News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Board Marked Read but unread Messages in it

Started by neugi, January 10, 2012, 11:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsthom

Can you /anyone make it work? Is this a hard job?

alsthom

alsthom

Everybody seems to give up on this.

I give up, too.

emanuele

I kept this unread, so I didn't give up...only time limits...
Attach your MessageIndex.php.

The query in Subs-Boards.php should be:
// This allows Snakehit's mod to detect posts that have
// been changed from the read state to the unread state
$smcFunc['db_insert']('replace',
'{db_prefix}log_boards',
array('id_msg' => 'int', id_member' => 'int', 'id_board' => 'int'),
array($earlyMsg, $user_info['id'], $board),
array()  // Don't remember what I have to put here because I don't remember the indexes of log_boards if any...
);

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

alsthom

Thank you.
I will try that.

I attach the messageindex.php

alsthom

We finnally moved to phpbb :'(
The only good thing in phpbb is the handling of the new unread posts. Only that!
I will continue to hope that someone can fix this.
I wonder if I should donate someone to do it.

Colin

Hi Alsthom,
I am sorry to hear we lost you. I hope this will be added as a mod in the near future and you can give it a try then.

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

alsthom

God knows how I am waiting for this!
In fact I was testing smf theese two months but I am really IMPRESSED! Fast, excellent and with simple and powerfull admin panel. Phpbb is a pain to work with, BUT it has this "feature" that my users want. (I want it, too).

Anyway please don't close this topic. I hope that someone, someday will fix it.

emanuele

The messageindex should look like the one attached.

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

MrPhil

So, as explained earlier, SMF's philosophy is that looking inside a board causes it to be marked "Read", even if there are still unread messages within it. If you want "Read" to mean "there are no unread messages inside it", that should be quite possible. You would have to look at all the topic "read/unread" flags that will be listed inside the board to see if there are any unread messages. That's probably a bit more of a database load. @emanuele, is that what the MessageIndex.php you just attached doing? If it works for @alsthom, perhaps it could be made a mod?

emanuele

It's part of the changes described in the linked topic. It should work, but I didn't check it, just trusted the topic. :P

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

MrPhil

Maybe SMF needs different icons for the boards --

• You have looked in the board since the last update, and have no unread messages
  • You have looked in the board since the last update, but still have some unread messages
  • The board has been updated since you last looked, and has unread messages
Maybe it could be done better with a base icon or two (current updated/not updated since your last visit), and add-on overlays (locked*, pinned*, unread messages subicons)? Does it cost any more (in processing cycles) to tell if the board has been updated since you were last in there, versus telling if there are any unread messages? If they can both be done on the same pass, it might be worth distinguishing between the two.

* useful for topics, but I don't think they're currently used for boards

emanuele

The issue is usually not the icons, but the fact that to obtain that effect you need to run few queries more on each messageindex/boardindex page load.
Of course it may not be an issue, but it could also be...

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

alsthom

I think that the problem is relaying somewhere else, but I don't have the knowledge to look for it.

If you remove some lines of code, as described here
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=465097.msg3248028#msg3248028
the system is behaving excactly as phpbb (or as I would like it).

But it shows as unread the poster's post to the poster himself. I think this is the point that needs attention.

On the other hand (with the old mod of snakehit) it doesn't work in 2.0.2.
The messageindex that emanuelle has attached  has error in line 215 (can't recall it now)

Advertisement: