and reproduce them on a nice new copy.

Illori

or you could just tell us what you dont need and we can work on while we work on updating the files as it will take sometime either way.

kat

wynnyelle

Thanks so much ;_;

I'm going to start with Double Post Stopper. We don't really need it, and attempts to uninstall it have been unsuccessful. Let me go dig up this mod and then match the coding to my own site. Would it be okay to post the results here? I wouldn't be changing any code just doing a side by side comparison. I posted for help to the double post stopper thread some days ago but have gotten no reply.

Illori

Quote from: K@ on January 12, 2012, 04:12:14 PM
As if I'd need help...

you are telling me? :O

i think it would be best to send us some ftp access to your forum so we can get the files then let us know what you want removed, assuming you still have the mod packages we can work on that as we go.

kat

If it helps, I have a test site, where we could bugger things up try things out and it won't matter if we break stuff.

Illori

i could set one up as well, but we need to start with RC3 and do the mods etc from there ;) and build up to 2.0.2

wynnyelle

OMG you guys are the kindest I've ever seen..I don't even know why you bother XD I can't thank you enough.

I am debating removing multi quote as well, but need to get back to the feedback thread for my members to see whether a lot of them use it. If they use it a lot, it stays.

If you check my other thread about the databse you'll see we had another crash today. I posted up the queries.

kat

Quote from: Illori on January 12, 2012, 04:16:27 PM
i could set one up as well, but we need to start with RC3 and do the mods etc from there ;) and build up to 2.0.2

Yeah, course.

Easy enough to blatt everything on my test site. Or, even, do a side-by-side, with a different db.

kat

Quote from: Groovystar on January 12, 2012, 04:19:57 PMI don't even know why you bother

I've been in similar places to you, in the past.

Others were kind enough to help me out. So, it seems only right to do what one can, in return. :)

wynnyelle

I'll never forget this.

Well, my investigations were stopped before they began. I went to the double post stopper mod, which lists Rc3 as one of its only compatible versions, went to parse it to get the code I need to look at and it says it isn't compatible. It won't show me anything.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1018

I'll look up the situation with the multi-quote in the meantime.

Illori

then parse it for the version it says it works for, that is most likely what you used to install it.

wynnyelle

It did say it was compatible with 2 rc 3 but also 1.1.4 and I used that and got the code. There's quite a bit of it. Most of it in Post.php and then language files, mostly, then admin permissions...it's a lot. :P

I'll download my own files of those and start having a look. What I'm concerned with is how to do a manual uninstall without breaking the whole forum in the process.

Illori

that is why i said dont worry about removing the code, let us know what has to go and what has to stay and we will deal with it.

kat

If you don't have the RC3 install archive, I can get it to you.

You could always overwrite files with the virgin versions, then, if you want to.

Advertisement: